Bizarre F1 Crash This Morning

Beavis

What happened to the tethers that are suppose to keep the wheels attached to the bulk of the car???

And why design it so that if 1 upright fails the other is instantly overloaded? Time for another change in the design rules to make the drivers safe

What happened to the tethers that are suppose to keep the wheels attached to the bulk of the car???
They were attached to the uprights which were the cause of the problem so the wheels came straight off. Very strange accident, but not utterly dissimilar to a spyker accident in 2006:

Bloody hell glad he is ok :) anyway what made me laugh :lol: was he was still trying to stear when he had no wheels on :lol::lol::lol: just tickled me :bounce:

Ste .

I noticed that too, must just be instinct of a racing driver to try and steer into the skid, wouldn't have made any difference though without wheels

Interview with Buemi afterwards

"I've never seen this before and if you look at the on board I keep the steering wheel in my hand but it didn't really help"

Apprently the part of the car they tether it to can take 5000KG of force on them and they still broke :scare:

yeah, what was really impressive is that only the right upright failed, but because it went, the left was almost instantly overloaded causing it to go as well!

must have been an absolutely insane amount of energy being passed around! toro rosso are running the previous version of the uprights now rather than the newer ones they brought to shanghai which is probably for the best!

these things happen from time to time, my guess is there was a flaw in that particular one. the mathmatics on the design would be to spread the weight over both axles, cars were never designed to run on 3 wheels. if one comes off your pretty much out of the race anyway.

it won't be a major issue or it would be happening all the time.

and no if he'd had nuts like mine the wheel still would have come off as it wasn't his nuts that failed