New 370z order - showroom tax

stevethejuggler

Hi

Sorry if this has already been covered but I have a question. I ordered a brand new 370z from Westway Nissan in Sutton Coldfield. I ordered it over a month ago and agreed the price and signed the contract/invoice. This price included the usual road tax price but the dealer phoned me up yesterday saying that the car will be delivered in late may so I will be liable for the difference in price with the new showroom tax for an extra 500 quid. Is this right, nothing was mentioned about the new tax on the day I ordered? Haven't I already agreed the price I should pay?

Steve

Maybe because its being delivered in a new finnancial year, the new car tax regulations are kicking in and they didn't think about it when selling to you. Sounds like they are trying to sting you with it now though. To me if you have agreed 'on the road prices' and signed a contract then they should take the hit!

When did they expect it to land? If it was after the new showroom tax was introduced then you should be paying it, but it looks like they forgot to add it. So they are probably legally right in adding it, but I would push them for some good will gesture like £500 worth of servicing or something. Basically they cocked it up, but probably can charge you for it :thumbdown:

Maybe because its being delivered in a new finnancial year, the new car tax regulations are kicking in and they didn't think about it when selling to you. Sounds like they are trying to sting you with it now though. To me if you have agreed 'on the road prices' and signed a contract then they should take the hit!

If they try and argue the point tell them you are pulling out the sale and taking your business elsewhere - that may help them change their minds.

Not sure where you stand legally but you have agreed a price and done the deal. If they have forgotten to add on any extras then that's their fault and should take the hit for it.

What if they were to turn round and say ... oh by the way we forgot this and this and this and all of a sudden you are facing an extra few thousand pounds on top of what was agreed ?!.

I'd tell them to poke it or , as Chris says , compensate you some other way by giving servicing or something else useful for the equivalent additional amount.

Not sure where you stand legally but you have agreed a price and done the deal. If they have forgotten to add on any extras then that's their fault and should take the hit for it.

What if they were to turn round and say ... oh by the way we forgot this and this and this and all of a sudden you are facing an extra few thousand pounds on top of what was agreed ?!.

I'd tell them to poke it or , as Chris says , compensate you some other way by giving servicing or something else useful for the equivalent additional amount.

+1 - it is their mistake not yours! They should've thought of the hike in tax -tell them you'll be asking for advice from Consumer Direct / Trading standards that should shut them up :thumbs:

this is very common, and they will have warned you about it, probably when you were drouling looking at the new car. This is why when the tax was cheap lots of garages after it moved offered to pay the extra in tax etc..

When my other half was looking at sciroccos they had a wait of almost a year at one point and they openly said they had no idea if the tax would be more or less...

+1 - it is their mistake not yours! They should've thought of the hike in tax -tell them you'll be asking for advice from Consumer Direct / Trading standards that should shut them up :thumbs:

I would very carefully read the contract before hitting up Trading Standards. I think you'll find the contract will have plenty of holes for them to add "unforseen" costs, it will be a fairly standard contract which will be very well written :dry:

If there is such a clause then there will also be the option to walk away at any time - there is no way such a contract could exist without the option to walk away if said 'unforseen costs' have to be added - consumer law couldn't possibly allow that otherwise it is carte blanche for dealers to get someone to sign on a dotted line and then add what they want!!

I still say that if the deal is done then there is no way any sane person will happily agree to pay more :shrug:

Thanks for the replies, I have seeked legal advice and have been recommended to challenge the dealer about this :boxing: Being as the dealer didn't warn me that showroom tax may make a difference to the price then I may have a valid argument and also the right to cancel my order :thumbdown: I personally think the salesman has made a genuine mistake by not realising that he should have charged the extra tax but there is also the possibility he was just trying to get the sale in at the time. I'll let you all know what happens!

Steve

If there is such a clause then there will also be the option to walk away at any time - there is no way such a contract could exist without the option to walk away if said 'unforseen costs' have to be added - consumer law couldn't possibly allow that otherwise it is carte blanche for dealers to get someone to sign on a dotted line and then add what they want!!

I still say that if the deal is done then there is no way any sane person will happily agree to pay more :shrug:

Totally agree. The problem may then be making the decision to pay up or walk away and order a new one somewhere else :headhurt:

Just push the dealership and tell them you are fully prepared to walk away from the deal. They'll poop a brick and let you have it for free :thumbs:

mmm it will be interesting to see what happens but VAT is know to be a figure that changes and that is generally accepted, and as i said with the VW were were looking at they clearly said that they had no idea what would happen to VAT and teh waits were so long you could agree a price but then it would go up.

However tbh what is teh difference in teh cost, like £500? they wont want to lose a deal for that so they will just sort it i imagine (although depending on what deposit you have paid)

Good luck though!

Don't be fooled by the @*!# that the salesman made a mistake. He doesn't work out the prices. In major retailers these are fixed by the sales manager and the finance manager, the salesman is merely a messenger between them and you. They've screwed up, not him, so don't feel sorry for him. There will no doubt be some sort of get out clause for the company but stick to your guns, they won't want a £30k plus car in stock for a day longer than they need to.

All comes down to the contract. You need to go and read it carefully. Not sure how you can be given any advice without looking at the contract as if it says "The price may vary according to the taxes applicable at delivery date" then they have thier get out clause. If there is nothing in there about additional costs then your sorted. Whether its a geniune mistake or not, its thier mistake so they can take it out of the nice profit they make on a 30K car.

Hi again,

Spoke to the salesman yesterday and turns out firstly he made a mistake anyway and its around £150 less than he thought. Apparently it falls in the showroom tax band of around £750. He's also offered to pay £150 towards this so i woild have to make up the 150 to 200 pound difference. The problem is they gave me a really good deal on trading in my 350z and so if I cancel and order elsewhere I will lose value on my trade in as it has already been a over a month since I did the deal and I would also have to restart the waiting process if I order a new one from a different garage. I'm still not completely happy about it but I don't think I am going to gain by going elsewhere as I will definitely have to pay the showroom tax then anyway. The salesman even suggessted that he could cancel the deal if the garage felt they weren't making any money on the car...so basically he's making it sound like the contract isn't worth the paper it was written on. I bet if it was the other way round they would be using the contract (which doesn't include any price change clauses btw) to their advantage.

I bet they don't want the order to fall through. They can say they can cancel the order but they don't want a 30K car sitting there waiting to be sold. I would try and push them again. Sounds like they admit its thier fault. Also remember that cash flow is a major issue at the moment for dealers with such low volume of sales so 30K sitting in storage is not good for them.

If you still end up paying get freebees out of them. These cost hardly anything to the dealer so matts, first service etc

As the salesman made the mistake, its probabaly more about the salesman losing his commission given the sum involved ;)

Best to haggle for free servicing or something else that the salesman might be able to give as 'compensation'.

I've already got 2 years free servicing out of them but I could do with some mats ;) The guy was sure that he told me about the tax but I know for sure he didn't as I only heard about it after I had ordered. I'll see if I can push him a bit further though as its worth trying although it has made it all a bit bittersweet though :dry:

I've already got 2 years free servicing out of them but I could do with some mats ;) The guy was sure that he told me about the tax but I know for sure he didn't as I only heard about it after I had ordered. I'll see if I can push him a bit further though as its worth trying although it has made it all a bit bittersweet though :dry:

If they knew about it at the time of sale, it would be listed in the contract/summary of sale and would be included in the price.

As you have free servicing, push for free footwell and boot mats. Maybe get cheeky and ask for illuminated kick plates if they take your fancy ;)

Dont fret it too much, once you get behind the wheel, all will be forgotten :drive1