Anyone recommend a obd2 code reader

doctor austin

I have just bought a new CAN OBDII Memoscan reader of ebay (about £30) that is supposed to read all codes including Nissan but it doesn't ! It works on other non Nissan cars though. So rather that keep buying ones that wont read Nissan codes can anyone recommend one (thats not too expensive) ... Oh its a Japanese Fairlady import does that make any differance??? Thanks Brgds Nick

This has been asked before, but I don't think we ever got a positive answer for the JDM models.

I thought about getting an RAC one from Argos, when they were on offer last summer, but was put off by the fact that nobody could confirm that it would work.

• 2 weeks later...

So still tying to find a scanner or lap top software /cable that will read the codes for an JDM Z, surley someone must of done it? Have tried another one today but no, it reads a UK car but not an import... I really would like the ability to conveniently read any codes and see whats happening with sensors etc. So please PM me if you have a reader or software that you know will read the codes etc from a JDM. Once I solve this one I may be able to locally read any Z's that need it in and around Cambridge.... :dry:

Alright Doc was nice to meet up today,sorry we didn't have any more luck on your car.

For those wondering what we tried it was a USB to serial OBDII cable running on ELM 327 (thats the cable part) reads my car fine, but won't give any readout on the JDM.

must be a different pin layout for UK to JDM cars,

I'm Guessing that the Consult system that nissan runs does read JDM, but thats big money.

What do the Japs use?

are the Yanks likely to suffer the same issues, if so what do they run?

Hello Rich. Yes it was good meeting you and your wife. Thank you for your time and patience. Shame we couldn't read anything through the 16 pin socket though. The pins that are connected are 4,5,6,7,8,14 & 16. not sure if that helps!! Once this is cracked I am sure lots of JDM owners would be interested. BTW So what is Inovate LM2? scanning around the internet I wonder if the protocol used on the jap cars is ISO9141? not that I have ANY understanding of the subject.

Dont forget if you are around Cambridge do call in......... :help:

quote="rtbiscuit"]Alright Doc was nice to meet up today,sorry we didn't have any more luck on your car.

For those wondering what we tried it was a USB to serial OBDII cable running on ELM 327 (thats the cable part) reads my car fine, but won't give any readout on the JDM.

must be a different pin layout for UK to JDM cars,

I'm Guessing that the Consult system that nissan runs does read JDM, but thats big money.

What do the Japs use?

are the Yanks likely to suffer the same issues, if so what do they run?

I have been considering the LM-2, i have used the LM-1 for some years, very good piece of kit if you do your own tuning, the LM-2 is not only a wideband controller and OBD11 code reader it will also data log.

Question for those who have this, did you go for the twin channel, as to be accurate it would need the two sensors fitted before the cats/or in the decats.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have recommended this before because i have heard some good things about it. so many features and protocols :thumbs: I was going to pick up one and have JDM guys try it on JDM in Wales or other meets but there so much i have to deal with now so its not priority ;)

Autel maxiscan MS509

Price range from 50-100 quids depending where you get it from :surrender:

info:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autel-MaxiScan-MS ... 45eb74244c

I have recommended this before because i have heard some good things about it. so many features and protocols :thumbs: I was going to pick up one and have JDM guys try it on JDM in Wales or other meets but there so much i have to deal with now so its not priority ;)

Autel maxiscan MS509

Price range from 50-100 quids depending where you get it from :surrender:

info:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autel-MaxiScan-MS ... 45eb74244c

Its no good making a reccommendation if nobody knows if it works on the JDM cars

Its no good making a reccommendation if nobody knows if it works on the JDM cars

Its proven to work on other JDM cars so i would think it would work on the zed.

There are 9 CAN & OBD II protocols and it supports all these :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
I was under the impression that despite covering the protocols listed, it needs to be JOBD-2 compliant? that only seems to list the EOBD-2 and OBD-2, or is it just a case of if it covers all the protocols it should work?

JOBD-2 was from 2002 onwards I think... so should be ok with the Nissan's.... but I'm not 100% sure... I'll ask since I'm looking to get some sort of tool in the future :D

Tried this one yesterday:

http://www.greddy.com/home/?id=282

Works fine on the Altezza and the Z :thumbs: Gives you loads of stuff (check the link) codes etc, I had a quick gander around and couldn't find any reason for me getting it since I got the haltech. Trying to find some sort of Haltech windows gauge system but having a hard time finding one. Currently speaking with a few dealers on the fleebay about this and I've got one willing to send me an ELM327 to test with and if it doesn't work I can send it back... (will see if that last part is true soon enough)

The new ELMScan5 seems to be working for JODB cars (which our Nissan should have?) trying to find some nice cluster gauge that you can use in Windows too... :dummy: Did find some old HaltecWin stuff but seems to be old and shelved... bet you I'm missing something in the software itself! :blush: