2nd Gear!!!

matty316

How are you driving the car? In my experience the change from 1st to 2nd shouldn't be made too quick or it can be rough

Is it all the time? In my experience the gearbox oil takes a while to warm and changes (esp 2nd) can be tough until the box has warmed.

The gear change into 2nd when first starting is a common problem. Although after the first sometimes 2nd change into 2nd gear mine is fine. I don't usually have a problem changing down into 2nd mainly just up when cold. I do think that 2nd gear is probably the most common problem gear though (in terms of changing gear). Sure others will be along soon with more info. :thumbs:

if it just while cold like the rest of us i find it eayest to just skip 2nd and go to third but after about 1/2mile its fine. so for me that out the drive up the hill and by the time im out of my estate its fine but first time i go for its a no go without silly force .

if its all the time then you may have an issue.

Does anyone get this issue into third? I found when I'm hoofing it all the way up the 6k in 2nd that I always miss 3rd gear, then end up releasing the clutch while in neutral and re-engaging 3rd. Oh and look like a tit.

I'm not convinced it's entirely me being a retard, but I don't know!

Had same issues and slighty notchy droping down the box in track conditions or fast road work a while back but this was been cured after i changed the gear oil for Motul gear 300. Also changed diff oil as i was so impressed. Now EVERY fluid in the car is motul :teeth:

However, there is a small stiffness when very cold which as everyone knows it's normal for the zed but i usually drive off only after the engine is up to temp :p

Or just get remote start, leave your car to warm up and then when you drive the car you reduce the wear and tear on the engine dramatically.

First 90% of wear on the engine is when its cold.

Accelerating briskly with a cold engine can cause the engine's head gaskets to fail.

Engine wear occurs most swiftly not during high-speed driving but in the first moments after a car has been started, when the cylinders are starved for oil.

So in other words let it warm up before even moving off if you really love your car xD

This can be realling annoying when driving spiritly away from the lights when your trying to dispatch a corsa or saxo. It really wound me up at santa pod and cost me a race against an impreza :blush:

Like you say though it gets better as the car warms up.

Just another distinguishing feature of our lovelly car :lol:

Or just get remote start, leave your car to warm up and then when you drive the car you reduce the wear and tear on the engine dramatically.

First 90% of wear on the engine is when its cold.

Accelerating briskly with a cold engine can cause the engine's head gaskets to fail.

Engine wear occurs most swiftly not during high-speed driving but in the first moments after a car has been started, when the cylinders are starved for oil.

So in other words let it warm up before even moving off if you really love your car xD

All very true - with the exception you don't need to leave the car stationary while it warms up. You can drive off immediately but keep the revs below 3/3.5k for first ten mins at least. Normal operating oil temp takes at least 10-15 mins. Modern engines fill with oil immediately so would never be starved in any areas but the oil will circulate better and become much more efficient when at normal operating temps. To aid all of this I always drive under 3 to 3.5k revs for first ten mins at least (more in winter). My old golf used to have an oil temp gauge and was perfect for knowing when it was safe to take the revs much higher. Was very surprised not to find an oil temp setting in the trip computer on the 350z. I now normally wait until the oil pressure gauge in the 350 sits just below middle at crusing speeds.

I've found that for the first 10 mins or so the best thing to do is NOT use a diagonal motion when trying to engage 1st or 2nd.

If you push the shift centrally to the left and then up or down, L-shape fashion then it'll slot in easier when cold.

It's still a bit of pain to get into gear but it seems a whole smoother, once the oil's up to temp carry on as normal.