Pedantic Pull!!!

Liam's Z

Hi Guy's & Girls,

How we all doing? Hope today is slightly more loving than mine yesterday!!! As the title says, I was "pulled" by the police for my number plate. Everything is fine apart from the spacing...

ANPR cameras would have no problem reading it whatsoever. So then the blue lights come on and I pull over. Officer approaches my car and asks me to step out, which i don't. I suppose a bit arsey I ask why? I'll explain when you sit in the back of my vehicle, at which point he's taking a picture of the back end of my car.

Right I've pulled you for your registration not conforming. It doesn't have an EU mark, address were it was made and the spacing is incorrect. Conversation then goes name address blah de blah. Me being a smart arse "what do you think", spelt out right in front of him lol. Would you like to continue this conversation at the police station, opps nah your ok...

He then let me go saying they'll be in touch, I'll need to pay a fine or go to court was his words! No producer, no stop form, nothing. My question is has the correct procedure been followed? Will if anything come of this, and if so should I make a stand?

Any advice welcome

Rgds

Liam

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got an illegal numberplate and you're wondering why you got pulled? :dry:

I agree that the attitude of the BiB might not have been entirely on the money, but tbh you did yourself no favours by acting gobby to him. If you didn't get any paperwork then it's likely he was checking the car and you for something more dodgy than just an illegal plate, and didn't want to take it any further. Consider it a lesson learnt, get yourself a proper plate and don't act like you know best when you next get pulled.

Pretty sure they are supposed to give you a slip to say they have stopped you, but they don't always (I have lots of these! :thumbdown: )

I received a fine for my german font plates on my golf. They filled out the fine slip there and then and gave it to me. I phoned up and paid it the next day.

Not sure if they have changed things since though but with you having no documentation from being stopped if you're lucky he was just trying to scare you/cant be bothered with the paperwork.

I know I know, I should bite my tongue and try to be polite but him taking a picture got my back up staight away. 3 times I've been pulled this month. Once for being in my girlfriends car commiting no offence whatsoever and the other in the early hours of the morning for doing 60mph on the motorway. So please try to understand my attitude folks

I don't think anything will come of this.

If you really had illegal plates them they would give you a fine on the spot and one of those forms where you have to go to the mot station to prove you have changed you're plates and then take it on to the police station. Worst case scenario if they were being really 'funny' they would tell you that you couldn't drive your car with those plates on and you have to change them immediately or leave your car there (this happened to a friend of mine, they actually got put a screw driver and conviscated his plates. Then told h if he drove the car without plates they'd arrest him.)

don't worry about it! If something comes throught the post them cross that bridge when you come to it :thumbs:

Sorry, but I doubt you were pulled for doing nothing at all and for doing 60mph on the motorway (why weren't you doing 70mph?). There's got to be more to it than that, as even the police have better things to do than to stop people for no reason.

Sorry, but I doubt you were pulled for doing nothing at all and for doing 60mph on the motorway (why weren't you doing 70mph?). There's got to be more to it than that, as even the police have better things to do than to stop people for no reason.

Haha it was slightly foggy and poor driving conditions. Think it was just an excuse for their latest craze of breathalysing people

I know I know, I should bite my tongue and try to be polite but him taking a picture got my back up staight away. 3 times I've been pulled this month. Once for being in my girlfriends car commiting no offence whatsoever and the other in the early hours of the morning for doing 60mph on the motorway. So please try to understand my attitude folks

I can understand your frustration but I do agree with some others on here. There's generally a reason they've pulled you, might be nothing to do with what your doing. They've possible seen a slightly dodgy bit of your plate and have had a local 350z doing something suspicious and are thinking maybe this is the car?

As for the driving your girlfriends car and being pulled. If it had been stolen and the registered keeper was a girl and they'd seen a bloke driving it then you'd want them to be pulling you over to check wouldn't ya?

I was pulled over before I had my Z coming off a pub car park just after midnight and the police car was travelling the opposite direction. He turned round in the road followed me for about a minute then pulled me over. The reason being I was driving off a car park just after it had closed. Now the people that were in the car with me thought this was un-reasonable, however, I thought at least they are checking. If it was someone else and they were drunk and the police hadn't checked, they could have caused an accident or worse still killed someone. So for delaying me for 5 minutes (they didn't breathalise me as they could tell from my breath that I hadn't had a drink - I hadn't even been in the pub, was just picking someone up) they could have prevented an accident or a death so I wasn't bothered.

The overall of what I'm saying is, although you think there's no reason that they might be pulling you over. They have got to have a legitimate reason. It might be nothing to do with you or your car. It could be something that's happened in their policing area involving a similar car / person

I can understand all these situations and reasons for being stopped, and no doubt many crimes have been solved using these methods. To stop me for my number plate in my mind is plain jealousy. I just hope all the dogooders out ther never get stopped for something as pathetic!

Its quite common for me to be stopped late at night in any of the cars and there is alwaysa some lame reason, someone reported a clack car driving erratically etc.

I have no problem being stopped as a spot check but get annoyed by all the games.

I was once stopped at 3am in Barrow driving home from the docks in full uniform. The BIB said its a funny time to be working, I replied "well you are" Got an official letter from the chief constable for that one. :lol:

I was also told to watch my back once after a romantic interlude with a coppers ex gorlfriend. Got three points and a fine the next week for shooting a red light, I must have gone temporarily colour blind. :dry:

The numberplate issue is always going to be an easy in for them so I would just get it changed.

My tug never gets pulled. ;)

"Everything is fine apart from the spacing, Font, size, style the lot." Soooooo there isnt alot right with it then?

I think the point is you were arsey... If you had done as asked, apologised and used some type of excuse like you were at a show and you hadnt changed it they would have just let you on your way. But instead by the sounds of it you got the arse and he made sure he wasted your time.

If you think about it, police are pulling you for your illegal plate, when they could be pulling someone else for doing something more illegal that could be life threatning...

you obviously have one of those faces/driving styles that attract the law.

been stopped a couple of times, and they've been perfectly amiable, manners count for a lot ;)

Haha one of them faces - yeah that's defo me!!!

No in all fairness I've been pulled plenty of times but somehow still have a clean license... "touch wood"

I'd say most officers have been very polite and have had my utmost respect but these guys defo give the force a bad name. Some people are just POP!!!

Im on your side liam. I cant stand it when they're pedantic. I've only ever been pulled once - for turning right on a 'No right turn' junction, which everybody does. My mate was with me, and he got pulled 4 days earlier at the same place, for the same thing, by the same copper! They let him off though cos he was driving a nissan micra, but i got a fine as i was in a modified golf. The cop even remembered my mate but said 'tough'.

Another mate is a cop and got pulled doing 36 in a 30 at 10pm... he showed the other cop his id and everything but he still got points and a fine. Some cops are just dicks. Most are decent though.

Im on your side liam. I cant stand it when they're pedantic. I've only ever been pulled once - for turning right on a 'No right turn' junction, which everybody does. My mate was with me, and he got pulled 4 days earlier at the same place, for the same thing, by the same copper! They let him off though cos he was driving a nissan micra, but i got a fine as i was in a modified golf. The cop even remembered my mate but said 'tough'.

Another mate is a cop and got pulled doing 36 in a 30 at 10pm... he showed the other cop his id and everything but he still got points and a fine. Some cops are just dicks. Most are decent though.

but if you didn't break the rule it wouldn't be an issue :shrug:

and being a cop and having a badge doesn't give you a get out of jail card, they should be just as liable for fines as the rest of us.

i'm not saying i don't do things i shouldn't, but if you get pulled for it, you have to hold your hands up and take the wrap. yes some cops will give the benefit of the doubt and others won't

i got done 6 years ago in wales for doing 93 in a 70 on a dual carriage way in wales, just outside bangor. first ever offense, got 3 points and a fine. he could have let me off he didn't but then he gave me the minimum possible. if i'd been an arse aboult it i'm fairly sure it would have been 6 points and £300 fine.