Top Speed

Demolition49

wo wo wo someone has just said a focus ST will out drag a 350z.......this is not true.

Turbo shove counts for a lot, and given that the 0-60 is about the same once moving the ST will more than likely pull well clear of a Zed. Chuck a £200 remap onto the ST as well and it would leave the Zed for dust.

Doesn't really matter to me though as I know which I'd prefer to be driving, but that wasn't really the point I was trying to make.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***Caution - personal opinion to follow, if you don't like it look away now!***

0-anything is a heap of crap really. It's pub talk to impress idiots.

In gear acceleration is what tells ME how the car actually performs in the real world.

You can see by the following data that the Zed is actually surprisingly quick in 'the real world'

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... g1MZ5kBkqg

Seat of the pants dyno / squeel factor is a good measure of performance and at the end of the day is all that matters.

[/personal view]

***Caution - personal opinion to follow, if you don't like it look away now!***

0-anything is a heap of crap really. It's pub talk to impress idiots.

In gear acceleration is what tells ME how the car actually performs in the real world.

You can see by the following data that the Zed is actually surprisingly quick in 'the real world'

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... g1MZ5kBkqg

Seat of the pants dyno / squeel factor is a good measure of performance and at the end of the day is all that matters.

[/personal view]

its what i tried to say earlier,

glad someone else see's from a similar perspective,

:thumbs:

Good data there, really shows the flexibility of the engine. I'm amazed how impressive the sti is there as well, assuming that's without ppp that's only about 260 bhp right? And the increased transmission losses.

Would love to see that data for a wider range of cars, it's far more representative of real world conditions.

ok, this may seem like an odd question, or statement.. but the 350 is AWESOME accelerating in the high band 5000 - 6500 rpm you can really feel the torque, it would be interesting to see what RPM's she was pulling compared to the range from 80 -120 kmh

ok, this may seem like an odd question, or statement.. but the 350 is AWESOME accelerating in the high band 5000 - 6500 rpm you can really feel the torque, it would be interesting to see what RPM's she was pulling compared to the range from 80 -120 kmh

at around the 6000 rpm mark the zed is actually starting to tail off ;)

think fiddy's dyno proves it as well

Where did the data come from? I only ask I really can't see a 986 S (assuming it's the older version on test) being over half a second slower 80-120 (which in itself is a daft measurement in the real world, but I digress) in 3rd than the 350Z. Not saying it didn't, just that it seems very unlikely to me.

*EDIT* Ah, read the graph wrong, that's kph not mph so a very real world test :bangin: That said, that makes the time taken even less likely IMHO.

0-62mph - 5.9 secs for 2003-2005

0-62mph - 5.8 secs for Rev Up 2006-2007

0-62mph - 5.7 secs for HR 2007-to date

The above are all factory quoted 0-62 (not 0-60), however many references will quote the above figures as 0-60 which is actually incorrect - they are 0-62. And going by the above factory quoted 0-62 figures the 0-60 times would in fact be 0.1 to 0.2 secs quicker, so there you go (so for a Rev Up model it would equate to 0-60 ~5.7-5.6secs). As for 0-100 times you can try using a website such as letstorquebhp.com to give a good comparison although not sure on the accuracy of that site.

As mentioned above by other people, figures on paper are wildly irrelevant. I have seen videos where a lightly modded 350z will beat an E46 M3 (which is supposed to have ~40 more bhp) and an early 350z beat a newer HR 350z. I've seen plenty of lightly modded 350z's out drag the new Evo's. All goes to show fast cars on paper mean nothing - drivers, conditions, and every car will be different from the factory. Factory quoted bhp will also vary from car to car and is just a "guide" just like the performance times. By looking on Audi forums over the last couple of years I have found that an Audi RS4 (B7 newest shape) has a factory quoted bhp of 414bhp but most owners are going on dynos and getting disappointed with only getting figures that equate to 360ish bhp at the fly. Another example: the Shelby Mustang GT500 is supposed to have 500bhp yet most make a lot less "only" 450bhp.

All I can say is on the road the 350z certainly feels much quicker than most other cars and handles like glue on the road and looks very exclusive and is much quicker than most hot hatches such as Civic Type Rs, ST's, R32 etc. I know this because my old mk3 Golf VR6 (lightly modded) could keep up with all of those and I know my 350z feels much stronger on the road than my old golf. Only hot hatch (other than new Suburu) that would potentially beat a 350z is the new focus RS which is a good car. Off the line the 350z is not the quickest but once rolling it is incredibly quick.

((All I can say is on the road the 350z certainly feels much quicker than most other cars and handles like glue on the road and looks very exclusive and is much quicker than most hot hatches such as Civic Type Rs, ST's, R32 etc. I know this because my old mk3 Golf VR6 (lightly modded) could keep up with all of those and I know my 350z feels much stronger on the road than my old golf. Only hot hatch (other than new Suburu) that would potentially beat a 350z is the new focus RS which is a good car. Off the line the 350z is not the quickest but once rolling it is incredibly quick.))

I have found the 350 only to really pull away at higher mph's but lower down these hot hatches ie type R's, ST's ect will stick on your rear bumper all day long.

The thing is that when i drive to work i never see many other zeds at all and i love that special attention that my car gets so as for all this top speed and 0-60 stuff :yawn::yawn::yawn: