370z 7AT acceleration

Chris`I

That was pretty quick! I drove an auto 370 and the box was great, never got to test it properly though due to the Nissan employee sitting in the passenger seat :thumbdown:

Never stopped me on my testdrive. Good job there were no coppers about :blush:

Wouldn't know Chris, but there again are Nissan understating the performance as Subaru do, for example, to help with insurance banding?

Looking at all the test drives that seem to be quoting 0-60 times quicker than Nissan, I would say so.

I'm still waiting for Nissan to get back to me about a weekend test drive to decide, anyone would think they dont care! Although to be fair I have 2 missed calls on my mobile and home phone - they always call when I'm driving home! :bangin:

useless box on the track tho, i test drove one on the roads and obviously quite extensively on the track, even with all the assists off it still wouldnt let you completely take control... same corner in a manual and no issues at all :)

In what sense? Obviously I am considering one quite seriously, and others I have spoken to who have had them on the track said they were good. Obviously never as much control as a manual, but very capable all the same. Am interested to hear what about the box you didnt like on the track. I can imagine it would be a completely different beast to your Zed and will never compare to that ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, sorry just realised you had posted in this.

The Auto with the TC off, still reigns you in when on the limit, for road driving not a problem, its not a great idea to changing gears half way round a corner but when your going quick enough for one side of the car to be loaded and the corner isnt 'that' sharp you have to change gear to exit the corner at the maximum speed. The car changes gear and kills the power to the wheels until you take your foot off the accelerator, unwind the wheel (even slightly, like an inch) and then reapply, i would strong suggest the manual m8.

Same corner in the GTR, no worries, changes up, sorts out the torq to the wheels and you dont notice it

Same corner in the manual 370z, with some gentle throttle control, ie no stamping, it changes gear and carries on as if nothing happened

Same corner in my car, change gear, goes a little sideways, and then back to where you should be...

The auto box in the gtr is fantastic but the 370z auto didnt do it for me, pm me if you need anymore info m8.

i know someone selling a £18,000.00 sequential box for a 370z if you fancy that chris? :scare::teeth:

Is that mates rates? :lol:

I was just interested in the auto for making my life easier, but still able to have some fun. Most of my life is commuting and the lightweight flywheel and heavy clutch in mine gets annoying sometimes, but hella lot of fun on the twisties. Guess I need to try the auto out in anger to see if its comprimised too much for me for the few days a year I might be out on track. I reckon you could still have fun in the auto which is the main thing, just it wont quite be as quick as the manual. :shrug:

I was just interested in the auto for making my life easier, just it wont quite be as quick as the manual. :shrug:

Want to edit your first post then :p;)

I know its not the same league but I am glad the tank is an auto box for the same reason Chris mentioned - makes a tedious daily commute manageable!! :surrender: I'm sure the 370 auto box will still give you the fun factor you crave as a Datsun owner - I doubt there is such a hugh time difference in the grand scheme of things?

I was just interested in the auto for making my life easier, just it wont quite be as quick as the manual. :shrug:

Want to edit your first post then :p;)

I'll edit my last post, it wont quite be as quick when you have to change gear mid corner! Any track where you dont have to do that, it will be quicker :p

For a reduction in 'soul' then the auto does the job. Probably quicker point to point for 75% of drivers but a step into TT territory for me (ie dull). That doesn't make it bad, but it loses some of the Zed muscle feel to me.

The manual I drove was very 350 like in it's feel, with possibly a slightly shorter throw and a bit of a smoother gate.... :)

For a reduction in 'soul' then the auto does the job. Probably quicker point to point for 75% of drivers but a step into TT territory for me (ie dull). That doesn't make it bad, but it loses some of the Zed muscle feel to me.

The manual I drove was very 350 like in it's feel, with possibly a slightly shorter throw and a bit of a smoother gate.... :)

But with a girlie clutch and horrible gearknob! :p

• 1 month later...