Maybe time to leave?

jerry3167

Guys,

Ive been thinking of selling up for something a little more practical and still have good performance

and I quite fancy the New RENAULT CLIO CUP 200 or even the CLIO 197 CUP. Ive done some research and both are really good performing/ handling hatches which would suit me just fine. I visited Renault in Coulsdon south, and they seemed ready to do a deal.

Any views on the above cars?

Jerry :)

They are FRENCH :thumbdown:.

They are good cars however one thing that I hated about them is the electrics had a 172 cup the design of the fuse layout a and relays were easily exposed to some water which allowed easy corrosion and things blowing. Imoa I would not have one again unless Renault are prepared to accept design issues but with Clio cup 197 even the Pug 206 gti 180 could easily keep to them. Have you ever thought of a Ibiza Cupra?

I wouldn't buy one but they are a decent enough wee motor. I'd get a good long test drive in one before you buy because they're not really that much more practical than the z. What about a focus st or a golf gti/r32?

i had a focus st

reliable

spacious

not bad mpg

fast

comfy

yet extremely BORING!!! moddable though :shrug:

I love the zed because you can only get 2 people in it not despite of this. When the boys are going out I am never the designated driver because no one will fit and I don't have any kids :thumbs:

You starting a family Jerry or moving more gym kit than usual? :thumbs:

Not starting a family Lee, I just feel that I want something smaller, and can hold my training gear, although I manage just fine with the Zed!

Im off to Renault next week and test out the 197 CUP and 200 CUP, and decide from there, the sales staff were very impressed after seeing my Zed turn up on their forecourt.

I should add that, I may keep the Zed, but I`ll see how I feel in the new year!! ;)

I think you will be dissapointed TBH Jerry. Its quite a step down in performance, FWD is no where near as much fun as RWD and the Clio will just feel a bit cheap and cheerful TBH. Dont get me wrong they are great cars, and handle like go-karts, just I dont think they are in the same league as the Zed. But there are greater motivators than just handling and styling, so I can see why you are drawn to the Clio :)

Don't do it. Had bad experiences with French cars - they really do fall apart and cost a small fortune to fix such silly little things that drive you mad - you'll end up hating it.

You'll look at it in the show room and think "thats a good looking little car and feels right" - after a few months it'll still be good looking but it won't feel right because it'll forever be in the garage being fixed. You might get lucky, but everyone I know that's had a french car has had to go through a lot more pain than other brands - can't be coincidence.

Why not go for a Focus ST or even an RS :D Four seats, enough room for luggage, etc and still got the performance of the zed (especially the RS).

I had a 172 Clio before the Zed Jerry and i think you will find that if fitting stuff into a car to carry around the clio is a bad choice. You will probably find you have more room in the Zed and its certainly easier to get stuff in. In the clio i found the actual boot size of the hatch is quite small and the large seats dont leave a lot of room once they are moved forward. I will wait to see what you think but i think you will be dissapointed.

Isn't it the Clio that has a problem getting the bulbs changed on the front headlights? I think it's very hard to get to them. There appears to be an access panel inside the wheel well.

Not sure about the Clio, but the Megane is a pain in the a$$.

I know of enough people who hate French cars for a reason - me being one of them - just past experience with them - they are like Fiat they make great looking cars they handle well etc etc but they dont last! They always cut corners with poor electrical design and parts.

I had a Clio a few years back and it was rusting under the bonnet (2 years old) the turning circle was appalling for a city car and it looked like they made if from Walls ice cream tubs -

I knwo the Sport is a different car etc but underneath its still designed by the same muppets!

Look at alternatives if you have decided the Zed has to go.

But good luck with whatever you decide :thumbs:

I had a 182 Cup before the Z and it was a great driver's car. Crap quality interior (not that the Z is much better) and I had an electrical issue but it was superb to drive on the road and track. I was keeping up with Astons at Brands becasue they couldn't carry speed through the corners :drive1 It did 40mpg on the motorway too and was suprisingly good at cruising.

depending on what sort of budget you have RS6's are down in the 15k mark for ones with 50k ish last time i looked, around 450 bhp twin turbo v6 and you can have an estae, v practical!

have you seen the running costs though :headhurt: A porsche 911 would be cheaper...