GTR repair bills reach all-time high!

Lincolnbaggie

Jeez! £11k repair bill because of tiny crack in the front bumper - making the safety bonnet mechanism fire and causing all sorts of problems. :(

If I had a GTR i'd take it back like what most of the GTROC guys have been saying. You'll forever be on pins driving it and even the slightest accident will make you really hate yourself and the car - all because of Nissan's pricing.

I find it appauling that the most common damage to a car in a crash would be the front yet Nissan have designed such a system so it can't be easily reset - and there is hell no chance I'd pay £11k repair bill (you could buy a zed for that).

It's metal and rubber at the end of the day. All the talk about "replacing ECU's", etc indicates Nissan developed the GTR with top dollar maintenance profit in mind. Its a hinge on the bonnet (why can't Nissan design it so you can just remove a latch and push it back down, take it to a Nissan dealer and reset the ECU - job done).

Very worrying...:(

unbelievable! £11k for a bit of paint and resetting the pedestrian safety system??

Will that mean it could be possible to give the bumper a swift kick and pop the bonnet?! Could be very expensive for owners if that bit of info gets around!

Your spot on there mate. Seriously, what if some punk decided to boot the front of the car knowing full well the owner will have to pay £11k to fix it (beats keying it). :rant:

One of these was ceratinly on my shortlist when it comes to buying a "fun" car, but with stories like this it certainly starts to look less appealing.

That said, if you crack the bumper of a Fezza or Lamborghini, it aint going to be cheap. Its the fact it appears you simply cant reset these systems which seems very strange (and indeed expensive).

If it is covered by insurance, its not the end of the world - however it wont take long for insurance companies to "adjust" their premiums based on the repair costs of these vehicles. Taking the initial purchase price into consideration the car starts to come scarily close, if not higher than the likes of the 911 turbo, F430 and Gallardo.

I think its the movement of the cost onto running rather than initial outlay that is a worrying concept. That would dictate a point in time where the GTR becomes more expensive than other cars in its class, depending on how long you aim to keep the car would dictate whether it was worth it I suppose.

A £55k car with an £11k fix, in one year is still cheaper than a £90k car with a £1k fix...

arent the gearboxes like £15k

and because its fitted with a black box they know everything you do in it. so if you use the launch control it invalidates your warranty and you have to pay. so buying one second hand becomes alot more interesting because you don't know if someone used launch control and then 6 months into ownership your gear box goes bang and your left with a bill of £15k

parts for this are very expensive and second hand ownership i think is really going to flash up the major issues with cost on this.

15k for a gear box!! :scare:

I remember Clarkson saying that the were all individually made so you never got 2 exactly the same but jesus christ that's 25% of the whole value of the car!!

At this rate u could make a profit from buying one, breaking it up and selling the parts!

I think there has been a lot of scare stories put around about the GTR and there has certainly been a fair bit of speculation as to various costs involved for various parts. The launch control debacle was certainly well publicised and an awful lot of figures were put around.

I think until there are some real world uk examples of exactly how high these costs are then we cant speculate, but it does seem on the base of this simple bump that repair costs are very high in certain cases. That would not lead me to think the servicing costs and charges for worn gearboxes etc would be any less pricey.

i would hope that once the car has been around for a while that other companies will make parts at much cheaper costs. and hopefully bring down the cost of repairs. like on the 350z nissan charge lots for brake discs and pads, yet you can pick up better performance pads and discs for about half the price, or depend on which ones aqbout the same but better performance than original

I remember Clarkson saying that the were all individually made so you never got 2 exactly the same but jesus christ that's 25% of the whole value of the car!!

At this rate u could make a profit from buying one, breaking it up and selling the parts!

The only problem with that is because each gearbox is individually made it will only work with the engine and transmission it was originally mated to.

The only problem with that is because each gearbox is individually made it will only work with the engine and transmission it was originally mated to.

Not strictly true. The reason they are "mated" is because the ECU for the engine only speaks to the ECU for the gearbox that is supposed to be there. There were some rumours that the gearbox was tuned to a specific engine, but I think that was proven to be BS. When Big Phil got his they were looking at options and he knew people that were working on cracking the ECUs of both engine and gearbox, so by now I would expect someone like COBB know exactly how to mate a new gearbox to a different engine if it went pop :thumbs:

i believe it was only the engines that were each individual and no 2 were the same, didn't know it applied to the gearboxes as well.

clarkson talked about the fact that the BHP was different on each car due to the engines being hand built and each being different.