I've had enough...*CAUTION HIGHLY PERSONAL RANT*

BulletMagnet

i do agree with you mate but if the prices of the originals wasnt so expensive then nobody would need to copy them, like carbon coops said, carbon isnt actually that expensive to produce which just makes you wonder why they have to sell them so expensively

replica's dont have to mean cheap and crap quality, because in some cases its just not correct, for example the company i use makes the parts for brand names in america so in a way it is actually the same stuff

ive tried to be original by making the batt/brake surrounds and carbon plenum and spacer, a and i do have a few other ideas up my sleeve which will be my own ideas, mainly because i wanted to offer different and original products, but some other parts im getting made was mainly because i wanted them and i wanted to be able to have the whole engine bay parts to match using the same carbon weeve,

Scott

I like you, because you went for something different and new, the only reason that you would repeat some items is purely for weave matching to your other offerings, which is cool.

I have personally seen the surrounds you made and they are great.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just how the market works, original items are created and then smaller companies replicate them at a cheaper price to be competitive.

I understand the whole point about replicas screwing over the originals, but in most cases thats why they start at such a high price and come down in price within a year, the money the product generates in the first few months to a year is what covers the R&D of that product. Generally after that the money that comes in is a contribution to the companies profit and its up to them if they position themselves at the top end of the market or reduce the price to be competitive.

A company will never stop doing the R&D, why would they? it still makes them a profit as people like BM, myself and a lot of other people will always go for the original over a replica, for me its just down to the fact i believe the quality will be better, this isnt aimed at Coops or any other trader as the products they are offering are not the type of products that require a great deal of work to make them high quality, im talking about engine mods, complete body kits, exhausts etc. Not saying making carbon fibre moulds is easy but compared to creating new cams or engine manifolds... you see my point.

Each to there own i think bud, like a few have said not everyone can afford and personally original parts and premium branded parts are way to expensive.

if people only bought original items it'd be a pretty frickin dull world.

Do actually any of us know what we are buying anyway????? i mean LG Phillips produce over half the worlds plasmas dont they? so which big brands buy them to pass as their own.

Like wise something as simple as sainsburys own brand cornflakes, who are they made by??????????

How much of Diesel jeans actually is made in Italy?????????

I think this has been quite an interesting thread - its obviously got people on both sides and some people in the middle so its made for an interesting discussion.

One thing here that has really hit home for me is the fact that the original parts start at such high prices - but to be honest if they can cover their R&D costs with these high prices in the first few months or years then its a good thing people start replicating them and force the prices down. If reps werent made I bet manufacturers would keep their prices sky high indefinitely. On the flip side if the manufacturers reduced their prices as soon as theyve covered their R&D costs and reduced them to a level that was in line with the effort involved and cost to manufacture then perhaps buyers wouldnt need/want to source replicas and feed that market?

Being a branded name doesn't guarantee better quality .... Tesco's own brand Jammie Rings are much better Burton's Jammie Dodgers and they're half the price ( IMO ) :p:blush:

If you can afford branded items then go for it. If you can't and are happy with the quality of the replica item then fill your boots.

Personally I buy an awful lot of branded items but if I see something I like and it is fit for purpose then I'll buy it ... simples ! :)

sorry bm... im going to have to disagree with you. yes in a perfect world everybody would be rocking the real deal but not everyone can afford them!!! yeh some of my stuff is genuine some of it is a copy. who cares!!! at the end of the day, u can afford what u can afford. people may not want to spend £££ on a item but still want their cars to look good then they buy the replicas?? at the end of the day whatever the owner has they should be happy with it and not flamed for it. if you really believe your ethos then get rid of your k1??? go buy the topspeed n1 as essentialy its a copy of that and another exhaust?!?!

also whilst were on the topic, why did u buy a datsun? if your gonna be all high and mighty why didnt u buy a proper sports tourer ie a 599gtb? or a db9?

i think its a case of get over yourself??

-ho

ps: i dont mean this to sound harsh as i can see both sides of the arguement but u gota realise everyone different

I think this has been quite an interesting thread - its obviously got people on both sides and some people in the middle so its made for an interesting discussion.

One thing here that has really hit home for me is the fact that the original parts start at such high prices - but to be honest if they can cover their R&D costs with these high prices in the first few months or years then its a good thing people start replicating them and force the prices down. If reps werent made I bet manufacturers would keep their prices sky high indefinitely. On the flip side if the manufacturers reduced their prices as soon as theyve covered their R&D costs and reduced them to a level that was in line with the effort involved and cost to manufacture then perhaps buyers wouldnt need/want to source replicas and feed that market?

sometimes people want the expensive branded items because they're expensive though and it's a status symbol, so the orig company may not necessarily want to drop it's prices as it would lose it's brand/status

if you really believe your ethos then get rid of your k1??? go buy the topspeed n1 as essentialy its a copy of that and another exhaust?!?!

also whilst were on the topic, why did u buy a datsun? if your gonna be all high and mighty why didnt u buy a proper sports tourer ie a 599gtb? or a db9?

i think its a case of get over yourself??

-ho

ps: i dont mean this to sound harsh as i can see both sides of the arguement but u gota realise everyone different

I was wondering when someone would cotton on to the K1, lol

The discussion is not whether the Zed is a proper Sports Tourer of not.

I cannot get over myself, because physically it's impossible to get over oneself.

And regarding your P.S., Title says "Highly Personal Rant", so take it or leave it, lol

In terms of bringing the cost down it again comes down to the marketing and what the companies market image is, for example if Bentley reduced their prices to Lexus prices they would be competing in a totally different market. These companies keep the cost high as thats the image they want to maintain. The compnies like top secret, veilside etc wont bring their prices down to Japspeed prices once a product has broken even as that would de value their brand.

In an over saturated market this problem would never exist as products are created, to make a loss in some instances, just so their name is out there. Unfortuantely the modding scene is in an unsaturated market therefore the big names can continue to charge big prices, it wont be until the replica brands practically treble in numbers will we see original manufacturers reduce prices.

Surely if it was highly personal you would keep it to yourself and not post it on an open forum for comment ?!

It's all about opinions and free choice :)

Indeed it is, what I mean by highly personal, is not in terms of privately personal, just to warn people that this is my personal opinion :thumbs:

Being a branded name doesn't guarantee better quality .... Tesco's own brand Jammie Rings are much better Burton's Jammie Dodgers and they're half the price ( IMO ) :p:blush:

If you can afford branded items then go for it. If you can't and are happy with the quality of the replica item then fill your boots.

Personally I buy an awful lot of branded items but if I see something I like and it is fit for purpose then I'll buy it ... simples ! :)

totally agree with above comment.

sometimes people want the expensive branded items because they're expensive though and it's a status symbol, so the orig company may not necessarily want to drop it's prices as it would lose it's brand/status

Another good point - bit like paying a grand for a posh handbag?

Does everyone support the recording artist and buy the original CD and doesn't download music for 'free' as well???

BEER + VODKA + DRUGS + 350z-uk.com don't mix Bullet :lol:

I think if you can afford it go for quality but for those guys who can't and really want say a cheap spoiler then they don't have much of an option really.

I undertand exactly what your saying Bullet.

Nobody has to buy replica parts. If they are posted on this forum then you can choose not to look at them at all.

We (the team) regularly change titles and descriptions to say 'style' etc when non original parts are being offered. If you see 'style' in a topic then feel free to pass it over as it is likely to offend you.

It's a personal thing. A lot of people won't consider buying replica parts and others love the idea of getting the look they desire for a lower cost. Each to their own.

BEER + VODKA + DRUGS + 350z-uk.com don't mix Bullet :lol:

I think if you can afford it go for quality but for those guys who can't and really want say a cheap spoiler then they don't have much of an option really.

I undertand exactly what your saying Bullet.

I don't drink or take drugs.....totally naturally induced posting....

i can see him now stamping about in his carbon fibre shoes.............. :lol:

Sorry Mark - ;)

Coooorrrrrr....right!!!!!!

I'm gonna start a slap list just for you know.......either that or you remove me off yours cos we are even....

I prefer to go by reputation than price. Any reasonable kit can be made to fit and look good but the bodyshop will charge to get the correct result.

If you pay more for an original kit and use a bad bodyshop you lose. Buy a reasonable copy and use a good shop and you win.

Its a matter of personal choice. :)

I'm actually liking the fact that alot of people are having an input on this.

It might give traders on here an idea of how people think about certain things and give them a better idea what to supply parts wise.

Ill get my coat then shall i ??????

:lol:

Alot of what i have offered is stuff people have asked for!!!!

I have alot more to offer but funds and illness and divorce are slowing me down a little!

I have alot of new products to offer but have started small to try get my products out there to show off great fitment and quality and keep prices down, this is not my only job, just a dream i have it may go nowhere who knows??

I have things like the entire dash in carbon, or carbon with leather etc boot trims in carbon, carbon tailgate, carbon bulkhead behind the seats, carbon sub boxs etc all in development but it will take time, replicas are just stuff i have been asked for, my ings +1 bumper is a replica and fits great tho, i know there are some poor quality stuff out there a big part of that is taking copies of copies of copies and the shapes etc are lost, i will only be moulding from originals to remove this problem :D

cheers coops

I prefer to go by reputation than price. Any reasonable kit can be made to fit and look good but the bodyshop will charge to get the correct result.

If you pay more for an original kit and use a bad bodyshop you lose. Buy a reasonable copy and use a good shop and you win.

Its a matter of personal choice. :)

That's exactly what I said last night Mart. You quoting R35LEE? haha :thumbs: