Why does my UK Zed bog down around 120mph

colsy

Hi all,

I get to around 120mph, on private roads off course, and the car seems to start to struggle, the needle climbs very slowly after this. I read that some imports are limited to 112mph, which shows as 120mph on the clocks. I'm convinced mine is a UK model, thats what I bought it as, the service book has uk dealer stamps dating back to 05, the car was registered in 04. First question is - is this normal for a uk Zed? If not, how can I check if my car is UK or not? If it's an import, how can I de-restrict the top end?

Thanks in advance,

Col.

2 questions as the UK style plates and the washers can be fitted afterwards (they could have been trying to make it look like a UK one..) (I have a square rear plate and no washers but mine is a uk car!! ;) )

Is it an auto? Only auto on imports.

Where the a/c controls are, the 3 control dials, does it have thick turny bezel things or thin ones? (Pic of yours would help if you dont get my drift!)

If its not an import then yeh it does seem that you may have an issue... It may have been chipped so the power is down low.. think final drive swaps will do the same thing too..

You may want to check the engine bay for pressure leaks!

Choked air filter?

Mmmmm I will check.. I have only had the car a week or so, has no problem accelerating to 120, as fast as I expected, will def chek.

I don't think it will have been chiped/final drive swaps, it was owned from new for 6 months by a guy, then for the next 4 year driven by a woman...I can be sure of this as her husband had a GT-R and prior to that an NSX..this was her run around :wacko: I'm not ruling it out altogether, just didn't seem the kind of folk to do that...the car is very much OEM. heres a picture of the dials..I know what you mean by the bezzels..but they dont look fat or thin to me???

IMG_0476.jpg

Cheers for your help so far all!!!

oh, what I ment to add is, can it be confirmed by chasis number if it is an import or not...I did a search on 'chasis number' nothing. just a litle more to add, its a 2004, GT model, Rays wheels, BOSE system, orange leather, all clocks are mph?? I don't have the log book back yet...would it say anything in there? the insurance (admiral) pick it up as a 350z, not a fairlady z...as they did with a import I used for quotation purposes.

ATB,

Col.

Yep, all points to a uk car! they are the fat ones! but guess you havnt seen the thin ones!

All the bits are swapable to make it to a uk looking car, but it takes time and effort and money! So work on the principle of it being a uk car!

Where you based? Someone close may be able to give you an opinion and if they know the zed engine they could check some of the bits above....

Does it feel good and strong off the line? Lots of power?

Yep, all points to a uk car! they are the fat ones! but guess you havnt seen the thin ones!

All the bits are swapable to make it to a uk looking car, but it takes time and effort and money! So work on the principle of it being a uk car!

Where you based? Someone close may be able to give you an opinion and if they know the zed engine they could check some of the bits above....

Does it feel good and strong off the line? Lots of power?

fuze boxes would give it away, they would be in japanese.

and the light and washer stalks are the other way around - lights on the right - wipers on the left on a JDM

I dont even know which side mine are on. I just pull the stalks untill I find what I'm looking for :blush:

and the light and washer stalks are the other way around - lights on the right - wipers on the left on a JDM

I dont even know which side mine are on. I just pull the stalks untill I find what I'm looking for :blush:

Is that a practice you follow through life mate? :blush:

That's pretty much what I did for the first 6 months of driving mine! Now whenever I get in another car I look like an idiot spraying water on the screen whilst turning right!

That's pretty much what I did for the first 6 months of driving mine! Now whenever I get in another car I look like an idiot spraying water on the screen whilst turning right!

:lol::lol: do the same when i get into a non jdm yoke ;)

Hi all,

Thanks for peoples input. A few answers to points raised:

Is the airfilter clogged? - Nice clean new one only 1k miles ago, took a look, looks fine.

Pressure leak around engine? - What could be leaking (induction, exhaust) Where would the pressure leak be?

Is the car strong off the mark? - I had a tussle against my old VR6 Corrado last night (sold it a friend), the Corrado ran 15 second quater miles..the Zed was a little faster, So I'd guess the Zed's bottom end performance is as it should be, book time for quater mile in the Zed is 14.7??

Is the fuse box in Japanese? - No all text is English.

What side are the lights/wipers? - Lights/wipers go against the JDM configuration as stated above, so UK configuration.

:bang::bang::headhurt::headhurt::wacko:

Any more ideas?? can you de-restrict UK models for over 155mph?

Col.

Hi all,

Thanks for peoples input. A few answers to points raised:

Is the airfilter clogged? - Nice clean new one only 1k miles ago, took a look, looks fine.

Pressure leak around engine? - What could be leaking (induction, exhaust) Where would the pressure leak be?

Is the car strong off the mark? - I had a tussle against my old VR6 Corrado last night (sold it a friend), the Corrado ran 15 second quater miles..the Zed was a little faster, So I'd guess the Zed's bottom end performance is as it should be, book time for quater mile in the Zed is 14.7??

Is the fuse box in Japanese? - No all text is English.

What side are the lights/wipers? - Lights/wipers go against the JDM configuration as stated above, so UK configuration.

:bang::bang::headhurt::headhurt::wacko:

Any more ideas?? can you de-restrict UK models for over 155mph?

Col.

I wonder for some reason its had a JDM ECU fitted at the factory by mistake

Ever thought that maybe, just maybe, someone bought a JDM, then went thru the trouble of doing a UK spec conversion to get a higher sale price?

I know it sounds retarted and ridicoulous, but there are all sorts out there...

Surely a check on the v5 will confirm? Date manufactured and date registered in uk? Can't remember if it says on mine it was imported........

Or what about a check on the HPI whatsit or something like that? It must be on a computer somewhere if its a uk car.