Life After Z ? ? ? (Whats Next) !!!

M350ZB

Impressed with the MPG, thought it was worse than the Zed. I have allways been a fan of the e46 m3, and the conv. is B) imo. Heard different views on the SMG though, expensive to fix if goes wrong. Dont you miss a clutch though and a gear stick though?, think i would. What about servicing costs betweent the both ?, Is BMW that bad as reported ?

I'm actually surprised at how much I miss a manual gearbox.

+1

I still use the stick to shift up and down rather than the paddles as when you turn the wheel the paddles spin with the wheel which is very annoying. We only got the SMG cos the Mrs wanted an auto and it was the best compromise we could find.

The SMG is a very slick bit of kit though.

With regard to the servicing, it'll be going to an independant. it may be more expensive but that is evened out by the fact that the service schedule is not like the zed's e.g 12 months/9k it is based on the onboard computer and is determined by how you drive the car. Lots of short journeys and the miles to the next service comes down quicker. use it les frequently and for longer journeys like we do and the service will not be for ages. Its not uncommon to see M3's unserviced for 18 months + because of this. My car is showing the service is required in 11,000 miles but we have only done 3,000 in it since January so it'll be ages before we need to service it at that rate..................

Only the second time I tried the paddles I picked up a ticket for 59 in a 30 - whoops! :bangin:

Never drove an M3 Liam, fancy letting me take yours for a spin, and digsy i can me following the exact same suit :lol:, as said IMO, what ever car i would have to have a manual, just takes the fun away from the car, but can see Liams case, still a cracking car Liam, and no doubt yours is fully spec'd right up, sat nav,t.v and all :lol: !

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the TVR is loverly but it will burn money quicker than you can make it. my dads colleague had one and it spent more time in the garage having work done or repairs or fixes than it did on the road.

TVR's, lovely cars but just a money pit, a friend at work had had one a while and recently he has forked out over £9K for an engine re-build, only to find the head gasket went once he got it back, not pratical with some of the special paint works and imo a pure money pit. But then again if i came across some money, why the heck not, awesome car ad very very B) , and the sounds :scare:B)

Just hope Mark sells it quick or this thread could hit double figures by next week. :headhurt:

Is an open forum and i am genuinly intrested into see what people have bought after the Zed, even if it is a down grade due to certain situations or what not. This has been a great forum and i have meet so many cracking people, most of which i can stay in touch with. So carry on guys ................................................... :p:p:p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just hope Mark sells it quick or this thread could hit double figures by next week. :headhurt:

Knowing what his threads are like that could be by sunday :lol: 99% of the posts will be him answering himself though ;)

More than likely, but thank you for the people that are replying :p:p:p

I'm not even considering moving on from the zed - only had it a few months and its been one of my dream cars for years. :)

The next car would without a doubt be the Skyline R34 GTR - my all time ultimate car, although I definently don't feel I have second best with my gorgeous zed. Park them side by side and the R34 wouldn't show up my car in the looks department (performance on the other hand...). :cloud9:

The thing about modern cars is that too many people get them, use them, get bored and move on - just like a piece of clothing - I'm not one of those people. My zed was made in 2002 and for me it still beats 95% of cars made today (the "lovely" Prius, the wonderful Focus RS - shame every man and dog will end up with one, damn porsche's - can't tell one from the other unless you get into deep pocket money GT3 territory, etc).

I don't go through cars like fashion accessories - before I buy I tell myself this one question "will I still be happy with it in 3+ years time?" - if the answer is yes then its the car for me. B)

If I was downgrading, I'd only consider a civic type-r (or possibly a Clio V6), upgrading I'd only consider a GTR!

Civic type r?! I had a bit of fun with one of them the other day, all i can say is what a let down :thumbdown:

Clio v6 i can agree with, but only if you have no plans of taking anything more than a coke can for luggage :lol:

What abot the megane r26.r if you read evo mag you will see how highly rated it is, and very tunable!!

If I was downgrading, I'd only consider a civic type-r (or possibly a Clio V6), upgrading I'd only consider a GTR!

Civic type r?! I had a bit of fun with one of them the other day, all i can say is what a let down :thumbdown:

Clio v6 i can agree with, but only if you have no plans of taking anything more than a coke can for luggage :lol:

What abot the megane r26.r if you read evo mag you will see how highly rated it is, and very tunable!!

I think someone may be a little megane biased here ;) stick with "steer with ya rear"

I can't believe that to upgrade only a GTR would tempt you???????????????? :surrender:

Plenty more out there which are much more drivable than the electronic/remote control GTR :p

I can't believe that to upgrade only a GTR would tempt you???????????????? :surrender:

Plenty more out there which are much more drivable than the electronic/remote control GTR :p

Exactly my point ;)

I think someone may be a little megane biased here ;) stick with "steer with ya rear"

:lol: :lol:

So what made you go for the E46 M3 then Laim ?, you took much of a hit in the current climate with it ?

:lol: :lol:

:p Any more piston heads runs coming up Darren guess i would have to wait for you at the end after the twistys :yawn:

Anybody read Evo mag?? Well well well look whats 5th best drivers car :drive1

And more reliable too. I've just heard of a third gearbox failure that Nissan won't cover under warranty :dry:

I don''t really want to get rid of the Z, so I bloody won't. I've had her for nearly a year now, and I'm still deeply in love. It just ticks every box I need it to!

It sounds mental, it shifts when you want it to, it looks gorgeous and above all, makes me smile!

It's technically twice as practical as I need, I'm "in between girlfriends" (i.e. single) at the moment, the passenger seat/footwell easily fits my lunchbox and coat in it.

I'm really not sure what's next, we'll see what I need from a car come 'new wheels time'. That's assuming I do for some reason get rid of the Z.

If I was going for performance, I have a shortlist.

TVR T350 Coupe

Nissan Skyline R34 GTR (can't stand R32 and R33 interiors)

996 GT3

For a family orientated ride.

Nissan Skyline R34 GTR (it's a 2+2 so it's practical in my book)

535d

I quite like CLS' too.

But then again, I'm 23 so we'll see!

It'll be a hard choice to make when the time comes to part with the z. The few cars at the minute i'd like are way out of my price range but to be honest i'm still more than happy with the z. I think when the time comes to change it'll have to be for more seats so would maybe consider a vxr8 with a turbo/supercharger kit.

i'm hoping that toyota build there HT-FC (i think thats what its called) its still a concept at the moment, but there was serious talk of building it. its been dubbed by some as the new supra. i like it as it offers similair power as the zed with a V6, but has new hybrid technology. elelctric motors mean direct power, so fast to pull away, but with some of the tax advantages of going hybrid, i'm happy to wait and see what happens, it may turn out to be a dog. and i have no plans to change for about 4 years anyway. there may well be something else that comes out that floats my boat.

lexus have a new coupe due soon, but it looks very expensive.

I went to a 5 series estate as needed to tow. Good drive really but very different to the zed.

If your needs change / getting a family about, http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1177768.htm would be a good buy. (not mine as I have a 3ltr) if you are not worried about mpg as it would be not that far off a Zed. M5 drinks lots more.

Otherwise keep the zed and get a cheap converted S1 elise with Duratec, Honda or Audi and you get 200/230/300 BHP in an 800 kg car and would only cost approx £12-17k.

i'm hoping that toyota build there HT-FC (i think thats what its called) its still a concept at the moment, but there was serious talk of building it. its been dubbed by some as the new supra. i like it as it offers similar power as the zed with a V6, but has new hybrid technology. elelctric motors mean direct power, so fast to pull away, but with some of the tax advantages of going hybrid, i'm happy to wait and see what happens, it may turn out to be a dog. and i have no plans to change for about 4 years anyway. there may well be something else that comes out that floats my boat.

lexus have a new coupe due soon, but it looks very expensive.

The Lexus L-FA mule has been putting in some interesting results (betting R35 around some circuits). Been watching closely for the last 2-3years since the concept was announced.