Time to fill up

Maccaman

our tesco 99 ron is already at 109.9, can't believe their putting it up again. i'm sure we'd managed to get it down to 89.9 for super unleaded a while back and within 6 months its gone up by 20 p. bunch of money grabbing feckers. i wouldn't mind if our roads were in good condition, but now they are sticking down loads of this cheap crap loose chipping stuff. when they tqlk about the bank of england i think they are refering to us, the general public, as gordan seems to be using us as his personal cash machine. :rant:

A two pence rise in fuel duty will come into effect from midnight, the third increase in nine months.

Stephen Glaister, director of road users pressure group RAC Foundation, told the BBC the government's latest rise "will hit everybody hard".

When VAT is included, the increase will actually total 2.3p. The average price of petrol across the UK is about 105p per litre.

The government says the extra duty is needed to help fund public investment.

'Huge affect'

AA president Edmund King said the timing of the rise was "pretty dire", at a time when the UK economy was trying to exit recession.

If the money was going into public transport, drivers would be better off as there would be less cars on the road, less congestion for them

Richard George, Campaign for Better Transport

Mr King said its members were already having to cut back on car journeys due to the high price of fuel, and that this would only increase following the latest rise, meaning the government's revenues will not actually rise.

The Petrol Retailers Association pointed out that the price of fuel would increase again when VAT increases from 15% to 17.5% at the end of the year.

"It would have been preferable for the government to defer this increase until 2010," its spokesman said.

Jo Tanner, director of communications at the Freight Transport Association (FTA), said existing high fuel prices were already having a "huge affect" on its members.

She said the freight transport sector had already seen its fuel bills rise by £800m since last December, at the same time as a 50% increase in insolvencies.

Richard George, a road and climate campaigner at the Campaign for Better Transport, said the government should be spending the duty increase on public transport, and not just putting it into the government's general budget.

"If the money was going into public transport, drivers would be better off as there would be less cars on the road, less congestion for them," he said.

Supermarket group Morrisons said it would not be increasing the cost of fuel at its forecourts until 6 September.

Richard George, a road and climate campaigner at the Campaign for Better Transport, said the government should be spending the duty increase on public transport, and not just putting it into the government's general budget.

"If the money was going into public transport, drivers would be better off as there would be less cars on the road, less congestion for them," he said.

I can almost stomach another rise in the governments share of the petrol price if it was ploughed into public transport *OR PREFERABLY* put into the road structure to make it safer and better able to handle traffic and it would be great and I'd happily pay a bigger increase if it went into fixing roads PROPERLY. However with the huge revenue generated by fuel tax already there is no excuse.

Oh yeah, they spent it all on cleaning their f**king moats!

I dont get fuel prices at the moment...

In my town the prices are 105.9 or 112.9 for standard or vPower... and then 4 miles down the road at the next shell garage its 102.9 and 109.9. I dont get it.

most garages as franchise owned, thus the owner car pretty much charge what they want if they can get away with it.

Gilly