370z-uk domain name

Jay

how comes we are using .net and not .com for the 370 stuff.... Just being nosey :blush:

Already taken by the looks of it, it loads straight to 350z-tech. :dry:

There was a previous administrator on this board. There was a conversation/thread in June 2007 where the team discussed the future proofing of this community, said previous administrator purchased the ".com" domain during these discussions. It was initially pointed to this site, but then subsequently there was a difference of opinion between that administrator and the rest of the team on what direction this community should take.

That administrator then left this community, and the domain name was pointed to 350z-tech.

We have attempted to make contact with this person regarding the purchase of the domain name, however there has been no mention of a figure, the response so far is that he is not sure he would want to sell the domain unless the money is really interesting.

It is slightly annoying in that the domain was purchased during the time of a discussion on future proofing this community, but has now subsequently been forwarded elsewhere for no apparent logical reason.

People can draw their own conclusions into the character of an individual who would purchase a domain during discusions held in good faith in this community, and then subsequently forward them elswhere after a difference of opinion; then only consider selling them back to that same community if the money were "really interesting".

how comes we are using .net and not .com for the 370 stuff.... Just being nosey :blush:

There was a previous administrator on this board. There was a conversation/thread in June 2007 where the team discussed the future proofing of this community, said previous administrator purchased the ".com" domain during these discussions. It was initially pointed to this site, but then subsequently there was a difference of opinion between that administrator and the rest of the team on what direction this community should take.

That administrator then left this community, and the domain name was pointed to 350z-tech.

We have attempted to make contact with this person regarding the purchase of the domain name, however there has been no mention of a figure, the response so far is that he is not sure he would want to sell the domain unless the money is really interesting.

It is slightly annoying in that the domain was purchased during the time of a discussion on future proofing this community, but has now subsequently been forwarded elsewhere for no apparent logical reason.

People can draw their own conclusions into the character of an individual who would purchase a domain during discusions held in good faith in this community, and then subsequently forward them elswhere after a difference of opinion; then only consider selling them back to that same community if the money were "really interesting".

Wheres that w@nker smiley?

burglarL050706_175x125.jpg

:headhurt:

Is there nothing to do with intellectual property when becoming an admin of the site? If you have the rights is there nothing in place to stop the abuse of such rights, or is it just assumed you'll be well behaved when you become god?

There is no agreement or "contract" signed when you become a moderator or administrator of this community. We have always acted as a democratic group in a way we feel best serves this community.

The team over the years have contributed hundreds of pounds and thousands of hours of their time, all in the knowledge that we were contributing to a community that we enjoy and give willingly to. All except one.

As I said previously, the 370z-uk.com domain was purchased during discussions on future proofing this community. I, like the rest of the team, assumed this purchase was made for the good of the club.

It would appear this was not the case. Though as this person also retained the entire balance of the club funds upon his departure (approx £70 at the time), citing contributions toward the server and the banner amongst other items (though they did kindly dismiss any fuel costs involved in running round performing any club business), the retention of the domain name and the willingness to part with it should the money be "interesting" comes as no great surprise.

I suppose some people you meet in life have morals, and some people don't.

I wasn't part of the team when this went on but remember the announcements and was shocked at the behavior of said Admin.

I personally (not the Teams opinion) think that his behavior was (and still is) despicable. If a purchase is made for the club it should remain part of the club irrespective of whether you decide to leave the club or not. If money was the issue then the funds retained would probably have covered it. I don't believe that money was the issue though.....

Anyway, I'll let all the members voice their own opinions on the situation.

The funds that were retained did not account for the domain name purchase. But we are more than happy to coverthe domain transfer cost and its initial purchase price in order to transfer it back to the club, though the statement of only wishing to sell if the money is "interesting" speaks volumes about how likely that is.

For the record, when that £70 of club funds was retained, the rest of the team replaced the money out of their own pocket as it was the fair thing to do for the members here. At the time we did not have any traders on site, and the funds were raised purely by the sale of the club stickers, moneythat was given by members for the good of the club, so we felt it only fair that this was replaced.

Is it possible that the account associated with the club, have dual signing or more authority, so it's not possible for someone to whip off with funds. A suggestion anyway.

Oh, and back on topic, the 370 header looks cool. B)

The going rate for a .com domain name seems to be around £10 per year and the initial period is 2 years.

As we know the owner of the domain name has been reading this subject, I am prepared to make an offer.

I will (out of my own pocket, not the club funds) happily give a 500% markup on the initial expenditure of £20, and offer £100 for the domain to be transferred back to our ownership.

And I shall state here, that should this be accepted, I am making the purchase for the club and giving it willingly to the club.

Ok i was obviosuly was not around when this all went down so...................... wat your all saying is there was a guy called val who was an old member of admin, then he turned into a complete **** and greedy bastard lol. Am i about right on this evaluation? Please feel free to add to this.......................

If he agrees to the terms and you manage to purchase it out of your own pocket I'd be more than happy to donate some moolah too through the DONATE button to help out :teeth: i hope others will feel the same way. it doesnt take long all donating a fiver to reach 100 :bounce: cmon you rich kids! :thumbs: (i am not a rich kid btw for the record :lol: )

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=accounts%40350z%2duk%2ecom&item_name=350Z%2duk%2ecom%20Donation&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=GBP&lc=GB&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

The going rate for a .com domain name seems to be around £10 per year and the initial period is 2 years.

As we know the owner of the domain name has been reading this subject, I am prepared to make an offer.

I will (out of my own pocket, not the club funds) happily give a 500% markup on the initial expenditure of £20, and offer £100 for the domain to be transferred back to our ownership.

And I shall state here, that should this be accepted, I am making the purchase for the club and giving it willingly to the club.

Small donation made to part cover this cost, anyone else want to help out.

i'll stick a fiver in to help reach the £100 total.

shame some peoples mortal compass is stuck on dipsh1t. have come across and dealt with many muppets like this. each to there own. suppose he's done us a favour by leaving, maybe he'll finish the favour by leaving us the domain.

Small donation made to part cover this cost, anyone else want to help out.

done :thumbs: and thanks Chris for what you are doing - very much appreciated.

Just to confirm this domain has not been purchased, there is no need to donate for this domain name. Also it is not fair to ask members to cough up for a domain that should have been the clubs in the first place.

We have not yet purchased this domain, indeed it has only a few minutes since I made the post offering the money, and to my knowledge this has not been relayed to the domain owner or a response received. Anyone who has donated for this domain please drop me a pm and I can send it you back.

Back on topic...

It may be our error in not having any form of written agreement in place to state that anything bought arrising from discussions that took place on the board should remain the property of the team running the community should anyone leave.

I suppose we took the naive approach of just assuming everyone who was a part of the team from the early stages had morals.

The abridged version of events as far as I can recall is:

The site became busier, and the administrator who left thought that there should be some form of structure within the team, as he felt he was the only one doing anything to aid the club.

A rather strongly worded post was made to the team, which gave rise to us calling a conference phonecall to discuss the issues.

The former administrator was of the opinion that roles for people should be defined, not perhaps strict roles, but roles nevertheless, with certain people being solely responsible for meets, others solely responsible for funds, etc etc.. The democratic view from the team was that this is something we could not work to.

The former administrator also stated that he could only stay on as a member of the community if we banned two individuals. The team saw no reason that these two individuals should be banned, and again democratically decided that we would not ban the two individuals.

The former admin then stated that if these conditions could not be met he wished to leave. There was an agreement made to leave some of the technical posts made by the individual, and that we would remove any and all posts made by that individual that gave any personal details. This included renaming the account to removed, in oredr to adhere to the persons wishes.

You can reference the statement made by the team on the departure of this person here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10039

You can also see discussions on the future proofing of the site here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8540

It was this thread above that gave rise to the discussions on future proofing amongst the team. We may choose to publish the whole thread from the team area to demonstrate exactly under what conditions these domains were purchased, but this is a decision for the team.

From the thread above you can see at what ppoint the domains were purchased, and you can also see a request for donations for the money just spent acquiring these.

People are free to make their own judgements from the above.

Similarly the former administrator does not have his IP address or email addresses banned on this site, and there is nothing to stop that person registering and posting in this thread should they feel that an incorrect version of vents has been given above.

As previously, my offer of £100 for the domain stands.

Just to confirm this domaion has not been purchased, there is no need to donate for this domain name. Also it is not fair to ask members to cough up for a domain that should have been the clubs in the first place.

We have not yet purchased this domain, indeed it has only a few minutes since I made the post offering the money, and to my knowledge this has not been relayed to the domain owner or a response received. Anyone who has donated for this domain please drop me a pm and I can send it you back.

You haven't asked anyone to donate, in my opinion it is equally not fair to ask you to cough up the full amount for something that is a benefit for all members. However if you still feel strongly just add my donation to club funds.

I didnt want my post to come across as suggesting for donations for the name or for anyone to feel obliged to donate. I am happy to cover the cost of this domain should the owner wish to sell for that figure, but thank you for your generosity to the club, it is greatly appreciated. :):thumbs:

Once we know of any more developments on the domain name front we will advise :)

Just to confirm this domaion has not been purchased, there is no need to donate for this domain name. Also it is not fair to ask members to cough up for a domain that should have been the clubs in the first place.

You haven't asked anyone to donate, in my opinion it is equally not fair to ask you to cough up the full amount for something that is a benefit for all members. However if you still feel strongly just add my donation to club funds.

+ 1 - couldn't have put it better :thumbs: