first time giving it some beans

BLINDS122000

hi everyone

just took the car for a spin down some private roads and tried a few

drag launches. first time i revved the car to 4000 to launch, launched

went into second and the clutch seemed to stick half way and then came back up again.

after that i smelt a horrible burning rubber smell!!??

only just bought the car and its only just had a service. 313 engine with 20,000 on clock.

do i have a clutch problem or did i not launch it correctly?

little bit worried

thanks

alex

Take it 4000 is way to much to launch at then?! Lol

not sure if I feathed the clutch to much on launch.

Would this cause the burning smell.

Defintaly wasn't the tyres. Had the traction control on

and it didn't even light up.

tbh starts like that will take thier toll on the powertrain of a car no matter how you do it. its a fact of life im afraid, hence race cars having to change parts all the time cos they burn out.

did you slip the clutch or just dump it?

cause at 4k revs and the traction not kicking it, you can't have released the clutch enough, which would lead to burning the clutch.

i can rev my laguna to 2k dump the clutch and traction kicks in so a 3.5l v6 i'd expect it to come in way before 4k.

No I didn't dump the clutch so must of maybe burnt it.

I did try to realse the clutch smoothly.

would this of damaged the clutch?

Only just got the car but did have a

civic type r so high rpm on launch was

kinda important. Guess this might not

be the story with the zed

what's the technique with feathering the throttle?

Thanks for the replies :)

if you stick your foot flat to the floor you will look like jeremy clarkson, looks great but wont go anywhere, you want to find a balance in there. im crap at explaining these things and by no means the best at it either. im sure someone here will reveal all :)

just look after the car :thumbs:

Why oh why would you launch a Zed at all. Unless you take it to the drag strip. Even then I dont see the point. You'll just kill the clutch quicker! Get out on the twisties thats where the real fun is :drive1

4k is too much for a launch, somewhere near 3000rpm is better, you can almost dump the clutch, the smell isnt necessarily an issue as long as you dont keep on doing it, the other thing to remember is dont rev the engine out of gear or with the clutch fully depressed for too long, the car will hold the clutch down after a while and wont let you dump all the revs onto it :)

obviously better with the TC off.

sorry but all yuor doing is shagging the clutch plate. your revs were so high that when you brought the plates togehter you just melted the plates. its like jabbing a piece of wood into a sanding disk, there is so much momentum it strips off some of the clutch before it bites.

big difference in power delivery between Zed and CTR, your old CTR was gutless under 4k and all your power was from there uo to 8.5 k, and being a 2 litre 4 pot with VVTi it lacked torque i think the CTR has about 150 nm (or ftlb) where as the Zed has about 250, hence you have to drive it like you stole it. because the zed has more torque you don't have to thrash it to get it to perform, in fact power drops off near the top of the rev range on the zed.

if your into traffic light grandprixs then 2-2.5 k is a max. i can pull away better than most on 1.5 k

my advice go and learn what the car can do, have a play but don't kill it. they are sturdy cars but like any vehicle parts deteriate quicker under heavy wear. i would think you just stripped about 2000 miles off the life expectancy of that clutch

i think everyone needs to get off their high horse a bit..i dont do it day in day out blah blah..

we've all done it...

why buy a car that can do 0-60 in 5-6 seconds if your never gonna find out???

i never said i don't do it, i love a good traffic light grandprix but i know where to rev the car to without shredding the clutch.

we all make mistakes we all learn from them.

well surely all the gent is doing is "learning" where to get a quick launch from???

dont get me wrong goes without saying that the more u "launch" your car the quicker the clutch wear will be..

fair enough, but if your learning wouldn't you start off at lower revs and work up. we're all different and appraoch a problem/learning situation differently

I have to agree that 4k launch may be a little on the high side.

I too came to the Zed from a Honda, JDM Prelude 2.2L VTEC, that had about 180-190 ponys.

With the 4 cylinders you have to give it some revs before you get to the powerband, so perhaps the 4k launch was something adapted from Honda driving.

You need to try and unlearn some things that you have picked up during your CTR ownership and learn some new things that are more suited for Zed driving.

Have fun discovering stuff and hope you don't cause too much damage in the process.

I'm sure if you have any questions you will find an answer here.

Thanks guys, yeh I now it all sounds abit daft

but only trying to learn About the car. Actualy

was also trying out that iPhone app g-tac.

Said my 0-60 was 7.5 seconds. Whether it's right

or not I have no idea lol

actualy had a go in my old type r yesterday

and it seems so more urgent pulling away with more

throttle response than what the zed feels. Once on the roll tho I feel the

zed is pulling harder. Is it because the

zed is heavier?

Cheers guys