Hmm Id like a bike

Zedrush

Hi guys, Im thinking of buying a motor bike, ive never riden one before but figured if I buy one it will make me want to take lessons and do a direct access so can ride it. Im thinking of buying this one cos like the looks and its something new to do, can anyone tell me if this would be a good buy:

http://www.ukbike.com/Yamaha_YZF-R1_990cc/UB912P695/

cheers :blush:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Forget it Jay :headhurt:

:blush: I can ride a mountain bike cant be that much more too it, I had an R1 as a present when I was 21 from my godfather but I gave it away as never rode it just looked at it and it sat in my garage, now I think be fun to have one :blush:

i'd love to ride a motor bike but have refrained from it as i have very little sense of fear or danger, which would tend to mean that i'll only last a few weeks before i kill myself on it. if i got one it would be a track weapon only.

i used to go to the bike show every year at the NEC and the R1 is a stunning bike. its meant to be insanly fast. if your starting out i'd go for the R6, still a very fast and capable bike.

Well that's a scam anyway if the price is anything to go by!

An R1 is a hell of a lot of bike.... An R6 would be a more suitable (still more than enough to scare the poop out of you) as you have to work it a little harder to go fast.

Do the Direct access before buying a bike. In london you might find a sports bike isn't the best for riding enjoyment.

Well that's a scam anyway if the price is anything to go by!

An R1 is a hell of a lot of bike.... An R6 would be a more suitable (still more than enough to scare the poop out of you) as you have to work it a little harder to go fast.

Do the Direct access before buying a bike. In london you might find a sports bike isn't the best for riding enjoyment.

i would agree, only cos i'm a big bloke with dodgy knees, i've been on mates bikees and can only cope with my knees bent up tight like that for about 30 min before it becomes really uncomfortable. i think if i got one it would have to be a sports tourer as the leg posisition is more comfortable.

Hi guys, Im thinking of buying a motor bike, ive never riden one before but figured if I buy one it will make me want to take lessons and do a direct access so can ride it. Im thinking of buying this one cos like the looks and its something new to do, can anyone tell me if this would be a good buy:

http://www.ukbike.com/Yamaha_YZF-R1_990cc/UB912P695/

cheers :blush:

This is a joke right? Pulling our legs? :bangin:

I've grown up on bikes and my R6 still scares the hell out of me :scare: Its nothing like riding a MTB, trust me, I've been riding them too since I was about 3yrs old!

If you are serious, go direct access, but get a 125cc and learn to ride it properly. I "officially" went straight to the R6 and its far more capable than me and most people that ride. You wont learn anything from that fast a bike, it will just be like holding on for dear life, and if anything dodgy happens, you wont react right and then you will be Deadrush :byebye:

I bought a GXS-R 600 for my first bike, had it for two months and sold it, main reason was i really saw me killing my self so i took a few months away bought a honda cb500 had that for a little while then it died, and couldn't be arsed to fix it.

Then I borrowed a Suzuki SV 650 of a friend while he finished off his masters degree and he needed a bit of extra cash, so I basiclly rented it off him and insured it myself.

Only now do I really feel comfortable to get back on a 'R' bike and wouldn't go above 750cc. I would still be really carfeful and not use it in the wet and bit a bit of a girl on it to be honest.

An R1 is a race bred bike, as your first bike you are very likely to drop it, hopeful it would be a low speed but they won't be forgiving at all. In comparasion you wouldn't pass your car test, a go drive a 900hp Dodge Viper and hope you dont get caught in the wet.

Obvisouly this is all up to you, my advise would be get a 500-600cc sport bike by all means, ie honda cbf 600 or something keep it for a summer then when you feel a bit more comfortable look into a faster bike.

I dont know how much experience you have on a bike but if you've not riden one before, the shock of when a car pulls out in front of you is nothing you can prepare for, and on a large bike its going to be a lot harder to control than a smaller, lighter, more nimble bike.

If you want a R1 buy all means get one, but i'd wait and get it when you've ridden for a year or two.

Jon

cheers all okay will look at R6 and then do direct access this years, cheers for info :thumbs:

Even an R6 is a mental bike, I think you should be looking for something a bit less crazy. A CBF600 would be a good 500CC+ size bike which isnt too crazy. Trust me when I tell you the throttle on the R6 is more like an on/off switch. One twitch and the bike will be launching up the road faster than you've ever been before, if you meant it or not :scare:

cheers all okay will look at R6 and then do direct access this years, cheers for info :thumbs:

Even an R6 is a mental bike, I think you should be looking for something a bit less crazy. A CBF600 would be a good 500CC+ size bike which isnt too crazy. Trust me when I tell you the throttle on the R6 is more like an on/off switch. One twitch and the bike will be launching up the road faster than you've ever been before, if you meant it or not :scare:

My first bike was (still is) the kwak eqivalent and you just have to have absolute respect for it.

My top tip for you Jay is buy a brand new one that needs run in..... That way you'll get used to riding it slowly before opening the throttle and wheelieing up the road.

Even a 600 supersport is brutal. Absolutely insane.

Seriously mate I wouldn't even jump straight onto an R6.

Your first few months on a bike will be spent either feeling incredibly smug ;) (Traffic? What traffic) or completely terrified. :scare:

I learned and rode a 125 for like a year and it was immense fun, an amazing feeling and still reasonably quick if you've never been into bikes.

I would say if you'd never driven a car before a Zed would be way too much too soon- start off small. The same goes for bikes! :thumbs:

I had a Yamaha DT50 when I was 17 ... what a machine ! :lol::blush:

:cloud9::lol:

I would say if you'd never driven a car before a Zed would be way too much too soon- start off small. The same goes for bikes! :thumbs:

I kinda have to disagree a little bit. The Zed has very linear power delivery and although it has a lot of power, its very easy to drive slowly and sensibly (if the driver has the mental capabilites ;) ) and keep in control. I agree its not an ideal first car, but its not a killer like an Evo or S2000 could be. The throttle is very responsive and not at all over sensitive. A supersport bike (600cc) is complete animal in comparison! I would compare an R6/CBR600/600ZZR to something akin to a tuned up Evo in terms of power delivery. Totally ruthless power!

On the Gixer every time I pulled away from the lights it was a sheer battle just on stay on the bike, it felt like it was just going to come away from between my legs :lol:

Don't be in a rush to get a R1/R6, you will have more fun on a smaller more nimble bike, ok it won't impress people down the pub but i'm sure thats not the reason you want a R1. The sensation of speed, even on a 125 is greater then you will get in any car.

So I reiterate, start small and work up :thumbs:

Jay you mental muppet! Don't do it. I have to agree with what nearly everyone above has said. I've obviously been around bikes a lot and you would be crazy to even attempt an R6 (the bike my lad crashed after riding 4 years!) never mind an R1. That would be like giving a 17 year old who has never driven a car the keys to a ferrari...........big mistake! :bangin:

P.S

Can you put me in your will............. :lol:

To be honest, I think you'd be ok on an R6 (you don't have to nail it) but you'd have no confidence and probably go off biking quickly. Try sitting on one in a showroom, its like riding a missile you are basically lying on your front. I'd gain a bit of confidence first, buy a cheap sv650 or something that your happy to drop because you will drop it, probably at nearly 0mph but you'll drop it, probably more than once and you might not even be on it (dropped my sv of its stand whilst trying to chat up my current wife, what a dick!). Have to say probably the best thing you can do is put the miles on, commute on it and you'll get good very quickly. I did sv for about 13,000miles, gsxr6 for about 10,000miles, z750 for about 13,000miles and then a CBR954 Fireblade which got binned and haven't ridden since. Out of all of the z750 was the most fun I've ever had and kept with sportsbikes on trackdays.