ABS Warning light and faulty speedo = £4,500?????

moviepunk

I have a Major problem and need SERIOUS help guys.

My speedo hasn't been working for a few months and the ABS warning light and hand brake light are permanently illuminated.

My 350 drives beautifully and there i thought there is definitely nothing wrong with it. I thought it was a slight electrical error.

I took it to the dealer (Wilsons in Epsom) and they say the ABS electrical system needs to be totally replaced. So its going to cost £4,500!!!!!! They said its just a small little box but its needs doing! Otherwise it won't pass the mot!!!

The weird thing is when the speedo stopped working i left it for a couple days then came back it started working again. Then after another week stopped. That was 6 months ago.

The codes they gave me are as follows

Po500 Speed sensor

P1212 ABS

U1001 EPS

I really can't afford 4 and a half grand. Does anyone have any segestions???

My poor baby is sitting unused on the street and me stressed to hell!

I adore my car but no nothing about the technical side. Please help

Thanks in advance

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you taken it to another dealers? That doesn't sound right, esp considering you can buy a Zed for £9k. . . Sure someone on here will be able to source the parts considerably cheaper, and an independant garage will charge less than nissan for the repair, surely.

Can imagine yor worry tho, thats a sh1t load of cash!

Wow, £4,500 :thumbdown: .. I am no expert but that is way off being decent to ask somebody to pay for a repair. ABS system replacement is I imagine a fairly major peice to replace but before you go any further I would indeed seek second maybe third opinion diagnosis. I would not trust the Nissan Stealers to diagnose anything that costs that much. If as you say the car is driving ok, then I would take it elsewhere for them to check. Hope this is not as bad as they say it is. I haven't heard of this having to be replaced before. :scare:

Have you taken it to another dealers? That doesn't sound right, esp considering you can buy a Zed for £9k. . . Sure someone on here will be able to source the parts considerably cheaper, and an independant garage will charge less than nissan for the repair, surely.

Having replaced some major components in my own car (OEM), the price Moviepunk has been quoted wouldn't surprise me at all.

Defo try another dealer. ;)

My first reaction is that the price quoted is ridiculous. £4.5k for a box of tricks and probably an hours labour at best. Id try another deaer - or indeed start searching the scrap yards for the parts you want. depending on how much effort it is to remove, you may be better spending a couple of hours in a scrap yard taking the bits off and paying the scrap dealer whateer they think its worth - you may be lucky and find one that would rather lt you have it for a hundred quid than let it sit and rot in his yard for years to come.

Many SatNav's have a digital speedo.

Is functionning ABS part of the MOT?

I am pretty sure that if the car has ABS, it's part of the MOT

Option 1- as Chesterfield ^^^^^^^^^^^

Option 2 - remove ABS

?

Pretty sure ABS warning light would be a fail - stupidly the speedo not working isn't lol.

I would say your best bet is finding out of said part needs to be coded or if its just a straight unplug/plug - if so then I am sure you could find one in a scrappy for a lot less.

• 2 weeks later...

£4500 sounds like its something to do with the BCM or ECU.

Cost of new parts has nothing to do with the cost of Zeds going down! They were a 30k car. They are OEM from Nissan and all dealers will be roughly the same price as they all use the same computer system and roughly the same labour rates!

Is the car on a lease / loan or did you buy outright? Any extended wtee? Also your insurance may have some options...

Personally I wouldnt take it to Wilsons, try Ancasters in South Croydon for a 2nd opinion.

Try PM'ing zmanalex as he may have a few of the parts you need.

Good luck anyway, its a pain in the arse when your in the dark and just getting told stuff you dont "really" understand by the dealer and there is only one option! ...

Where are you based i have access to lots of facilities and worked for nissan as a tech for 4 years (not all nissan dealerships are out to rip you off, we used to stretch as far as possible with customer at dixon nissan in lincoln!) and i still have lots of good contacts i.e. free consult time, parts cheap etc etc i will help as much as poss.

ABS warning light on will be a mot test fail, althought they dont test it directly if the light is on its a fail, if for some reason the light was to stop illuminating then it would pass :blush:

Does the abs still function?

Is the abs working all the time?

Could be water ingress in conectors cables or control unit? have you noticed and water getting in the car?

coops

£4500 sounds like its something to do with the BCM or ECU.

Cost of new parts has nothing to do with the cost of Zeds going down! They were a 30k car. They are OEM from Nissan and all dealers will be roughly the same price as they all use the same computer system and roughly the same labour rates!

Is the car on a lease / loan or did you buy outright? Any extended wtee? Also your insurance may have some options...

Personally I wouldnt take it to Wilsons, try Ancasters in South Croydon for a 2nd opinion.

Try PM'ing zmanalex as he may have a few of the parts you need.

Good luck anyway, its a pain in the arse when your in the dark and just getting told stuff you dont "really" understand by the dealer and there is only one option! ...

+1. If both speedo readouts aren't working then thats pointing to a more serious problem. Doesnt the AC-module control speed output? I know it has the speed wire going through it. Its just behind the AC controls and is a white box with a lot of plugs going into it... but i know they're expensive new...

As for ABS, i dont believe they test that on an MOT so i would remove the bulb/stick black tape over it. Screw paying £4500!!

Where are you based i have access to lots of facilities and worked for nissan as a tech for 4 years (not all nissan dealerships are out to rip you off, we used to stretch as far as possible with customer at dixon nissan in lincoln!) and i still have lots of good contacts i.e. free consult time, parts cheap etc etc i will help as much as poss.

ABS warning light on will be a mot test fail, althought they dont test it directly if the light is on its a fail, if for some reason the light was to stop illuminating then it would pass :blush:

Does the abs still function?

Is the abs working all the time?

Could be water ingress in conectors cables or control unit? have you noticed and water getting in the car?

coops

Hey Coops, Im based in South west London/surrey.

As far as i can tell the ABS works as good as ever.

No haven't noticed any water getting in the car.

Thanks for the input, any and all help is greatly appreciated

It's worth PMing ZEDMANALEX for some advice here as he is very knowledgeable.

It is also worth finding out if the module is coded to the ECU. If you do find one then whatever you pay is not a bargain if it's then a useless bit of electronic trickery.

Well worth getting a second opinion locally too. That would be the first thing to do!

Thanks for everyones help.

I phoned up Ancasters in Croydon and they said Not to trust Wilsons lol

The part I needed whick costs 4 grand is the ABS control unit. (ECU) I found a few online for £250 plus vat but Ancasters said they are all coded to that particular car. So im going to take the car down there for a second opinion.

Thanks for everyones help.

I phoned up Ancasters in Croydon and they said Not to trust Wilsons lol

The part I needed whick costs 4 grand is the ABS control unit. (ECU) I found a few online for £250 plus vat but Ancasters said they are all coded to that particular car. So im going to take the car down there for a second opinion.

Christian,

I have replied to your pm.

The NATS code for your car can be retrieved from Nissan U.K and reprogrammed to another virgin ECU. It is also sometimes possible to reprogramme to a used UCU. ;)