sub £1k RWD track car... UPDATED - Woop Woop!!

marzman

Hey guys,

After doing my first drift event yesterday, my mate and i loved it and want to buy a bit of a 'beater' car together to take to drift/track days.

As we're not serious track enthusiasts and also dont want to be investing loads of time (and more importantly, money), we need to consider what car to get.

Criteria are:

Must be RWD

Must be reliable

Must be sub £1k. (Aiming for around £700!!).

Must be reasonably powerful.

So far we've been looking at 325 E30 BMW's, and mk2 MR2's (seem cheaper than the bmw's - but how reliable?)

Can anyone think of any other cars which meet these criteria..?? Also, any useful information or other things to think about which i've not thought of? (we'll decide about tax/MOT/insurance when we get the car...!)

Hi Chris,

Martin here from yesterday ... Good to meet you and Tom and I think we all had a great day. Funnily enough some of my mates were thinking the same thing about buying a rear wheel drive banger ...

I reckon a good choice includes a Nissan 200 sx, Nissan Silvia (if you can still find them) :-) Alternatively BMW 3 series ...

BTW do you have any pics/vids of my car from yesterday ?

Martin

mr2 mk2 are pretty bullet proof, as long as well maintained, if you get the turbo version its mucho fun :teeth:

engine is in the wrong place for drifting, therefore an mx5 would be a better option.

Try some volvos, BMW as you say is a very good option, or a 200sx (which is pretty reliable and easily tunable if you want more power)

:thumbs:

I would say an old skool toyota starlet but i think they were only a 1 litre lol. Corollas the other option but i doubt you'll find one that cheap.

Did you miss the RWD bit ;)

Hey guys...

Well my mate's been looking online all day at cars, and i think we're both leaning towards an mx-5.

You can get them for seriously little money - like £700, and they'll do the business. They seem to be the cheapest car out off all the suggestions so far - and its small enough to not take up too much space on my drive too!

200sx's are still very pricey... looking at £1500 minimum which is way more than we wanna spend.

So we're watching a few on ebay right now, and he's emailed a few people... so may have one in the next few weeks!

Hi Chris,

Martin here from yesterday ... Good to meet you and Tom and I think we all had a great day. Funnily enough some of my mates were thinking the same thing about buying a rear wheel drive banger ...

I reckon a good choice includes a Nissan 200 sx, Nissan Silvia (if you can still find them) :-) Alternatively BMW 3 series ...

BTW do you have any pics/vids of my car from yesterday ?

Martin

Hey Martin,

Yep it was good meeting you too...! After the passenger ride on your celica i saw how it should be done - so i absolutely ripped it for the last 25 mins...! I had a great time!

I have pics and vids of your car... i'll post them up probably tomorrow night now - but i'll PM you when i do. :thumbs:

I concur an MX5 is probably a good all round choice TBH ... You probably wouldn't lose much money on it either ... Funnily enough I have a set of Recaro kevlar seats out of an MX5 Limited Edtion in my garage :-)

On the 200sx a friend of mine must have got a bargain then cause he picked one up for £800 a couple of years ago, all it needed was a clutch and he uses it for drifting. Every day I see it in our works carpark and think - that is a nice car ... He has tuned it and put big boots on it too ...

Glad you enjoyed Saturday Chris. I was impressed how quickly you got the hang of it and the Z's do seem to drift well. I also did 70 miles last time when Darren was there, so addictive isn't it :thumbs: Saturdat was my third time there but I think I have got the hang of the Toyota now and with it having so much grip I do have to leather it which is loads of fun. Another guy randomly asked me for a passenger lap on Saturday, how could I refuse :lol: The small twisty circuit has become my favourite now and also seems to be the one with least traffic on it :yahoo:

Martin

Sorry Chris but I've got to say (and its only IMHO)

MX5's are gay cars

:surrender:

Dude - i fully agree with you... They're almost as gay as Mini's. :lol::lol: But then it doesnt matter what it looks like if it drives well on track I wouldn't drive it in public, and would be stripping it and making it track ready. And its different enough to keep it interesting.

My S13 would have been track worthy after a grand if you wasnt fussed what it looked like. It now owes me nigh on 1800quid but i have a 2way diff and various mods now including the all important "de-rust"