She's finally ready for the summer!

IanS16

Finally got the alloys refurbed and tidied her up ready for the summer.

Quick list of the work done this week:

Alloys refurbed (powder coated)

New Falken 452s on the rear (camskill - think they were about £140 for 275/35/19 :) )

Megs Claybar (lube smells of cherry which was a nice surprise)

2x autoglym polishes

respray of the sideskirt fronts in the arches where the salt had blasted the paint away

cleanup of exhaust with autosol (still cant get it perfect)

Repaired the carbon front lip (was all cracked) with some plastic glue and black dye.

Engine bay cleaned

Copied Tim (lomoto) and sprayed my door vents azure

Cleaned the interior

Repaired my front grille

The alloys took a couple of days to grow on me but I like them now. Makes the car look less chavvy and more functional. Also for some reason they make the whole car look a lot smaller and more sporty :wacko:

Anyway, some pics:

Engine bay:

IMG_1614.jpg

Side Profile:

IMG_1619.jpg

Front:

IMG_1615.jpg

Back:

IMG_1618.jpg

Front wheel:

IMG_1617.jpg

Rear Wheel:

IMG_1621.jpg

Stone chips :rant:

IMG_1624.jpg

Love the Azure when its clean though

IMG_1620.jpg

:teeth:

Looking good ian :#1:

so go on then how are the wheels??????

Well they are pretty good - nice and smooth and the guys have done a better job than I thought with sorting the heavy curbing on the lips. Only thing im a bit worried about is the durability of the powder coat as (see pic for front wheel) one of the wheels has chipped and i know I havent touched a curb (yet :lol: )

All in all a great job for £35 a wheel though! The biggest problems I had was hammering off the locking wheel nuts and getting someone to fit tyres that I had purchased from the internet. A rik fit garage tried to charge me £45 a wheel to put them back on but I managed to get it done for £20.

I need to find out how to raise my suspension 5mm or so though as the rear tyres scrub the arches on heavy cornering. I think the Falkens are a bit more squared than the Toyos.

the one of the front wheel 5th pic dowm looks like its picked up a chip on the rim on the right hand side middle of on of the segments just under where it says volks. you can see a white chip. hope its just a bit of dirt or something.

those wheels look sweet by the way.

Cheers for the comments guys, I see the chip you are on about but I think its just a trick of the light or something. I've just had a look and nothing is there :thumbs:

Yeah I'll get the tyres dressed, i think the crap is just the grease stuff used to get the tyres on the rims.

Anyway, at least my wheels aren't embarrassing any more :blush:

Nice work Ian. Im loving the wheels in that shade... B)

How long did the clay-ing take...? Im doing mine in a couple of weeks...!

You done the zed before? How bads the paint?

Nope, never clayed before... and only polished once. To be honest the paint is really good - there are no swirl marks at all, although there is a lot of tar. When i rub my fingers over it, the car feels rough.

Nope, never clayed before... and only polished once. To be honest the paint is really good - there are no swirl marks at all, although there is a lot of tar. When i rub my fingers over it, the car feels rough.

Oh well, plenty lube and a bit of time! I never wear a watch when I'm cleaning or detailing so how idea how long anything takes. :blush:

Oh well, plenty lube and a bit of time! I never wear a watch when I'm cleaning or detailing so how idea how long anything takes. :blush:

Too right. Unfortunately my back is the only time-keeping equipment i need! Im in agony today after painting my brakes, and im already dreading the full day of detailing. :bangin:

I'd say the claybar took less than 2 hours. Its easier than polishing IMO. I'm chuffed with the result but it did show up the stone chips on the front bumper.

Will re-do it the day before Wales (as long as its dry) which I'm actually looking forward to :blush:

I need to join in with that competition though as I've lost a wheel nut on the rear :surrender:

I've got a some spare standard nuts i can bring to wales if you want one...? Are your bronze coloured though? Could tide you over... till u win the comp :D

Would do me a favour if you could - I either need to win the comp or wait till payday for some more 5zigen ones :lol:

Problem is - I'm not sure the stock ones will fit inside my Volks :wacko:

Don't worry Stew, I've got an idea :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...