Help!!! Can't remove gear knob!!

BRO-T

May sound daft but I’m struggling with this.

My bro and I have tried for about an hour to remove my stock worn gear knob. I have read several guides and we have followed the general gist of them. Vice clamps on the shift lever and clamps on the knob itself, turn counter clockwise. This isn't working though, the knob just about turns even with 2 of us working together, I reckon we got 8 completed turns of the knob and it's no looser or even close to coming off!!!

Can anyone think of away to get it off? The only way we've come up with now is to hack the old knob to bits with a hacksaw!!

It does take quite a few turns to get it off. You need to clamp the gear lever shaft to stop it rotating then keep twisting the the knob off. It doesnt seem to get any looser until its nearly off as it has locking thread on it.

If that doesnt work after a lot of turns then something must be slipping, in which case I cant help. I wouldnt suggest trying to use a hacksaw to get it off as you then have no thread for the new one to go onto!

May sound daft but I’m struggling with this.

My bro and I have tried for about an hour to remove my stock worn gear knob. I have read several guides and we have followed the general gist of them. Vice clamps on the shift lever and clamps on the knob itself, turn counter clockwise. This isn't working though, the knob just about turns even with 2 of us working together, I reckon we got 8 completed turns of the knob and it's no looser or even close to coming off!!!

Can anyone think of away to get it off? The only way we've come up with now is to hack the old knob to bits with a hacksaw!!

I seem to remember watching 3fiddyz doing mine and he needed 30 or so turns. Someone who knows more will be along soon :thumbs:

Someone who knows more will be along soon :thumbs:

Oi, I told them it takes more turns and that it doesnt get any looser until the end. I've had mine on and off about 4 times so I know what I'm doing :boxing::lol:

No circlip on mine, but that doesnt mean there isnt one :blush:

Oi, I told them it takes more turns and that it doesnt get any looser until the end. I've had mine on and off about 4 times so I know what I'm doing :boxing::lol:

think we posted together chris, when i said knows more, i meant than me! :p

think we posted together chris, when i said knows more, i meant than me! :p

Let you off then :console:

Thanks for your help guys, so basically keep persisting with it.

When I said hack it off, i meant, cut into the gear knob bit by bit!

Is there a way of removing the lever from the gear box?

I''d try and master the Gear knob removal before you go down that route :lol:

seriously, think removing Knob is step1 of that process.

Don't know if this will help but on an auto (mines an auto) their is a circlip which can be spung out with a screwdriver under the silver coloured ring under the gear knob, maybe the manual gearnob is similar.

Have you changed your auto gear knob for an after-market one?

• 1 year later...
i didn't find it that difficult. Just took it off with my bare hands

Easy for you M13KYF, but you failed to mention that before gearknob removal you uttered the words

"BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL....(cue lightning and a growing cat)...I HAVE THE POWER!!!"

:lol::lol::lol:

I had serious problems getting mine off too! It' had chips of the aluminium come of underneath the knob, whover mr yang was that fitted that knob knew how to make it tight!

Just came across this TSB for gear knob removal (looking for something else at the time) - having seen several posts in recent times with people struggling, thought this might help :)

http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/z/project ... emoval.htm

:thumbs: thats a great find! Hose would be far better then using a cloth!

i didn't find it that difficult. Just took it off with my bare hands

Easy for you M13KYF, but you failed to mention that before gearknob removal you uttered the words

"BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL....(cue lightning and a growing cat)...I HAVE THE POWER!!!"

hahahahahahaha :lol:

• 4 months later...
Here is a link to how to get the 350 knob off (Nissan official procedure)

Whether the same principle applies to a 370 though :shrug:

OMG - now I wish I hadn't bought a new knob- that looks a right fanny of a job :dry:

to much fanny and knob talk in here :lol:

Mine was real tight and looked under neath the knob and could see that it was so tightened that it had a little crack on the aluminium... It would have been nice to be two doing the knobbing for sure.

Here is a link to how to get the 350 knob off (Nissan official procedure)

Whether the same principle applies to a 370 though :shrug:

OMG - now I wish I hadn't bought a new knob- that looks a right fanny of a job :dry:

to much fanny and knob talk in here :lol:

Mine was real tight and looked under neath the knob and could see that it was so tightened that it had a little crack on the aluminium... It would have been nice to be two doing the knobbing for sure.

Nothing lost in the translation there Anders! :lol:

Lol mines was a nightmare and I had to get my mate to help. The two of us are big guys and still struggled. One car, Two guys, 4 strong arms, 2 pairs of mole grips, 2 old rags and 1 old knob and 1 new knob and plenty of elbow grease :lol: