What do you learn from this VIN plate?

I have tried to decode the VIN (the 18 character string), but it doesn't seem to conform to the "JN1...." format.

What do more knowledgable folks think?

I have just paid a deposit to buy this vehicle, and I'm trying to be careful.

Thanks in advance.

(My first post!)

[attachment=0]350 VIN.jpg[/attachment]

if you want to be sure, spend the best £15 ever and get an HPI check done, it will instantly show any milage descrepency, if its been written off, if it has any outstanding finance, or if anything else major has happened to it. thats if its a UK car. if its an import the info will generally only go back as far as when it entered the country.

Its a Jap import

its a roadster (softtop)

VQ35 DE engine (pre 2006 I think dont quote me)

2 Wheel Drive

Right hand drive

Mapped for mid grade fuel

Manual

Multiple fuel injection

Japanese

Standard spec

its black

Made in i think the Osaka plant (dont quote me on this)

next question :D

Are you expecting it to be a UK car? UK car VINS start Z33XXXXX I think. Can someone confirm? I'm sure there is a definate difference between UK and import VIN numbers at the start.

My car is a JDM but the VIN starts Z33

Not HZ like the one at the top? Hmm interesting....

Dan, that decoding is right, apart from the colour. It's silver. And I think always was. I couldn't find any hint of a respray.

The Chassis Number starts with HZ33. This is the number also imprinted into the bulkhead in the engine compartment.

From what I can gather, Japanese VIN numbers are called Model Numbers (as per photo) and are not at all like US style VIN numbers - for which there are several sources on the web, including at 350z forums in the US.

Confused? I was. But it's clearer now. Plus I have now seen the Auction Sheet that was faxed to me - showing consistent info with the logbook and mileage.

Thanks for the tip about HPI - yes, great idea, and I will do that.

I can't post photos of the vehicle yes - haven't got it. I could post the link to the sales site, but I don't want it to appear that I distrust the sellers.

Anyway - it's four years old and has 4,000 miles on the clock. Brake discs need some action to get them shiny again, but it seems in perfect nick.

Shame about the satnav (reading other posts in this forum). Sounds like a choice between replacing what's behind the screen (which is tidiest solution) and getting a double-DIN unit to replace the current CD/radio (the Kenwood has been mentioned). If anyone has done either - and is proud of it - please share! Thanks.

And thanks to all the welcoming posts. It's great to be here. I now have satisfied a childhood dream to have a sports car - at the ripe old age of 5x (where x is a state secret).

Steve

Are you expecting it to be a UK car? UK car VINS start Z33XXXXX I think. Can someone confirm? I'm sure there is a definate difference between UK and import VIN numbers at the start.

+1

+1

Thats that out the window then :blush:

Not HZ like the one at the top? Hmm interesting....

Most down this end of the world seem to start Z33 as well.

Anyway - it's four years old and has 4,000 miles on the clock. Brake discs need some action to get them shiny again, but it seems in perfect nick.

Nice find, good mileage. Welcome!!!