Welcome to the new look site

Chesterfield

Thanks for the comments ekona, we always knew it was a case of not being able to please everyone all the time, though you do make some valid points about the new pm colour etc. This is something that we can look into.

With regard to the open feel, I think this is in part that the fonts have changed, and also that the pages resize to fit various screen resolutions. The restrictions on signatures etc should help as you say.

This topic shouldnt be used as a great example though, as for some reason it does not seem to be working correctly, perhaps due to the timing of the post and the changes made shortly afterward.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the space in posts ekona. Thats the first thing i noticed. And it sounds daft but one of the reasons i dont use other forums...! The posts dont flow anymore as they're all a standard size post, even if there's only 1 line of txt in it :bang:

Overall it does look 'flashier' Not sure it actually adds anything to the forum side of things. Recently I have been very concsious of sites which have overhauls which actually make things 'prettier' but often don't actually add any content/function. It would be good to have a list of what new features we have.

The forum looks good when viewed through the iPhone - better than i thought it would due to it looking so spaced out on a normal browser.

One area which i think is a step back is the way we show "unread posts" previously the category was in its own column. This was great as you could see in the list if there any specific posts in forums you like i.e. I like keeping an eye on the ICE stuff but don't want to go to the ICE section all the time when the unread will give me what we need.

Now the cateogory is in a small font making it harder to read. This change is the sort that adds nothing as the space gained from the 1 less coiumn is not actually used as thread titles are never that long.

There are a lot more features for the Admin team to help keep things running smoothly. Notably around the number of connections from IPs which was slowing the old site down. As rob mentioned we also have new powers to ban people (temp or permenant) and a few more. From the user side of things, I dont think much is new to play with other than more fancy options for colours and the like.

The top navigation area and appearance definitely works better in terms of visual heirachy.

I'm a little undecided on the PHPBB colour theme for the main threads etc. It is more mature as mentioned but also reminds me of a Bathroom department in B&Q!

It's quite different to the usual car forum themes of Grays and Blacks but maybe its a grower.

Icons also look good.

Rob - good point, Ill see if we can get the category added as a column on the unread posts function :thumbs:

Marzman - is it possible to post a screen grab of what your screen looks like and possibly put some notes on it, as I dont quite understand the "spaced out" issue. The forum does resize for larger screen resolutions, so perhaps it is that. Once I have a better understanding of what the issue is, Ill se if it can be fixed / altered. :thumbs:

With regard to signatures etc on this thread, it appears that there has been a glitch when posting this thread, and by default BBcode, smilies and signatures are removed - simply flick them back on again when posting in here (use the add reply rather than quick reply, for your next post) and it should be back to normal.

additions from a users perspective are:

ability to report posts to a moderator - this can be seen by all mods, so no need to pm individuals

ability to use extra Bcode buttons - such as the youtube one already added

A beaten to posting review - if someone replied before you, then you have the opportunity to change your post

additions to the way in which unread posts can be displayed - active topics, unread posts, new posts.

"Print view" for topics, making for more efficient/economical printing of a thread

Additional functions in the user control panel, custom folders for PM's, multiple recipients for PM's etc.

There are also quite a few additions for moderating, which although notthing special from a users perspective, should make it easier for us to keep the place neat and tidy.

whats the bit about friends and foes - I'm worried I will need to see a psychiatrist if nobody wants to be my friend................

Your alright Nixy i will be your friend, but i have plenty to put in my foes list :lol:

Not sure how to sent a private pm as wont let me type name in the to box, just looked at the banner, sorry if im being anal I know its easy for me to sit back and nit pick, but honestly I am in awe of the work you have done. Just slight highlight on banner

banner.jpg

Im an idiot I know, sorry for pointing this out

Jay - a couple of ways of sending PM - one is to click the PM link within the users post, or if you know the name of the person you wish to PM, then the steps are:

click your PM box link at the top (will probably say 0 new messages)

then click compose message (top left)

in the white box that appears at the top left, you can add the users you want to send the message to - each one on its own line, then click the "Add To". You will then see their names appear in the To section above your message.

Anyone you have added to your Friends list will appear at the bottom left, you can just click the ADD button next to their name to put them straight into the "to" section.

Hope that helps :thumbs:

Now whats this about the banner? I cant see what you are describing? :blush:

You can see on Jays images that there is no gradient on the highlighted bit but its fine (on the site banner)on my computer.

Still dont get it, where is the gradient bit meant to be? I can see there is no gradient, but whats wrong with that? :blush::headhurt:

There is a slight gradient to the background of the header bar - in order for the images of the forum logo and the orange Z not to stick out like sore thumbs, they have had their backround filled with the same gradient.

There must be some issue with the way that the background image is loaded for the main banner that is causing it to be solid black, resulting in the other two images (whose background is fixed, and not generated from a 1pixel wide strip) causing the issue that Jay must be seeing.

May struggle with that one as its coding for a mac browser, which may as well be Chinese to me. :blush: