How to tell your car hasn't been thrashed.

MattMe

Just noticed while flicking through the 350z 'pooter the average MPG...

That's got to be a good sign. Anyone else seen such a high figure in that little box before? I'm surprised but I'll doubt it will stay that way for long :teeth:

32?

Crikey, not bad going.

After reading other average MPG threads on here before I kind of expected mine to be around the 20 mark. Just put a bit of confidence in me that the car might not have been ragged everywhere by the previous owner. It's something I don't like to think about when buying cars because there's absolutely no way of knowing how it's been treated. Suppose if it's all still in one piece and not making any funny noises that's also a good sign.

:)

If they did a lot of dual carridgeway or motorway commuting then thats perfectly normal. I get about 29MPG on average with a 75mile commute per day with mostly m-way but some A roads and some fun roads ;) Last Wales run I came back with an avg of 31MPG, and we werent hanging around in the front group ;)

Normal run to work is about 22. That 32 started with a desparate run up to Chester doing 70 - 90. Constant fast speeds don't faze the Zed as you are using the power of the engine. Stop start in traffic and ragging it in lower gears soon as an effect on mpg.

Chips on the front are purely relational to the number of miles the car has done. Nothing to do with being ragged. If I was visiting that dealer, I'd tell him I want a car with no chips what so ever otherwise its been ragged :lol:

Chips on the front are purely relational to the number of miles the car has done. Nothing to do with being ragged. If I was visiting that dealer, I'd tell him I want a car with no chips what so ever otherwise its been ragged :lol:

Thats not a word :p

Oh and NOT ANOTHER MPG THREAD SURELY :surrender:

Thats not a word :p

Bloody well is. Might have used it in the wrong context, but its a word :p Maybe I should have said it has a linear relationship instead :thumbs:

Not much indication when it can be reset so easily. On a whole tank you could easily get around that figure by doing some good motorway miles ~ 70mph but then also a section hammering it around.

As for the stone chips - there just due to crap thin paint combined with a fairly flat front. Really wish i got my bumper done at the same time as my bonnet last year.

Oh alright then, I bought a thrashed car and I just trying to make myself feel better about it, but no you had to go and take that from me!

Mainly I was surprised that you'd ever get a MPG reading that high - wasn't aware you'd get 30+ on motorway miles. Another plus point of owning a Zed I was unaware of :thumbs:

Just noticed while flicking through the 350z 'pooter the average MPG...

That's got to be a good sign. Anyone else seen such a high figure in that little box before? I'm surprised but I'll doubt it will stay that way for long :teeth:

Surely this can be reset to zero by keeping the button depressed

the avg mpg reading is useless to make any inference on the way the car was used...if on the motorway at 70mph...reset the avg mpg and it will show 35mpg easy....

Stonechips depend on type of roads the car is driven on and the traffic in front...try following a transit van on a dirty road etc...your brand new car will be full of chips in 2 weeks!

To be honest...you can never tell if the car has been thrashed! only clue is to check the wear and tear on suspension, engine and diff oil in relation to the mileage and service intervals left etc.....even then it all depends on raod conditions, driver style etc...not neccessarily confirmed thrashing of a motor!

IF you like the car and it has no major faults...then its history will not make much of a difference...if it has to go wrong it will go wrong within 5-10k miles...thats a year after your purchase anyway..so you cant blame it on the previous owner either!

I'm lucky to get 18-19mpg have a round trip of about 6 miles per day to/from work, not just the stopping and starting that causes the problems but as soon as you get half a chance you just have to slam the loud pedal and make the most of it :thumbs:

Am I the only one who resets the mpg every time I fill up?