What is the normal operating oil temp?

matth76

Hi

I just been reading the faqs and have found out that the normal oil pressure should be around 30psi at least. However what should the normal operating oil temperature be in average English temps in the summer?

When you look at the oil temp on your trip computer how long does it normally take for you to reach this temp (I know it will be longer in cold climates)? I would assume it is around 10-15 mins at least in good old dull English weather and as with any sports car should never be taken over 3 to 3.5k revs during this warm up period.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

Hi

I just been reading the faqs and have found out that the normal oil pressure should be around 30psi at least. However what should the normal operating oil temperature be in average English temps in the summer?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

Between 80 and 120 C I've been told, so set my Oil temp alarm accordingly. Also read that Coolant filling routine involves getting engine to 90 C and refers to it as 'Normal'

Where does it say 30psi Oil pressure is normal? ???

Mine's not stock so can't comment on how long this takes...

Picking up my new 350 this weekend and naturally assumed it would have the oil temp in the trip computer like my old Golf VR6 that I drive at the mo. I find it very useful to know when I've reached operating temp before I can really floor it :teeth:

How do you guys know when you've reached normal temps before taking it over 3 to 3.5k revs? Do you just wait roughly 10-15 mins or so from cold?

I wait at least a good 30-40 secs before nailing it to the redline ;) ;) ;)

Usually about as long as it takes to get me to a piece of road where I can actually enjoy the car, so anywhere between 5-7 mins and then it's dependant on outside temperature (I'll wait a bit longer in this weather). Tbh unless you're running serious power via FI then even 5mins is probably overkill, these engines are pretty strong and meant to be driven.

I wait until Oil pressure reads in the middle of the gauge for normal cruising, plus another few mins, then I think it should be nice and warm, then I can play :teeth:

+1, just wait till the pressure and revs have dropped, i usually bring the car carefully around the rev range before absaloutly nailing it :thumbs:

i.e. i dont sit in 5th gear doing 30mph at 2000rpms then red line it in 2nd, ill probably go up to 4000 a few times before going to the red line, no idea if this makes any difference but hey :)