cheap reliable run around car

nurrish

Had a 95 Astra 1.7TD that was written off in April. 5 seats and 50mpg. It was free but it was a £500 car.

Replaced it with a Landrover Freelander 5 seats, loads of room but 30mpg. I got it cheap at the time and it hasn't been too bad. A couple of niggly things. Magic in the snow!

Golfs are nice and reliable. Focus are cheaper now and handle well. take your pick from the rep mobiles!

Fiesta 1.25 Zetec My mates got one and the engines been solid had a few probs with sticky door locks and elec windows tho. But his is a P reg lol. You could pick one of those up for about £1500-£2000 for a good one :)

P plate 2k?

Maybe £800 for a really good one!

I agree the 1,25 zetec is a cracker of an engine!

I've got a citroen xantia 1.9TD P reg. Paid 500 notes for it back in august 2007. Done about 40,000 miles in it since and its been a great car. Reliable and very comfortable. Usual wear and tear, tyres, brakes etc but parts are really cheap. Its been a god send really, without that i couldn't have my Z.

Fiesta 1.25 Zetec My mates got one and the engines been solid had a few probs with sticky door locks and elec windows tho. But his is a P reg lol. You could pick one of those up for about £1500-£2000 for a good one :)

P plate 2k?

Maybe £800 for a really good one!

I agree the 1,25 zetec is a cracker of an engine!

No no not for a P plate :lol:

The one I had (W reg Mk2) was good fun to drive and better built than 106's and saxo's, but it was not very reliable probably because I ragged the nuts off it where ever I went :lol:, but as the Great James May once said for small Italian cars " you have to rev it and rev it and rev it untill the pistons are dancing on the bonnet and then change gear"-or similar :p

I have a K reg Golf which does the job - take anywhere, park anywhere, leave anywhere! (though I often feel like having a sticker saying "My other car is a 350Z, honest" :lol: )

A mate just got a 1L Panda for the same reasons.... says he's loving the steep hills in it..... :lol:

I've had to get myself a cheap runabout too; I got a 2005 Vectra CTD SRi 150, I've had it a week now and so far it's been great. I'm only using it for commuting between Glasgow and Edinburgh but it's good to know that my fuel bills have now haved - Also makes me appreciate my Zed a bit more, commuting in it in heavy traffic really was a waste.

I must say a Vectra would not have been top of my wish list but my Dad was trading it in and he was offered peanuts for it so I took it off his hands and got an absolute bargain.

I'll echo the thoughts on German or Japanese, reliability should be better than Italian or french - having said that an Alfa 145/146/155/156 could be had for the money and will handle/sound great while it's working ;) You're nearly into high mile/iffy GTV's too.

I'd go for a Golf though - and get a GTi, just because you're only spending 500 notes doesn't mean you have to drive something that won't handle. Just don't get a MK3, they're pants unless it's a VR6 ;

He are some MKII's...

http://www.gumtree.com/london/70/33211970.html

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... egLetter=H

I highly recommend Audi coupe's too, I used to own one and they're bulletproof, the 20V engine's the one to have if you can find one. Handling's OK if not great as they're a bit heavy.

Hope that helps :thumbs: