How do you wash your microfibres?

Rentech

Hi All,

Well just finished washing, polishing and waxing the Zed for the first time with a micro fibre drying towel and polishing cloths. Wow, what a difference! Can not believe how much easier the drying is than using a chamois. The polish and wax removal is much easier as well.

So now I have loads of dirty microfibres, any advice on how to wash them? Searched the net and it seems there's lots of contradictory advice from washing cold to washing hot. Also what detergent, if any, do you use?

Cheers

Doh! Just realised the Wales meet is only a few weeks away, will have to do it all again closer to the date :doh:

I wondered why all my clothes bead when it rains!

I wash mine with detergent and no softener like the others. Then I leave them to dry naturally. Works for me!

Don't wash your drying cloths though. I leave my Poorboys waffle weave in a sealed bag (freezer bag) damp and it works spot on!

I only ever leave mine in the sink with boiling water and some fairy liquid. I dont want to put them through the washing machine with all the car wax they have on them.

I'm same as the boys, put them through the washing machine just with normal fabric wash, but not conditioner etc, naturally air dry on the washing line. I find the normal washing powder breaks down the wax just fine and they come out nice and clean just the same as clothes that are often mucky after waxing the cars.

Don't wash your drying cloths though. I leave my Poorboys waffle weave in a sealed bag (freezer bag) damp and it works spot on!

I thought about that, but would that breed fungus or germs or the like inside the bag as it can't dry 100%?

as said but then every say fourth wash put them through on a hot wash , comes out good as new all the odd black window rubber marks gone

Probably ok in the UK, not sure in NZ given in the summer as it's hot and excessively humid.

Always very interested to hear what other little tricks people have. ;):)

I dont use anything on the wash stuff as it has shampoo on on the cloths already so just put them through on 40 degree wash...

Dont put washing powder on as it dosnt always disolve fully and then you get bits that will scratch your car..

Dont use conditioner as it stops the water collecting in the cloth, as it leaves a "waxy" type residue, woman at House of Fraser told me that one when I was buying my bath towels!

Dont put anything with polish or wax on in the machine or your machine will stink for ages as will all your clothes!! Found this out last weekend!! I now put the polish / wax cloths in a sealable bag and then attach them to the bottle / tub with an elastic band... Or write the name of the wax / polish on the outside of the bag...

Just bought some AutoGlym HD wax at the AutoTuner show at Brands Hatch and used it for the 1st time on Friday, great stuff, comes with 2 application pads that are already damp in a sealed bag, and a microfibre polishing cloth, goes on real nice after polishing... One coat so far, wont be long till I got about 10 coats on am sure... Washed it twice, polished with autoglym polish, waxed with HD then finished with Megs quick detailer, looks v nice ;)

water temp not outside lol , we dont get summers here any more lol :lol:;)

Lol, we do 30-40 degrees in the height of summer and it'll be 97% + humidity, so anything damp goes mouldy.

Dont put anything with polish or wax on in the machine or your machine will stink for ages as will all your clothes!! Found this out last weekend!!

I've not had that problem with the Turbo Wax products, they go in the machine same as other stuff, but I admit I do use a sensitive skin washing powder that breaks down instantly.

I now put the polish / wax cloths in a sealable bag and then attach them to the bottle / tub with an elastic band... Or write the name of the wax / polish on the outside of the bag...

McGyver. ;):p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...