Help Please £6000 cheapest insurance!

IanS16

the problem is it's not just your age, length of licence, or mods on the car - its all of them! You're really going to struggle to be fair. As mentioned before try Keith Michaels - they will do the leg work for you to find the best deal but I still think it will be horrendous. Sorry.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very tough one indeed. Something that you may want to look into is a policy that insures you on another car....although only third party.

For example I think Cooperative insurance....may be called CIS...offer fully comp insurance with 3rd party cover on any other car. What is unusual about this is that they do it for the under 25's. When I was 18 I insured with them and it let me drive other cars, but only third party.

So how can this help you....if you bought a banger for £100, you could insure yourself fully comp on it for next to nothing [hopefully, perhaps anual mileage of 1,000]. If you had a policy like the above you could still drive the Zed third party and be accumulating your own NCD at far less cost than £6k pa.

Difficulty is that the Zed still needs its own policy - so perhaps you could get one of your parents to be the policy holder...guess they will have ncd and more years driving expereince and are technically less of a risk as they are older, so premium should be more reasonable.

If you went this route I am sure even the cost of running a near scrap car [tax, insurance, MOT etc] and parental Zed insurance would be way less than £6,000. But you need to be comfortable only driving the Zed 3rd party.

Good luck hunting, young driver insurance is nightmare!

if he does that he can't be the owner of the Z as far as I'm aware so someone else would have to put the car in their ownership and insure it. Driving it third party would be a bit risky? Also it's probaby a bit on the dodgy side fraud wise?

if he does that he can't be the owner of the Z as far as I'm aware so someone else would have to put the car in their ownership and insure it. Driving it third party would be a bit risky? Also it's probaby a bit on the dodgy side fraud wise?

+1

You can't own the car that you drive on the third party basis.

+1

Is this true? Surely an individual can fully comp insure a car regardless of who owns it? E.g. kids geting their own insurance on a parental owned car? In essence that is all this is...just the other way round?

This is a very tough one indeed. Something that you may want to look into is a policy that insures you on another car....although only third party.

For example I think Cooperative insurance....may be called CIS...offer fully comp insurance with 3rd party cover on any other car. What is unusual about this is that they do it for the under 25's. When I was 18 I insured with them and it let me drive other cars, but only third party.

So how can this help you....if you bought a banger for £100, you could insure yourself fully comp on it for next to nothing [hopefully, perhaps anual mileage of 1,000]. If you had a policy like the above you could still drive the Zed third party and be accumulating your own NCD at far less cost than £6k pa.

Difficulty is that the Zed still needs its own policy - so perhaps you could get one of your parents to be the policy holder...guess they will have ncd and more years driving expereince and are technically less of a risk as they are older, so premium should be more reasonable.

If you went this route I am sure even the cost of running a near scrap car [tax, insurance, MOT etc] and parental Zed insurance would be way less than £6,000. But you need to be comfortable only driving the Zed 3rd party.

Good luck hunting, young driver insurance is nightmare!

Sounds like a very good idea.. only problem is that even though i dont mind driving it third party, I DO mind it being uninsured should it be stolen or vandalised.

This is really proving to be a tough one!

+1

Is this true? Surely an individual can fully comp insure a car regardless of who owns it? E.g. kids geting their own insurance on a parental owned car? In essence that is all this is...just the other way round?

Say for example I have audi with fully comp insurance. This policy allows me to drive other cars third party. I buy a BMW as a second car. I cannot drive the BMW under the audi's third party cover as I own the BMW. I could borrow anyone elses car and drive it third party though. :)

yep precisely - it stops people doing exactly that, insuring an old banger while they drive around 3rd party in their super car. Also as mentioned before, the car MUST be insured in its own right by somebody as well.

I'm recently got insurance for my Zed, was shopping around and the best all the comparison sites could come up with was £1200. I'm 26 with 4 years ncb and 0 points ( :teeth: ). I was previous insured on my FTO with Bell Direct for £420 fully comp, when i phoned up to cancel with them they gave me a qoute over the phone and it was £438!! The compare websites had said bell was over £1300 but over the phone it was merely £18 more than i was paying. So it might be worth giving them a call?

However you are up against it with your ncb/age/license!

Good luck mate!

as long as the insurance don't find out you're actually the main driver.....

Exactly.

Wouldn't take much to prove either from mileage since purchase or between services etc.

How does the mileage prove who's done that mileage?

I really don't see why you're trying to get around the system with all the risks that it involves. You knew the status of the car when you bought it, you knew you would be classed as an inexperienced & young driver, and you knew that you got lucky by having your boss insure via his company for you. You took a huge risk on that knowing that the insurance costs would be sky-high and that's the only reason you could afford the car in the first place: Now your luck has run out, why not just suck it up and pay for insurance legally and properly like everyone else has to?

There's being able to afford a car, and being able to afford a car. I could afford to buy a 355, but no way I'd be able to afford the running costs so I don't own one, simple maths. Sorry to be getting at you here, but I know how I'd feel if someone drove into me with invalid insurance and I wouldn't exactly be a happy bunny, put it that way.

I really don't see why you're trying to get around the system with all the risks that it involves. You knew the status of the car when you bought it, you knew you would be classed as an inexperienced & young driver, and you knew that you got lucky by having your boss insure via his company for you. You took a huge risk on that knowing that the insurance costs would be sky-high and that's the only reason you could afford the car in the first place: Now your luck has run out, why not just suck it up and pay for insurance legally and properly like everyone else has to?

There's being able to afford a car, and being able to afford a car. I could afford to buy a 355, but no way I'd be able to afford the running costs so I don't own one, simple maths. Sorry to be getting at you here, but I know how I'd feel if someone drove into me with invalid insurance and I wouldn't exactly be a happy bunny, put it that way.

If he takes out a policy and drives into you, his insurers may not indemnify him but they are legally obliged to pay you. You would be an ambivalent bunny. ;)