Remap for better MPG?

relentless

Just toying with the idea of getting an ECU remap for better MPG....Anyone know if this is possible and what kind of gains could be expected?! Its a 2002 JDM.

cheers

Only bit of advice i can give you is stop looking at the mpgs as it depresses you! Just enjoy the car and have fun in it! As mike said its not the type of car that gets good economy :teeth:

Probably shouldnt of bought a 3.5lt V6 if you wanted economy! lol

I'd imagine the factory had it setup for best economy @ the power level it is! so i would say you would loose power if you could map it for better effiency which is kind of the opposite to what should happen when you get a car mapped!

Its more eco than my Rex was.

But then, if I wanted economy I woulda bought a flipping Lupo diesel.

None of us mean to be sarky when we say this - but you have a sports car, and sports cars are not economical.

And as Lewis says, the car will be mapped for the best fuel/air mix ration to get best economy vs performance form the car.

• 3 weeks later...
Its more eco than my Rex was.

But then, if I wanted economy I woulda bought a flipping Lupo diesel.

None of us mean to be sarky when we say this - but you have a sports car, and sports cars are not economical.

And as Lewis says, the car will be mapped for the best fuel/air mix ration to get best economy vs performance form the car.

I'm not sure that's strictly true.....I have a Skoda VRS which as standard had 130bhp and averaged 51mpg. I had it chipped to 170bhp and now it averages 56mpg. Not Zed related.....just saying!

I'm after a Zed at the minute; it's going to be so hard to go from 56mpg to 20. But I'm sure it'll be worth it!

Probably shouldnt of bought a 3.5lt V6 if you wanted economy! lol

Got to say i disagree, should it be unreasonable to want an awesome car but also want to save a bit of money when running it?

See Jay's thread here - i can save money when driving but i've got the power when i need it!

If you want economy and power buy a quick diesel car. The Zed is ok if you drive it sensibly as Marzmans comments in the thread will confirm.

I'm sorry but :rant:

V6 3.5l :rant:

276 bhp+ :rant:

And people want economy :scare:

WRONG car :surrender:

The zed is a great car but its fooking heavy and it drinks fuel................. :blush:

I agree that you will never get 40 mpg in the Zed but 22 is achievable on a very varied cycle without driving liker a complete gay.

I personally think that is fine for this car.

As stated if you want big MPG numbers then buy a diesel.

I agree that you will never get 40 mpg in the Zed but 22 is achievable on a very varied cycle without driving liker a complete gay.

I have stretched it to 30mpg on a run down to Wales late at night when the roads have been empty and still kept up a fair pace. B)

I get around 28-30 consistently. True most of that is motorway, but shows that if you dont drive it like you stole it all the time it will return pretty good figures.

And VAG engines are weird and wonderful beasts. I heard of Leon Cupras being remapped to much higher power and also reported better MPG. The assumption was always that as the toque was available lower down, you didnt have to rev as much which meant better fuel consumption. Not the way it works with most cars, but VAG maps consistenly showed better MPG :wacko:

agreed with the vag thing... personally ive had a fabia vrs which was remapped and if driven like pre remap then it would get about 60 mpg....my astra vxr which was sitting at 300bhp at the wheels... if driven normally was returning 37 mpg instead of 31... in my eyes your mpg should always go up if the car is drove normally after a remap as the engine is under less load to do the same job... obviously if you hoof it around after a remap then your mpg will be worse than before

just my personal opinion

-ho

I have stretched it to 30mpg on a run down to Wales late at night when the roads have been empty and still kept up a fair pace. B)

I get around 30 on the motorway. I do a lot of mixed driving, town posing, spirited back roads mixed with a wee bit of dual carriageway and I get about 22 mpg. I honestly think that is pretty damn good for a sporty car

My mate had a CTR and said he only got 24MPG doing the same driving as me. And thats a 2l! I think we do damn good to get what we do from it. My Leon FR used to get a max of 35MPG on long stretches (1.8T) where the Zed manages 30MPG. For near as damn it twice the displacement that aint bad!

I think just to say "Oh you want fuel econnomy don't drive a Z" is a stupid comment

I would much rather be able to own a Z knowing if I drive sensibly most of the time and get a decent MPG out of it and I can then odd blast here or there when I want than just have to say OK I'll get a Diesel.

Also the amount of miles people do changes - you might buy a car planning to do less miles then find you need to do more and would understandably want to try everything you can to keep the car than go for a lesser one.

That said I think the Z is fairly good for a high performance car. I get 22MPG average which is not bad considering its a 10 minute drive to work. As soon as I do trips on the motorway its up to 30 mark.

Its suprising how many other cars are less efficient and not really any better (RX8) or much slower but not really that much more efficient only 2/3MPG.

I cant complain about my MPG i work about 30mins away from home & its all dual carriage ways so i average about 26-27mpg for a week! & then about 5 on the weekend lol!

stick it in 6th gear set the cruise control for 70ish & hope i dont meet any traffic on the roundabouts & i never have to brake lol!

I used to get 24mpg average from my audi (2.0 T) so moving to the zed made no difference really (other than grin factor)

:scare: I thought they'd easily do over 30MPG. I was thinking it was down to driving style til you said the Zed does the same. Thats shocking from a 2.0T. My mates Evo gets about 20MPG and that chucks fuel out the back, very literally from the smell! :lol:

I get 18-20 in london....motorway driving would stretch it up to 28-30....its not too bad...except when u drive in town too much and watch the fuel gauge drop....

but then again the take off from the traffic lights...thats the reward!!

I used to get 24mpg average from my audi (2.0 T) so moving to the zed made no difference really (other than grin factor)

:scare: I thought they'd easily do over 30MPG. I was thinking it was down to driving style til you said the Zed does the same. Thats shocking from a 2.0T. My mates Evo gets about 20MPG and that chucks fuel out the back, very literally from the smell! :lol:

around town the audi was awful, tho fun to drive (to a degree) and v quick throttle response, i had the flappy paddle semi-auto box (dsg??) and loved it, but its the same old case of putting a too higher powered engine in a chassis built for a soot chucker...

It was easier to get 36-38 out of the Audi on motorway cruises than the zed (my highest is 35mpg on way to sunderland to save myself some money before seeing the bill :scare: )

In contrast i had a 2.0TDI (140bhp) A3 before the petrol and got 60mpg out of that constantly from almost new.

I think just to say "Oh you want fuel econnomy don't drive a Z" is a stupid comment

I would much rather be able to own a Z knowing if I drive sensibly most of the time and get a decent MPG out of it and I can then odd blast here or there when I want than just have to say OK I'll get a Diesel.

Also the amount of miles people do changes - you might buy a car planning to do less miles then find you need to do more and would understandably want to try everything you can to keep the car than go for a lesser one.

That said I think the Z is fairly good for a high performance car. I get 22MPG average which is not bad considering its a 10 minute drive to work. As soon as I do trips on the motorway its up to 30 mark.

Its suprising how many other cars are less efficient and not really any better (RX8) or much slower but not really that much more efficient only 2/3MPG.

Couldn't agree more.

Its surprising how many other cars are less efficient and not really any better (RX8) or much slower but not really that much more efficient only 2/3MPG.

Its actually surprising from a quick look in the back of TG mag that pretty much all competitors have better MPG than the Zed - some markedly so like the Z4 3.0 Coupe.

Also odd how you would dismiss an extra 2-3 mpg so readily when you are defending those who adapt there driving style to probably gain little more.

The Zed is a fat car with a big, not overly efficient engine. It will never be an economical car even amongst its peers and once I start coasting I'll know I really can't afford to keep it.