Xbox 360 Elite or PS3??

Beavis

Every year when it is summer holiday time, Ryan my son gets a treat if is summer school report is a good one. For many years we have done our gaming on high end pc's but Ryan would now like a game console. He already as the Wii but he is now pushing for one of the above.

Ideally i want to see HD gaming on a 42" plasma and also would ideally want wireless internet connection with the console. Which would you go for and why? :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i'd go with xbox 360 (as i did) because of the game library. The ps3 is more powerful which will probably show near the end of its life but as of now has nowhere near the amount of (in my opinion good) games.

Only drawback on the 360 is it does not have wireless internet from the box, but the amount you save on the console would probably make up for the £60(??) adapter.

Also i'd say more people have the 360 so his mates will be able to trade games and he can take his controllers round his mates houses!

All my opinion by the way!

I have a Wii, xbox and a PS3 :blush:

The wii is great a social gaming machine, but dead boring on your own.

The PS3 is top notch technology and comes with a blueray disc drive which would look awesome on a 42" HDTV. The things I hate about the PS3 are the crap games and the flimsy controller. The only (half) decent games imo are GTA4, GT Prologue and my current favourite is metal Gear Solid 4 which is awesome. i only have my PS3 just incase something decent and excusive comes out on it.

The Xbox is a quality machine. They can be picked up for a bargain now and the controller is quality imo. Also there is a massive catologue of great games available and more importantly there is a massive xbox online community which is a humongous part of gaming today.

Someone mentioned that, what his friends have is important, that imo can't be understated. No point your kid having an all singing all dancing PS3 if all his friends have Xbox's, you don't want him to get bullied do you? :lol: When your a kid, no one likes a show off, its all about fitting in :thumbs:

Thats fair enough, but its just got a bigger HD drive and a HDMI cable, both which could be bought separately.

Not saying it isn't a bargain or not the one to get just that the parts that make it the 'elite' edition can also be added individually :thumbs:

Do you know what his friends have? :)

my current favourite is metal Gear Solid 4 which is awesome.

i went out and bought a ps3 with MGS4 on the day of realese....amazing game....bit like watching lord of the rings trilogy between gameplay though

Paul (the snake eater) hulk

i went out and bought a ps3 with MGS4 on the day of realese....amazing game....bit like watching lord of the rings trilogy between gameplay though

love metal gear B) bought them all on the day of release, :lol: i played the first one 18 hrs straight :wacko: i actually had blisters on my hands off the controllers

got an xbox, ps2 and ps3

like quake3 and unreal tournament :thumbs:

I love it but the cine scenes are sooo long that it bores me and I've had every single game..... :blush:

Thats fair enough, but its just got a bigger HD drive and a HDMI cable, both which could be bought separately.

Not saying it isn't a bargain or not the one to get just that the parts that make it the 'elite' edition can also be added individually :thumbs:

The standard 360 doesnt have HDMI output, so you cant buy an HDMI cable for it... you must buy an elite to get HDMI.

Defo get the 360 though... i've only got 1 mate with a ps3,a and everyone else i know with a console has a 360. Call of Duty 4 is the greatest game ever (part from goldeneye).

The standard 360 doesnt have HDMI output, so you cant buy an HDMI cable for it... you must buy an elite to get HDMI.

Defo get the 360 though... i've only got 1 mate with a ps3,a and everyone else i know with a console has a 360. Call of Duty 4 is the greatest game ever (part from goldeneye).

cod4 was way too short imo , i was well disappointed after the hype :surrender:

I have a 360 and wii (and a couple of PS2s that I don't use) and must say that when I play the 360 I enjoy. I don't play often though, not really into gaming but it kills an hour now and then.

A couple of mates have the PS3 and it's decent but no games, the main reson I'd buy one is the blu ray player to be honest.

Id say Xbox! I was toying with the idea but managed to get one from Microsoft as a freebie with a few games and instantly loved it. Im not a big gaming person but this actually swayed me.

As above, there are alot more games for the xbox and also the online community is so much better.

I also think that you can change the DVD reader to take blueray as the xbox - apparently - is not configured to just take HD DVD's but both, its the encoder that decides what format it shows. Im sure thats what the Microsoft bods said anyway.

All 360's have HDMI out now, as well as composite and HD (ish) composite. I wouldnt bother spending the extra on the elite, especially since you can buy a facia if you want it to be black

Thanks for all the comments guys, looking like a 360 then. So i am right in thinking that they all have the hmdi connection and will do 1080p on my plasma? And do all the games show in hd? :)

Thanks for all the comments guys, looking like a 360 then. So i am right in thinking that they all have the hmdi connection and will do 1080p on my plasma? And do all the games show in hd? :)

Yes

Yes

Games state on the back of box if it runs in 720p/1080i/1080p

You can use component video leads to get it in 1080p if you want to keep a HDMI slot free on your telly.

Are you running it to an amp for Dolby Digital out? Theres a cheap and quick way of doing this instead of buying the official leads...

EDIT ... oh and XBOX LIVE is a must. FIFA 08 is addictive

thought that all xbox360's made this year now have a hdmi port as standard :wacko:

Its all down to personal preference really but i'll stand up for the PS3 in this occasion :teeth:

- More advanced than 360 technology wise

- Blu Ray player thrown in for good measure (if you're keen on getting it set up with your 42" screen and HDMI then you might as well be enjoying Blu Ray movies too!)

- Future proofed with HDMI V1.3

- Dolby 5.1 & DTS

- Wireless out the box (or wired if you prefer)

- Can be set up to access your PC or laptop wirelessly and use them as a media server enabling you to access your MP3 library or photo library etc.

- Free online gaming (as opposed to 360's subscription based service)

- Card reader slots for Compact Flash, SD Cards, and Memory Stick (maybe just 60gb version?)

- Bluetooth

- Decent browser to allow easy access to the internet

I'm not to sure where all these good 360 titles are though that people bang on about, the 360 has been about for approx 18 months longer than the PS3 and i wouldnt say it has 'tons of good titles' - the only good 360 titles that i can think of that are specific to the xbox are Halo, Gears of War and Project Gotham. And on the flip side the PS3 has titles like Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo, etc. These days most games are available for multi formats anyway e.g. Call of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto etc.

Like i say its all down to personal preference - at the end of the day they are both good consoles and i'm sure your son will be happy with either.

thought that all xbox360's made this year now have a hdmi port as standard :wacko:

Yes, all new ones do as of xmas '07, including the Arcade. Only the Elite comes with the HDMI cable though.

Also, now that HD DVD is virtually dead in the water, you can guarantee MS will be bringing out a Blue-ray drive for the 360.