Matt8v 350z GT4 saved from the brink!

Matt8v

I think I've now encountered my first frustration with the 350z.  Getting it through the mot, it is having troubles with emissions. Firstly a cam position sensor was changed. Then the spark plugs were found to be toast and changed over for new. Now it's being reported that a coil pack (or more) are knackered but the garage need to find out which ones are toast.

I still can't wait to get it back! 

I'd replace all 6 coilpacks if it was me, that's what I did on mine when it started mucking around. It ran like an absolute dream afterwards, better then it ever had done

Euro car parts do an OEM equivalent pack that I kid you not was identical to nissans, even down to the mould lines on the casing. At a fraction of the overall cost... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Olly350z said:

I'd replace all 6 coilpacks if it was me, that's what I did on mine when it started mucking around. It ran like an absolute dream afterwards, better then it ever had done

Euro car parts do an OEM equivalent pack that I kid you not was identical to nissans, even down to the mould lines on the casing. At a fraction of the overall cost... 

Thanks so much Olly. I'll inform the garage to not spending time finding out which coilpack is faulty and use the time to change all of them.

I couldn't work out on Euro Car Parts website for the right one. Is there a different one for the rear or something? If you have a link for what you bought, that would be a massive help 😃 

On 27/09/2023 at 09:23, Hansburger said:

Maybe it's also a good thing to do the "Idle Air Volume Relearn" procedure to reset the ECU. It really worked well on my old Z. It drove better then ever and the emissions where also lower then before. MOT wasn't a problem anymore.

My garage guy has now carried out this operation and reports a smoother running lots better.  Trouble is that the car runs well, then throws a wobbly and the engine management light pops on again.

We have changed the 6x spark plugs, 6x coilpacks and now going to swap over the remaining cam position sensors.

Painful cost now but will be great service items to get out of the way for the long term.

Separately, I've managed to buy a great condition steering wheel. Mine is really worn on the top, this one just needs a minimal clean and good to go! 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2023 at 13:54, Matt8v said:

Found a place that does short legal number plates. The website says they are legal, we'll see hey! 

20230909_133120.jpg

If it's legal, which it looks to be, their name and postcode will be printed under the registration.

IMG_20230930_162450078.jpg

Edited by Loadmaster

On 24/07/2023 at 10:20, Matt8v said:

Hi guys, 

Thought I would document the life of owning my GT4. Just bought it a week ago from a salvage auction site, no viewings, just online bidding. Luckily I won and had it transported home. As you can imagine, there is a list as long as my arm of bits to tidy and sort.

I've been very lucky that the engine sounds as it should do. Not driven it yet as a front alloy has a crack in it. There's a replacement coming this week. 

A few photos of how I saw it to bid on!

Screenshot_20230711_222214_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20230711_222118_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20230711_222148_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20230710_112229_Brave.jpg

Hey Matt, what a great thread. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Hey Matt, what a great thread. Keep up the good work!

Hey, thanks so much buddy. Really appreciate your feedback. The thread is something for me to look back on but if it entertains along the way, that's an added bonus.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2023 at 19:56, Matt8v said:

My garage guy has now carried out this operation and reports a smoother running lots better.  Trouble is that the car runs well, then throws a wobbly and the engine management light pops on again.

We have changed the 6x spark plugs, 6x coilpacks and now going to swap over the remaining cam position sensors.

Painful cost now but will be great service items to get out of the way for the long term.

Separately, I've managed to buy a great condition steering wheel. Mine is really worn on the top, this one just needs a minimal clean and good to go! 

Hmm. Swapping the sensors is always a good plan. Ohh and use OEM sensor for the cam- and crankshaft sensors. Everything else won't work or only for a short periode of time.

And just a guess. Is everything alright with the timingchain? Does it make noise with the start?

No gasleaks? No gaskets blown? Intake or exhaust?

Which code does it have when the light is on?

8 hours ago, Hansburger said:

Hmm. Swapping the sensors is always a good plan. Ohh and use OEM sensor for the cam- and crankshaft sensors. Everything else won't work or only for a short periode of time.

And just a guess. Is everything alright with the timingchain? Does it make noise with the start?

No gasleaks? No gaskets blown? Intake or exhaust?

Which code does it have when the light is on?

The cam sensors haven't changed anything, so not those.

Thought about the timing chain but it isn't noisy or rattly on start. It doesn't look like any gasleaks. I've changed the intake back to the standard box. Exhaust manifold and cats remain the same but everything back is brand new.

Chatting with my mate, he wonders if the injectors could be dirty from age/ standing for a while. So he suggests cleaning the injectors, new fuel filter etc. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

I forgot to update earlier but my 350 is home now.

All happy that I have a new mot and a few jobs completed.

I now have a beautiful Fujitsubo stainless exhaust. Quiet at idle and round town, then nicely howls when giving it beans. No droning at all, a lovely bit of kit. The only way that I can describe the tips, is ridiculous! I love them. They are huge, I can lose my fist inside them! 😄 

Other works-

6x new sparkplugs

6x new coilpacks

1x new cam position sensor

6x injectors removed, cleaned & refitted

2x front lower suspension bushes

Driving is great, picks up really quickly and hoofs along quick for me. This is the fastest car I've had, so no real supercar speeds to refer to.

20231111_102951.jpg

20231111_102932.jpg

20231111_102956.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Not posted for a while.

Thought I'd share my silly wheel refurb with all you folks.  The GT4 alloys were looking very tired and scuffed from when I bought this one.

I could have gone for factory shadow silver but its not worth worrying about being a concourse winner. This is a bit of fun! Topped off with £6.49 Nismo stickers from ebay to break up the white.

Very Marmite, some don't like them. One said it was too PlayStation for them while my 13yr lad loves them! That's a win for me then!  

20240218_115703.jpg

20240218_115714.jpg

20240218_115649.jpg

20240218_120414.jpg

• Like 2

Enjoyed reading this thread, good effort!

If the smoke smell is still an issue, pick up one of those air con bomb things that you set off in the car and leave your blower on full blast for 20 mins... have worked a treat for me in smoker-owned cars.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=air+con+bomb&crid=1GOJ16DU63JFK&sprefix=air+con+bomb%2Caps%2C208&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, rabbitstew said:

Wheels look ace! I did white wheels on one of my cars once and they look great but are a mission to keep clean! Plenty of poor boys wheel sealant on them!!!

Yes I do need to protect them before too many miles are done.

10 hours ago, marzman said:

Enjoyed reading this thread, good effort!

If the smoke smell is still an issue, pick up one of those air con bomb things that you set off in the car and leave your blower on full blast for 20 mins... have worked a treat for me in smoker-owned cars.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=air+con+bomb&crid=1GOJ16DU63JFK&sprefix=air+con+bomb%2Caps%2C208&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Awesome, thanks for your feedback. I'll have a look at that link, the smell is very much less now but just got the odd whiff from time to time.