Got a stock exhaust on my DE - anything decent for around £500 as an upgrade?

Yorkshire_Zed

Even though i love the sound of the original stock exhaust on my DE,i always think its a bit 'muted' like listening to it through muffled headphones. I'd like to have a bit more 'growl' and throatyness to it,nothing too loud though. - but is there anything decent upgrade wise in the £500 bracket?

3 hours ago, Jack94 said:

I think you'll struggle to get a decent cat-back system for that, unless something second hand pops up. 

However cobra and scorpion offer half systems for around that price.

Can you tell me about half systems? Whats the pros and cons of them?

Invidia gemini is a great choice, I had one on mine, but well out of your price range as you say. 

Personally I wouldn't touch japspeed given their poor quality and fitment. 

A half system is just a catback minus the Y pipe. 

Best thing you can do around the £500 budget sound wise is a set of high flow cats or as others have said, have a browse for used systems. 

You'll struggle to find any new catbacks at that price point which aren't poor quality or terrible fitment. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Yorkshire_Zed said:

The japspeed one? What are they like sound wise?

Haven't got a clue mate,I have never owned the exhaust in question, you will need to up your budget for something decent, unless you go for a used system,good luck with your search 👍

Where abouts in Yorkshire are you? I can highly recommend Tony Banks in Leeds. I've had 2 systems made by them & both were excellent. Not sure what they can do for the Z but their workmanship is top notch.

On 14/04/2023 at 17:38, davey_83 said:

That Scorpion thing - does that just attach to your existing system? Whats the main reason people buy these - the sound?

That system will attach to the Y-piipe nearer the front of the car so is a half system.

Most 350z exhaust systems fail first at the flange connecting the back box/silencer to the mid pipe.

Mine failed when my car hit about 15 years of age.

As I had also scraped the flexi joints on the Y-pipe I decided to change that out too for a Scorpion y pipe.

SO SO wish I'd done it when I first got the Z way back in 2005 as it sounds so much better:lol:

The tailpipes look almost identical to OEM bar being a little bigger.......but that's a good thing ;)

IMG_20210918_172553.jpg

• Like 1