hicksi

The Leather Seat Restoration Thread - Whats the best kit/what I've tried so far.

Hey team, hope your all good.

So, to start, owned a Z for coming up to a year now. Can't stop spending money. LOVE this forum.

With the bodyshop pushing me back a 3rd time (we both agreed to this) I'm focusing over lockdown on the leather interior.

Car sporting original black steering wheel and seats. Its an orange Z, so I feel she deserves the Alezan interior.

Spent Friday installing a really good condition Alezan bottom steering wheel. I've got two Alezan seats on the way (thanks paisley freight). So now the fun begins, they will need a light to medium restoration.

So let's start with the black seats. As I got my first helping hand from this forum. I want to share some of that help back out.

I got the Z on 69k, black seats were in 'ok' condition. No tears, faded seam piping, cracked paneling and the perforated areas were 'opened up' and showing un dyed leather color.

Searching on this forum I came across HEADPHONES post using Angelus Leather Dye. It worked bloody wonders on the black seats, results were very impressive and GREAT value. Unfortunately the Alezan seats are going to need allot more work to be 'pleasing to the eye'.

Link to HEADPHONES post, and I've attached pictures of my 'repaired' black seats. Stupidly I didn't take any before pictures. Sorry team.

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/119925-leather-repair-paint-from-angelus-now-with-7-month-update/

SO, once these Alezan seats turn up. Ill be looking to purchase a restoration kit. I've scoured this forum (probably missed a definitive thread), spoken to a few suppliers. This is a basic list of what I believe needs to be done in order to restore these seats at home.

- clean/strip old dirt and grime and any protective wax layers etc off the old leather.

- key/sand badly worn areas and try to smooth the physical surface of the leather

-  use a primer/promoter on the leather ready for filler.

- use filler to smooth the surface, repair cracks and worn areas. 

- paint new dye (most likely color matched) onto seats 

- use sealant on the new paint and seats to increase longevity of the repair. 

Obviously to do all this, I'm going to need a good kit, and any and all advice I can get from you guys. So far I have found the following recommended products off this forum;

Scratch doctor 
http://www.thescratchdoctor.co.uk/leathe-repair/

Furniture clinic 
https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/leather-care-products/leather-repair/leather-repair-kit

Buffalo Leather Repair 
https://www.buffaloleather.co.uk/car-leather-repair-kits.htm/product228-buffalo-leather-colour-restoration-kit.htm

Glipstone
https://www.liquidleather.com/car-shop.html

From what I have seen/read personally I am leaning towards the buffalo kit. It is 80 quid. But its got everything. The stripper, primer, dye, air gun etc etc. 

I have spoken to them and they are ready and willing to match the color, just need to send them a physical sample.

So team, over to you for now.

What advice do you have on the process?

Any success stories with your own restoration?

What kits do you recommend?

Very keen on doing a picture documented thread on this when I get to it.

20201106_182815.jpg

received_379156876614073.jpeg

received_351191595971641.jpeg

Screenshot_20201107-223159_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20201107-223206_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 2

Looking forward to hearing and seeing your exploits with the alezan seats.

You've done a top job on the black seatsB).

I'm sure someone will post up regarding the dye and kit for alezan as I distinctly remember reading a couple of good alezan restoration threads this year.

Ah the man himself! Mate just want to say thanks for posting about the Angelus dye. Really sorted my black seats!

I've been hammering the search, but its not massively forthcoming in results.

This thread is a bang on write up.

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/81278-new-seats-sort-of/

Buffalo products are mentioned again. So deffo leaning towards them.

As my seats will be out the car. Thought its the best time to restore now. Avoid overspray etc.

I'm reasonably handy. Engines and exhausts etc I'm fine. Ill be taking my time and researching as much as possible. Hoping I'm not going to screw some 'good condition seats up with strip, filler etc...

It might be worth trying to get a hold of @Ricey of Revolve Automotive - he doesn’t come on here much anymore unfortunately but he has a lot of knowledge and experience at top quality leather repair, so worth a try.

Could try him on Instagram too; revolvedetailing 

+1 on Ricey:thumbs:

He even recommended Buffalo products for a DIY job so I think you're on the right path

Spot on lads. Thanks for the Ricey nudge. I've seen him mentioned in several threads. Ill go look him up on insta!

Just buzzing now to get these seats. Anyone know if there is 'spare leather' on the underside on the seats to cut off and send as a sample? Not really sure how I'm going to get a color match without sending a headrest lol.

In the mean time. I did come across these guys.

https://www.colourlock.com/colourlock-leather-repair-kit-with-leather-dye.html

I follow forensic detailing on YouTube, and these guys are always doing stuff together. Looks like a great kit, a little bit more expensive and no air gun. I've emailed them to see what products they recommend for the job.

I don't know about spare leather for a smple, but I'm pretty certain Ricey will be able to point you in the right direction to get a good colour match - he's definitely done Alezan seats himself before, and I highly suspect that Buffalo et al will have something that's the right colour already, albeit named something else most likely.

Evening all, happy Friday.

So the package from Furniture Clinic arrived. Took a week, not bad at all, and I had to send the headrest off for a color sample.

I've included some pictures of the seats before any work starts. They have been wiped down with a cloth before and taped up. Just in time for the weekend...

Massive shout out to Ricey, super helpful at a moments notice. I guess its now just wish me luck :lol:

Keep you updated along the way!

20201120_180443.jpg

20201120_180456.jpg

20201120_180506.jpg

Looking in quite good condition without any rips or bad scuffs.

A good foundation for cosmetic touch up:thumbs:

Looking forward to pics of their transformationB)

Evening all. I know i won't be able to get the full write up straight away. So I thought I'd share some progress.

Passenger seat has just had its final coat of finish (semi-matt). Will leave it a day or two, then spray over with the aerosol sealant. Onto the driver seat now. Wish me luck.

20201122_175057.jpg.722b618dfa5eec89f6a5d944482fc14d.jpg

• Like 4

Wow...... looking factory fresh.

They may have to make this a sticky for future alezan owners to benefit from:thumbs:

Excellent effort my man.

I charge 300 per seat for refacing so you've saved yourself a bundle. 

Looks like you've done a good job. Always wanted to do this but been put off by the thought of messing it up.

Cheers for the support guys! Very happy with the results so far, thank you again to all that helped with advice.

A little update, I'm half way through the drivers seat. Took aggggges to prep, but I've applied the first few coats of color. 

Hopefully get this seat finished over the weekend. Then I can focus on the write up!

Screenshot_20201127-022918_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201127-022944_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1