thoughts on new Golf R32 vs the Zed...

atchi123

I know I'll probably get a lot of 'the Zed will pish on it' posts but I am genuinely considering trading the Zed in 6-9 months for one of these. Basically because the missus refuses to drive the Zed and we need something more practical and comfortable for long journeys.

Is the R32 as quick, handle as well, drink more/less fuel? anyone had one to compare?

Lot of money compared to the GTi version which gets a better overall rating from a driver's viewpoint and is only marginally slower, if that's the way you have to go. :dry:

The latest R32 does look a bit clumsy IMO compared to the previous model. Also have to say that the fact the 4w drive is not permanent, unlike the scoobs for example, always leaves a sense of 'will it, won't it' when when pushing on in the damp - thats what I found with an Audi A3 4w I had a while back before having 2 scoobys.

You would save more money with the Seat 'GTi' version - both my sons have Seats and I have to say they do represent good value for money and are good drives. :thumbs:

The 4wd is one of the reasons I fancy it. Interesting you say the 4wd is not always on, i'd not read that. My mates got a Golf Gti and its a great drive, but it just doesn't have the pull-on that the zed has and when he had 4 of us in the car it seemed to struggle to get going! I'd reckon although the 0-60 between the R32 and Gti is similar, in the real world the R32 would kill it 30-70.

Z is quicker in a straight line - marginally. On the track, if it's got sharper corners the R32 wins hands down (eg Top Gear track) but on tracks with long corners the Zed wins hands down (eg Bedford Autodrome Evo Mag). The DSG gearbox is meant to be amazing as well, which speeds up the acceleration.

R32 is a bit more economical fuel wise :yawn:

The best thing about R32's is that they have a bullet proof engine that can be modded a lot easier than the Z, and they seem to be a tuners dream. IMO the main downside is that they don't look nearly as good as a Z. :thumbs:

You would save more money with the Seat 'GTi' version - both my sons have Seats and I have to say they do represent good value for money and are good drives. :thumbs:

But they do tend to rattle. I had a Leon FR and after only 20k miles it started to rattle. Dont know if VW are any better but the old ladies A4 has 80+k miles and no rattles yet, so much better built.

My bro in law has a mk5 r32 in blue, sounds awesome even with the oem exhaust it sounds like a peco back box

excellent build quality, nice torquey engine, he paid 23k and bought it as a stop gap, he's either getting an R8 or a 911 turbo

he likes the car but HATES the fact that everytime he goes out corsa's and saxo's want to race him, thats why i think its in a different class to the zed, most corsa's dont bother with the zed, just admire it

i've drove it quite a few times and its an excellent car but it doesnt turn heads like the zed B)