'Increase car taxes to help climate, advisers say' - BBC News

Rainin

Not sure if this has already been posted, but just saw this on BBC News.

My 350z already cost me £580 per year on road tax and I feel that is already too much. I struggle to see how this will help the environment. I thought to produce new eco-friendly cars, it uses more resources than my older car will do for the remainder of its lifetime. However, note sure about the facts on that. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53169600

There must be 101 more effective ways to deal with climate change.

Thoughts?

The usual simplistic, short term penny pinching BS. The majority of car owners do so as a necessity, rather than the pleasure of driving or ownership. If they had real, viable, cheaper, convenient alternatives they would take them up in a second, but we’ve not invested properly in public transport since we invented the train.

People swallow the rubbish about their being no money for investment in solutions but it’s an ideological choice not to invest, rather than a constraint. We were apparently potless before Covid, but then magicked money up to pay everyone’s wages at 80%.

It needs to at least be some carrot, not all stick. 

Surely just makes more sense to scrap road tax and add a penny extra to the price of fuel at the pump, the current road tax system makes zero sense in my eyes. Tax people on usage and actually pump that money back into the system. The opposite of what they did with the railways, more expensive than its ever been to get the train to work. 

They're forcing diesels off in London and all its done is let all us Northerners pick up a bargain diesel BMW. Probably be a nice export business if they continue down this ULEZ route. 

Though saying all this, I still haven't seen an eco-friendly initiative take off from the various tax pots (VED, ULEZ, Congestion etc). Problem gonna be when they do it could be like these "smart" motorways all over again :surrender:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formatzero said:

This is more about making money than solving pollution,those with money will still have any car they want.You can pay a lot of road tax for the price of a electric car !

To be fair, they're not pretending it's anything less than a money-making scheme.

They're just claiming that the money raised will be used to combat climate change. Whatever that means.

That tax will soon be transferred onto the most expensive Electric cars when the windfall starts reducing due to Electric upgrades.

Have an 8 week lockdown every year while offering £3000-£6000 in scrappage grants depending on age or emissions of scrap car. Greenhouse gases reduced. Climate change delayed. Bobs your brother

2 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

That tax will soon be transferred onto the most expensive Electric cars when the windfall starts reducing due to Electric upgrades.

Have an 8 week lockdown every year while offering £3000-£6000 in scrappage grants depending on age or emissions of scrap car. Greenhouse gases reduced. Climate change delayed. Bobs your brother

Fanny's your sister