Brexit again

Jetpilot

I think it's pretty simple actually, just these nutters in parliament don't seem to want to accept it.

Options are either hard Brexit with WTO tarrifs and borders, no Brexit because of national interest (another referendum is this same option), or GE if the current government thinks anything else will pass the vote which we know won't. 

Anything else is just wishful thinking.

7 hours ago, Ekona said:

Very wise words there Col. 

If we did have a GE now, whilst I’ve no doubt we’d see Corbyn at no10 there’s no chance it would be with a clear majority imho. They’d need the SNP at least for support, and more likely others as well to end up with some kind of uber-coalition. Can you just imagine the arguments amongst that particular rabble: It would be nothing short of utter chaos! 

Even if we assume that Corbyn tones down the nationalisation stuff, McDonnell realises money doesn’t grow on trees and Abbott finally learns to count past ten without taking her socks off, the sheer internal political arguments of a coalition with 2+ parties would ensure an even bigger failing of a Brexit. And that’s before we get to the daily business of, y’know, actually running a country. 

Stay in the EU it is then :thumbs::#1:   

The “rabble” that are the conservative coalition (far right, hard Brexit, soft Brexit, no Brexit, half baked Brexit), are doing a fine job of running feck all. 

Just remain, it’s a no brainer, the ‘jumpers for goalposts’ menagerie of clueless and feckless (feckless, as in the failed ‘negotiators’, clueless as in the ‘lets Get back to when we had an empire’ mob, I have heard many elderly (most of whom have not lived with ‘an empire’,) have had a whinge now, move on, they don’t cut the mustard really.

i realise that the above may cause offence, but not half as offended as I and, quite clearly, a majority now feel at the prospect of bungling our way to poverty, but it might be ok in 30 years, being sold to us now, trying to take the nation for mugs for the sake of a few politicians on their own agenda of power at any cost IMHO.

im no Corbyn fan, totally not the right person to lead the Westminster government, a laughingstock joke of a politician who scored an own goal the other day when the sitting Westminster government couldn’t win a vote, and he didn’t even mention it.

im angry for the Brexiteers btw, they’ve been sold a pup by some dodgy characters, that remind me of  a rogue bunch of agent provocateurs, in the worst possible sense, God help us!  I despair 

In a No Deal Brexit scenario, areas of concern include:

• Kent needing to cope with holding up to 10,000 HGVs on a routine basis
  • Food supplies at risk as safety testing becomes more difficult
  • Children missing important exams such as GCSEs and Sats because of traffic gridlock
  • KCC staff possibly having to work from home for up to six months
  • Carers unable to get to vulnerable adults because of traffic gridlock
  • Schools seeing attendance levels drop
  • Disruption to waste collection services leading to a build-up of rubbish
  • Home to school transport for Special Education Needs (SEN) could be severely challenged
  • Difficulties for the Coroners service transporting the deceased to post mortem or body storage facilities
  • Pressure on trading standards as more checks could take a longer time
  • An increase in the numbers of migrants arriving in Kent, including unaccompanied asylum-seeking children.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/chaos-of-no-deal-brexit-revealed-in-council-report-194877/

Controversial but relevant and serious question

What's all this bollox about lorry queues in Kent if we go 'no deal' ? We have other ports in UK don't you know (Immingham springs to mind) and excellent, less busy road networks north of Watford. We also have excellent facilities for cargo aircraft (see my location) ... what's to stop manufacturers spreading the import load and reduce the North/South divide in the process ?

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 2

From what i take in from the very little attention i give it:

Mays deal: no one is happy, country in chaos, impending zombie apocalypse. 

No deal: half of country unhappy, goes into chaos, impending zombie apocalypse. 

Re-vote: possible stay in EU, other half of country unhappy, chaos ensues, impending zombie apocalypse. 

General election: no one knows.... see previous

Its a good job i have seen 6/7 seasons of walking dead so whichever senario plays out me and “lucile” will be ready :starwars:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

Controversial but relevant and serious question

What's all this bollox about lorry queues in Kent if we go 'no deal' ? We have other ports in UK don't you know (Immingham springs to mind) and excellent, less busy road networks north of Watford. We also have excellent facilities for cargo aircraft (see my location) ... what's to stop manufacturers spreading the import load and reduce the North/South divide in the process ?

I read articles on this today, I think most do say something like 'Dover and other ports...' open up and read the BBC article for example. Dover is a good example though and cited by news articles as when there have been problems there in the last few years with the port we have actually seen lorries parking on motorways going back miles. In terms of other ports, I would imagine you could use them but the time taken to get lorries through would still be the same as Dover and the same problems arise in terms of queuing. Then you have to consider are there enough ferries running, infrastructure at the ports etc. if you re-route traffic that way - Dover takes around 60% of all ferry traffic, how would a port that takes around 5-10% deal with 15-20% extra coming their way? I think it would depend on the industries and companies in each case - I am sure they use the Dover route because its the best route for their business, their own costs and business model will be impacted if they change this - take fresh produce for example, what happens if the driver has to add 36 hours to their journey to go to a different port, how does the quality of the food get impacted? The extra cost paying drivers, extra fuel, longer time product on vehicle cost, the lost trips that vehicle could make due to increased time on each single trip etc. 

I am pretty sure if we go no deal we will see all sorts of ingenious ways to try and keep things going, I can imagine its all going to cost though, and that cost is only going to end up in one place and thats at the door of the customer. 

As far as I know, Immingham is ready to take vastly increased traffic and DSA already ships in fresh produce by air and has been vastly underused for this purpose since opening. Indeed a large Antonov is a regular visitor with heavy stuff and a freight 747 arrives with cut flowers from Egypt almost weekly. That, I'm sure could easily bring in fruit and vegetables as well, daily if necessary. Everything's in place, including distribution from the immediate area via underused motorways. Tesco and Ikea amongst others have local distribution facilities. Doncaster has been a transport hub since Roman times and could easily become a major player in the import/export of materials again. 

Edited by ATTAK Z

21 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

As far as I know, Immingham is ready to take vastly increased traffic and DSA already ships in fresh produce by air and has been vastly underused for this purpose since opening. Indeed a large Antonov is a regular visitor with heavy stuff and a freight 747 arrives with cut flowers from Egypt almost weekly. That, I'm sure could easily bring in fruit and vegetables as well, daily if necessary. Everything's in place, including distribution from the immediate area via underused motorways. Tesco and Ikea amongst others have local distribution facilities. Doncaster has been a transport hub since Roman times and could easily become a major player in the import/export of materials again. 

Could Immingham say increase by 1000% overnight? If so, I would imagine its making huge losses right now in used capacity. What about food produce, that comes from thousands of different sites all over Europe, how do you get it onto planes? I presume they are not lying idle around just waiting to go. Around 10,000 lorries pass through dover each day, are there enough planes? Is there enough airspace? Do planes have freezer and refrigeration containers? Tesco and other supermarkets do not have the distribution facilities (I work for one of the big four) people might think, more worryingly is that they do not have the storage as most supermarkets operate on a just in time business model. I would imagine if it were indeed cheaper, better, to fly stuff or use other ports then companies would do that, so you have to ask the question, why aren't they?

Edit: Just looked at the routes, and Immingham is a much greater distance on water 15 hours vs 1.5 for Dover. I would imagine the costs as outlined above in terms of time on vehicle, driver, increasing return journey time by the vehicle by around 2 days all would have significant financial impact on a business operating model. When you consider most supermarkets run at between 2%-4% gross margin any costs have to be minimised, suppliers arent going to suck up any extra cost and supermarkets will pass it on.

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

Like I said up top mate, I think if it becomes no deal we will see companies frantically trying to figure it out (supermarkets have just spent a fortune buying up 6 months of storage over the last few days, expect your pint of milk in Tesco to increase in price shortly ;)) and we will see some change in the ways things work, it might cost more, which will be passed on to us. If the government continue to self destruct and end at no deal then they have to be in some way accountable for helping directly affected business get through next March be it in tax breaks or the like.

If German milk is cheaper than local milk in the UK that's an excellent reason to leave Europe and pay our local farmers a fair price for their produce. Being self sufficient for stuff we are able to produce ourselves is a good thing IMO.

I’ve never seen German milk in any of my local Asda, Tesco, Morrison’s, Co-Op, Aldi or lidl, WTF are you on about.

Switzerland survives and thrives because it’s convenient and, there has to be an alternative to where criminals can hide and launder their money, other than London.

hope that clarifies?

• Like 1

Sorry G Man your comments add nothing to the argument; for instance ... 

Top 10 UK Yogurt Brands - Müller dominates, Danone dwindles
  • #1 Müller.
  • #2 Activia.
  • #3 Müller Crunch Corner.
  • #4 Actimel.
  • #5 Yeo Valley.
  • #6 Onken.
  • #7 Weight Watchers.
  • #8 Cadbury (Müller)

Which of the above are manufactured in the UK by a UK company ?

Edited by ATTAK Z