Getting my first car soon and need help!

Bradleyzed1

Hello :)

I'm new to this community so I'm sorry if making this a 'new topic' isn't right. 

I'm going to be driving very soon and would like some help. Iv'e been looking around for a nice first car and i came across the 350z as I've seen that buying one pre-owned is about £5000 to £10,000 and this is a great price for me. but as i know this is a sports car I'm worried about the insurance due to being a young driver. i don't intend to race the car around, i just fell in love with the look and sound, i also like the idea of rocking up to collage in it haha. but if anyone could help me out with the insurance prices and whether the car is worth buying it would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you :)

Your best bet is to take the registration number of a 350 for sale that you like and put it into a comparison website it should give you a vague idea of prices. A lot will affect it, the type of car, age, no claims, area you live in, how the car is stored. I would say its probably not going to be super cheap if you have just passed but you should find somewhere that will insure you. Just be careful if you do get black box insurance as im sure the 350 would be able to set that thing off constantly. Elephant car insurance have been the cheapest for me so far but I do get a couple of loyalty discounts, but i would give them a check.

TBH it's not really suitable as a "first car" - it's more something you aspire to when you get some experience - there are some younger drivers on here and I'll let them confirm or otherwise

Good luck in your search :) and :welcome:

• Like 1

350 is actually on the cheaper end of insurance for some reason (£2k under 20 and sub £1k over 20 are not uncommon quotes. but it massively depends on area).

As for black box insurance, it depends on the provider, but let's just say that they are usually nothing to be scared of:

-Drive like an angel and get a bronze score because you drove during peak hours or for a long duration

-Do a bunch of 0-100-0 runs, tickle the top speed, and get a gold score due to performing well in other criteria

I think majority of people on here will tell you that all the zeds are great cars ;)

As long as you get a well looked after, clean example, you will love it!

I'm 20 and had my zed since 18, I got lucky with insurance as none of my friends can get quotes anywhere near the price I paid! My zed spent 6 months under a cover before my insurance dropped low enough for me to warrant going for it :lol:

Get some registrations from eBay etc and try comparison sites, I spent hours doing this, but so glad I did :)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my 350z aged 19 with 2 years no claims, got insurance for £950 though elephant via compare the market. On reflection I could have got it even cheaper if I’d tried playing insurance companies off against each other (did that this year and got my premium down nearly £500).

• 3 months later...
On 14/05/2018 at 20:54, reeceybeaney said:

I think majority of people on here will tell you that all the zeds are great cars ;)

As long as you get a well looked after, clean example, you will love it!

I'm 20 and had my zed since 18, I got lucky with insurance as none of my friends can get quotes anywhere near the price I paid! My zed spent 6 months under a cover before my insurance dropped low enough for me to warrant going for it :lol:

Get some registrations from eBay etc and try comparison sites, I spent hours doing this, but so glad I did :)

pays off when you try something different. maybe they all wanted to drive the usual

Just bare in mind and i no way wish to sound condescending, you may have the budget to buy, but do you have have the budget to upkeep, clutch £800, brakes £400, tyres £400+, ved £250 or more pending on model, least of all 20-25mpg as examples of costs you might have to spend for consumables, so worst case scenario thats £2k give or take in possibly the first year of ownership without factoring in insurance and possible mechanical failures (i only mention this as you say your at college).

All that said a great car and if you buy the right one all the costs above should be covered, but still worth considering what it may or will cost to maintain over a few years.

On 14/05/2018 at 18:57, ATTAK Z said:

TBH it's not really suitable as a "first car" - it's more something you aspire to when you get some experience - there are some younger drivers on here and I'll let them confirm or otherwise

Good luck in your search :) and :welcome:

I had an S14a, running 300 RWHP and a welded diff at 19 as my first RWD car. 350z's are extremely tame in comparison. As long as you don't try and be DK in the first few months you'll be fine. RWD is a learning experience at grip limit though.

Hope you realise your dream BUT please don't take this the wrong way but there is a lot of power and its rear wheel drive so probably unlike anything you have driven up to now. Drive it with respect else it will bite you.

On 11/09/2018 at 17:59, Jetpilot said:

you might have to spend for consumables, so worst case scenario thats £2k give or take in possibly the first year of ownership without factoring in insurance and possible mechanical failures (i only mention this as you say your at college).

All that said a great car and if you buy the right one all the costs above should be covered, but still worth considering what it may or will cost to maintain over a few years.

£2500 it cost me over 18 months

rocker cover both sides

pads + discs

p2 service really needed timing chain + diff which i skipped

banana arms

starter motor

drop links

insurance

accident repair £400 rear quarter

i got away with not changing tires or banana arms again

clutch needed doing.....

gearbox linkage was dodgy....driving around town center cant get into second, cures itself after few minutes

God knows what would have needed doing next :lol:traded for nismo 370z thats gone now tho

Edited by GranTurismoEra

5 hours ago, Beefy said:

I had an S14a, running 300 RWHP and a welded diff at 19 as my first RWD car. 350z's are extremely tame in comparison. As long as you don't try and be DK in the first few months you'll be fine. RWD is a learning experience at grip limit though.

haha what grip, i saw final destination 2 times driving at normal speeds...op get the stickiest tires you can for the wet.....cant scrimp on those. the back kicks out like mad...

Edited by GranTurismoEra

20 hours ago, Payco said:

Hope you realise your dream BUT please don't take this the wrong way but there is a lot of power and its rear wheel drive so probably unlike anything you have driven up to now. Drive it with respect else it will bite you.

Z's don't have a lot of power hahaha

Just seen you are in Brighton so close by to me. Shout if I can ever assist. Plenty have purchased zs and wrapped them around trees or lost the back end on corners/roundabouts soon after getting them. Drive careful with the tractIon control ON until you know how the car performs and reacts. 

26 minutes ago, Payco said:

Plenty have purchased zs and wrapped them around trees or lost the back end on corners/roundabouts soon after getting them. Drive careful with the tractIon control ON until you know how the car performs and reacts. 

Personally thats just rwd, nothing to do with power, you could do the same in a Mx5 if you are completely ham footed.