Footwell Lighting - Rice or Nice?

Chris`I

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... d&doy=28m3

I have a couple of green cold cathodes from my Volvo install if you're interested Paul. :)

are these another type of light or are you pulling my chain :lol:

:lol: No, not pulling your chain.

I had two green cold cathodes mounted behind my amp build. They give a soft glow, but are tube like so give a nice look.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?cri ... ce=15&SD=Y

Cathods give a nice glow, I tried some before these. And LED tubes, but I broke them all trying to install them hidden away under the dash so decided to get those flexible ones.

Give Robs a go Paul, cathodes give off a really nice glow, sure he will do you them dirt cheap :thumbs:

Cathods give a nice glow, I tried some before these. And LED tubes, but I broke them all trying to install them hidden away under the dash so decided to get those flexible ones.

Give Robs a go Paul, cathodes give off a really nice glow, sure he will do you them dirt cheap :thumbs:

They are with my ICE dealer at the mo but will bring them to the Donny show and you can take a look. I have no use for green cathodes so a dirt burger should cover them! ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Its all been discussed before, you will have to trawl the thread to find the specifics. Basically you chase the wires from the dome lights to the footwell. If you take the A-pilar cover off the passenger side, you will see a socket with 3 wires on it. I think red, black and pink. Red is permenant live, black is permenant ground and pink is switched ground which comes on when you open the doors etc. What you need to do is get a light (neon, cold cathode, LEDs as I linked before) and wire them up to the pink and black. Thats as much as I remember. I will take a look behind the pillar tomorrow, but a bit of multimeter action will tell you which is the right power source :thumbs:

Link to the lights: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Green-24CM-PVC- ... m153.l1262 (you'll need to browse his store to find an active auction)

to do the footwell lighting - If you take the A-pillar cover off the passenger side, you will see a socket with 3 wires on it connect the live to the red and black and the neg to the switched earth on the pink :thumbs:

the lights will work exactly as the interior lights do, on when unlocked via the remote and fade when locked

No you won't Chris but you should be feeling something warm and fuzy inside (It isn't Jay or Louis before anyone asks....)

Sharing does that! :teeth: Just need to LED up the rest of the car!

• 2 weeks later...

Did everyone do this in the end?

I am a numpty when it comes to electric (everything?):blush: so would welcome some more input.

1. Is there a specific way to remove the A pillar or is it a simple case of just pulling it off :blush:

2. I purchased the exact same lights from ebay and noticed that the wires are very thin and puney. Do I need to replace them or should they be fine?

3. Do I need to place an additional fuse in between the whole setup and if so, where can I get one and what should I be looking for? (told you I had NO idea about these things)

4. How do you guys connect the cables once you have snipped them?

5. Am I safe to just get a volt meter and follow these instructions "connect the live to the red and black and the neg to the switched earth on the pink"? Can I just snip them and reconnect?

If you have read this far you are probably thinking :headhurt:.... So am I!:teeth:

If you dont ask you dont get and I love asking :)

Wayne Numpty.

• 3 months later...
Did everyone do this in the end?

I am a numpty when it comes to electric (everything?):blush: so would welcome some more input.

1. Is there a specific way to remove the A pillar or is it a simple case of just pulling it off :blush:

2. I purchased the exact same lights from ebay and noticed that the wires are very thin and puney. Do I need to replace them or should they be fine?

3. Do I need to place an additional fuse in between the whole setup and if so, where can I get one and what should I be looking for? (told you I had NO idea about these things)

4. How do you guys connect the cables once you have snipped them?

5. Am I safe to just get a volt meter and follow these instructions "connect the live to the red and black and the neg to the switched earth on the pink"? Can I just snip them and reconnect?

If you have read this far you are probably thinking :headhurt:.... So am I!:teeth:

If you dont ask you dont get and I love asking :)

Wayne Numpty.

1. carefully pull

2. no leds draw next to no current

3. no

4. i used small connector blocks and wrapped in insulation tape

5. yes

i fitted blue leds in the footwell in mine :thumbs:

• 3 months later...
to do the footwell lighting - If you take the A-pillar cover off the passenger side, you will see a socket with 3 wires on it connect the live to the red and black and the neg to the switched earth on the pink :thumbs:

the lights will work exactly as the interior lights do, on when unlocked via the remote and fade when locked

Gawd I wish I had read this before I did the same job to my car 2 weeks ago. Ended up wiring it a different way but works the same as the standard interior lights. Used 2 LED light bars on each side which cost me something like £1 each from the local cash and carry. A bit of creative soldering and the job was done :)

Gawd I wish I had read this before I did the same job to my car 2 weeks ago. Ended up wiring it a different way but works the same as the standard interior lights. Used 2 LED light bars on each side which cost me something like £1 each from the local cash and carry. A bit of creative soldering and the job was done :)

Looks B) at night, i turn the interior light off and just leave footwells lit up, these light up when lock/unlock

good cheap mod imo :thumbs:

Does look very good. I think if you get just the right tint of light with similar vanity lights, it looks very classy.

Where did you end up wiring it from chap? Always interested on how others have done mods :thumbs:

Where did you end up wiring it from chap? Always interested on how others have done mods :thumbs:

I had previously wired in a LED bar into the roof of my car, taking a feed from the circuit of the lights already in the roof. So I just ran a feed off that down inside the A-pillar and across to the footwell LEDs. Not really difficult, but knowing there is already a pre-wired plug would have 1/2'ed the job time - :headhurt:

I had previously wired in a LED bar into the roof of my car, taking a feed from the circuit of the lights already in the roof. So I just ran a feed off that down inside the A-pillar and across to the footwell LEDs. Not really difficult, but knowing there is already a pre-wired plug would have 1/2'ed the job time - :headhurt:

Ah yes, I looked there too. Then found the wires leading off to the A-pillar, and after quite a bit of searching on my350z realised that there was access to the wire in the A-pillar. my350z is about the best resource I have found for mods, theres always someone on there whos done the mod you are thinking of doing, its just finding the info that takes ages :yawn: