Prevention > Cure. Steering Lock fix. Fuse removal.

ArsenalMoh

8 hours ago, pintopete58 said:

Zedmanalex has said in the past take cover off and keep tapping it eventually it will free it self

Ive tapped it as is. Bottom cover is still on. RAC never came had to leave the car. Going back this morning. Maybe i can ask him to try that with cover off. Also need divine intervention as theres no guarantee it will release on him removing cover and tapping it

Is it okay to order another used one for £86? Its a 000D part or 2011 automatic it was pulled from. Then get the mechanic to fit then remove the fuse. Someone said the fuse can be blown and reinserted after or a tape wrapped around it.

Also will I need to replace the BCM (body control module) as well? Or should i just try the replacement lock first? Maybe I can get a mobile mechanic or garage to fit this part.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

7 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

The revival of this thread has reminded me again to get shot of the fuse, despite mine being a late model. I wince every time I push the start button and hear the sound of the lock releasing! 

Only reason I didnt do this was talk of insurance and co not paying out. Then again if its stolen etc its gone. The blown fuse or tape wrapped solution is an option.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Which Bosch battery (model code) did you buy? Thanks.

S5 008 77AH.....a bit tight on the tray. wider than OEM. Some ppl on this forum bought it. It is a bit bigger and needs some wiggling. Its shorter than OEM so might need different fasteners.

Has to be   —  + to fit. Terminals facing the bumper. Negative on the Left and Positive on the Right. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Am I reading this wrong or misunderstanding this?

Mine's a 2017 and deffo has the steering lock!

If you look up where the pedals are that metal structure with the steering shaft going through it is the steering lock. Unlikely to fail on the later models. Ive got a spare if anyone needs to replace. Save a thousand pounds!

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

If you look up where the pedals are that metal structure with the steering shaft going through it is the steering lock. Unlikely to fail on the later models. Ive got a spare if anyone needs to replace. Save a thousand pounds!

Thanks - but what does the "not fitted from new" bit refer to?

I'm aware that the later models are "less likely to fail", but it's still a worry and the reason why I'll probably pull the fuse.

Not a 370z but had the Electronic steering lock fail on my merc, luckily it was on my drive, mercedes wanted 1k for parts alone I think it was let alone getting it recovered to a garage. In the end I managed to remove the steering column, remove the ESL and fit an ESL emulator for about £100, highly frustrating when it occurs as the car is next to useless when it fails, the merc couldn't even get out of park.

So if you can prevent this by removing a fuse I would highly recommend doing it as a priority

• Like 1

Lock failed on mine on 28th Dec, towed away to Nissan and still not fixed. 2012 GT, so not covered by voluntary recall/service. Also cited the fact I had only one service with Nissan as a reason for not undertaking replacement in courtesy/discount. I have only had the car one year and had my only service at Nissan. £950 the current going rate for steering lock part and fitting at Nissan for your information! Also based on posts elsewhere seems to be £2,200 for discs and pads all-round for anyone with money to burn.

Hope the original post helps people avoid the issue though!

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/01/2023 at 18:49, Blackstar said:

Lock failed on mine on 28th Dec, towed away to Nissan and still not fixed. 2012 GT, so not covered by voluntary recall/service. Also cited the fact I had only one service with Nissan as a reason for not undertaking replacement in courtesy/discount. I have only had the car one year and had my only service at Nissan. £950 the current going rate for steering lock part and fitting at Nissan for your information! Also based on posts elsewhere seems to be £2,200 for discs and pads all-round for anyone with money to burn.

Hope the original post helps people avoid the issue though!

Did you eventually get this fixed? Mine has just ha dthe key light and no longer starting, left stranded at the train station unfortunately! Car is a 2010 that was serviced with the same Nissan dealer for 5 years, hopefully they should have covered the recall and maybe have a chance at them fixing again (not holding out hope). 

1 minute ago, pintopete58 said:

We're is the car now .

I'm sure zedmanalex said remove ignition cover and keep tapping  ignition barrel with a hammer/ object I don't  know if you need the key in the ignition. 

Mines a 2010 ragtop I removed fuse on purchase .

Good luck 

Stuck in the middle of a train station car park, doesn't really lend itself well to working on the car but may give that a go. Will try a hail mary and jump start it when I get my hands on some leads since it worked for GTEra. Might need to get it towed back home to try a DIY fix.