MOT emissions fail - where to start?

Antony

Hi,

My daily driver 350z (my06) is failing to pass the MOT emission test and I'm not really sure where to start in getting it fixed. First place seems to be the O2 sensors as I've been getting engine warning light from both sides: 

bank1 Sensor1 - P2A00

bank2 Sensor2 - P0157

I had Cobra HFC fitted 18 months ago to replace originals as they had started blowing at 135k miles (now at 150k miles). It passed the last MOT just fine but soon after, 11 months ago, the engine warning light came on.

On a recent post here, I read that there is a vent/vapor pipe from the fuel tank back to the engine in-take and that can effect the emissions if split. That's very interesting to me as I've been getting petrol fumes coming in through wound-down windows on long drives that I've not been able to track down.

I'm based in Southampton and am really struggling to find a mechanic near here that actually knows about Zeds.

Any help would be gratefully taken at this point. Need my 350z just to work as it's my daily driver.

Thanks Antony 

They said they tried everything they could to try and get it to pass. They are my local small independent garage so no reason to think they wouldn't have done that. I've used them to do simple jobs for a while and to service my OH cars but I take it elsewhere for more complicated stuff like AC repairs as I don't get the impression they have skill for that sort of deep investigations

Well this might be a very sad day, talking to a dealer to PX my beloved Zebedee :-(

They've offered £2750 without the MOT or £500 more if I got a passing MOT first. Actually doesn't seem that bad to me for a 150k mile car.

Head is saying time to move on, heart is sobbing loudly.

Regrettably Antony

sad times :( I get a slight petrol smell at times, where are the details about this pipe?

I have berk hfcs and a constant warning light but always manage an MOT fine, the garage has experience though so it always gets a look at.

For £500 I probably wouldn't give up just yet, thats near 20% of the cars value. If its sensor 1 surely that needs changed and is throwing your fuel mapping off, sensor 2 I wouldn't worry about just yet

Edited by Cro

If it is just the sensor, that's £200 + fitting but I'm fairly sure I have other issues what with the petrol fumes and engine hesitations :-(

I've already dropped £2k on parts and getting the AC fix just in the last 6 months.

After 150k miles the handling is not what is should be, full bush set & shocks required I assume. Door seals are starting to go too.

At some point I have to cut my losses as much as I love the car. What makes it worse is that the only thing that comes even close is an f'ing BMW... I going to become one of those people, hangs head in shame.

Petrol smell could be the fuel pump seal. Seems a easy fix. I'm going to have a go at mine myself. 

I happen be a BMW fan who ended up with a 350z by accident. Nothing wrong with BMW. I'm considering getting rid of my daily and my Z for a F80 M3. 

I'm very much looking forward to collect F22 M240i tomorrow but my OH is very much a BMW(all German brands) hater. To be fair to her, I find when I'm driving her KA that it's always BMWs/Audis cutting me up.

Just hoping Nissan will bring out a new Z in the not too distant future.

£2750 ? It's worth more in parts...

Fix the niggles, MOT it and trade it towards another/something else. 

As for the new Z we need a 450Zs 4.5l v6 supercharged :) 

Balls to emissions and electric cars, i'll pay the tax...

Edited by Willsy1980

If I had a place to store a car off the road, I'd totally keeping it. But living in a modern housing estate on the south coast and having to have a daily driver that just works every day without worrying what it's going to cost me this month, means I have to move on. 

Such a shame, I'd get it fixed if it were me. But as you say if it's a money pit maybe cut your losses. 

My brother has had his BMW 140i manual in alpine white for about four weeks now. It's an absolute machine. 340bhp as standard. He is getting a de resonated pipe and sticking with oem backbox. It pops and crackles as standard but he wants it louder. 

What I like about the zed is you get E46 M3 chasing performance for a fraction of the price and no M tax. 

Slowing getting used to the M240i, I'm finding the ride starts to feel very jigglely (technical term) after a longer drive in it though. Wondering about softer walled tyres for it.

Still missing the sound and looks of my Zebedee though :-(