23rd September 2017

davey_83

18 minutes ago, mattross1313 said:

Not sure for mobile, but on laptop there is an option to hide the signature for a specific user, or all users.

Needless to say I have just this second enabled that option :lol:

That's a signature! I thought it was a repeat post! That's annoying lol!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Its a puzzle no doubt, however to even consider that two of the animals would get a text to say head to the boat and follow this gps is wonders in itself and no doubt a miracle? Either it all happened or non of it happen is the debate, not the how did they all get along during the time afloat as the miracle has already happen to get the animals to the boat in the first place.

Scientist fill gaps in knowledge with theory, which is basically I have no idea but this is what I think. I cant test this nor can I replicate it but for now these ideas are the best I can muster. The Bible leaves no gaps, the only gaps left by the Bible are our own understanding of the scriptures.

Job would not have been able to imagine what God described to him long before Jesus, however now we would know it to be a dinosaur.

Information is stored in the blood about a person, bible said long before medicine came to understand this.

Commination at the speed of light was stated in the Bible long before electrify was invented.

Yes all guess work it would seem?

Miracles are in my belief system and not in science, however we are all here somehow. Bible provides its reason for this - science doesn't nor will it ever.

See I would have to disagree here, the bible is full of theory filling gaps. God is a theory (as no one has ever proved he exists) and fills the gaps in a similar way Hawking might theorise around black holes using mathematics and extrapolated modelling and the like.

In terms of the Ark, I think that given many writings around the globe at the same time make no mention of the world flooding, that the likely scenario was a combination of a big localised flooding event, a guy with a boat, a few local large farmlands with animals and someone documenting it in a way that made it sound a lot more exciting than it actually was. 

I genuinely don't understand how any reasoned person these days could believe in any religion at all. I cannot get my head around how it's possible to believe fully in something so utterly obviously made up thousands of years ago, and then butchered time and time again in translation, much less how there are a million sky fairies and they're all the right one.

Davey, I have a lot of respect for you taking the time to answer my questions, it cannot be easy trying to justify yourself and your beliefs when you're one voice amongst many as on here. Politics I can argue about with friends until I'm blue in the face, but this thread is making me distinctively uncomfortable. For that reason, I'm also following Aliveboy and leaving this thread.

• Like 1

Yes same tbf, a fair amount of God believing folk must be on the forum however me to fight the flame so to speak but its more than ok.

Back to the cherry picking................ The bible is a book ultimately, much like a film. Books are turned into movies and movies to books. Parts of the bible have also had movie adaptations. Two people can read the same book or watch the same film to which one says WOW best film ive ever see. While the other says yeah, was decent can take it or leave it. Who is right? they are both right imo and still took the time to watch the film.

we are all individuals with our own minds, of all the billions of people on the earth we are all different, even identical twins are different. So one would be well within their mind to take from a book what they feel to them is right in their own understand and return possibly later to bits that don't.

My ol dear has read the Bible 5 times (and counting) and each time its different, as more is revealed about scriptures. Clearly and factually this is true. Did anyone watch Inception? the first time I saw it I was along for the ride and enjoyed the rollercoaster  that was in front of me with the awesome special FX's. the second time I watched it again at the cinema, I knew the fx's where there so was able to see the detail in the story and actually enjoyed it more the second time round. I would imagine the Bible is the same.

The emotion of love for one another did not come from the Big Bang. Over and over divine knowledge is shown in the bible long before man even had a clue and not from guess work.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

Your mum has read it more than 5 times. That right there is why your trapped my friend, you never stood a chance to be fair. 

You are wrong though, I can state that with upmost certainty. However you also appear to be happy living in total ignorance of fact and if that's the case who am I to judge.

Peace ;)

Wrong, she has read it that many times since I had grown up and left home I was already onboard.

I understand the thinking behind not believing I really do, the Bible to most lacks compelling evidence and even if it did it was wrote thousands of years ago and somehow time kills truth. You ask my grandad how bad was Hitler you can imagine the answer. You ask a kid down the road how bad was Hitler and the answer would be very different. You ask the old workers from Longbridge how they felt about what happen to Rover. You ask a young mechanical today and you'll get very different answers to the same question.

We know about the wars and how awful they were but does it play on you mind, do you think about it day to day...... No because it happen years ago. Same for the Bible, it all happen so long ago. Same for jesus, he not even in the thoughts of people today. Not one bit even though the year is 2017 all around the world, what stop the clock? How do we have BC and AD evenyone uses these dates? BC and AD.......... But why? Man's idea, no major event 2017 years ago..... 

This is a fact of life, time kills truth unless it's something that has been tested and is of human interest going forward time kills. 

It really hit home for me the power of not believing, when I learnt that David Attenborough a man who has by far seen more wonders of the world than any living person or will ever see and doesn't believe in God. He has seen the worlds most beautiful and stunning sights. Incomparable feats of nature and even sights that will never been seen again however in his mind it's all come to be by chance. This world that is just cool and yet warm enough to sustain liquid water, is hear all by chance with no reason at all. No point to it, insignificant. Made me sad, but I understand that if he doesn't then most also do not - but it's ok.

Edited by davey_83

It wasn't truth to begin with though. It's just a succession of various forms of worship that culminated in mono theism. What part of our thousands of years of existence without it before mono theism can't you grasp :)

Social order within an empire takes many forms. You are following one that unfortunately has ingrained itself in modern times. It's vastly flawed in the main and only redeems itself by hitchhiking on our natural empathic tenancies.  

It's time to see the light and live, I have no time for the self professors of doom that religious folk are.

2 hours ago, BobbyZ said:

Just remember that we still have lots to discover about our existence - it's a foolish man who thinks he has all the answers. 

This just about sums it up nicely ^^

Open your mind and wonder in reality not fiction.

Very much doubt anyone has said they know everything about everything......... 

We know my beliefs clearly, what are yours about how we came to be and why? any facts, doesn't matter, don't care or no facts like the Bible...... *Your thinking 

Don't get hung up on facts, not everything real can be proven with facts - FACT

Edited by davey_83

unlike me to get on a soap box but i think conversation is good but this is starting to become a bit bullyish 

I mean David can believe in what he needs or want to as long as it isn't hurting you why keep digging? The time spends arguing the fact is wasting time spend doing what you want with the time you have, ultimately the Atheists should take the most note of that. If David believes in an afterlife he has all the time in the world to argue as people who believe you rot in the ground your time is limited.

• Like 1

I'm sure atheists would chill out more if this garbage wasn't so ingrained in governance and establishment thinking (not specifically a UK comment as secularism is gaining ground) . This is changing slowly and it's not bullying to try and argue something so deep in the psyche of those who just can't think reasonably.

Yes it's everyone's choice to believe what they want. 

Holy writings if indeed so should be followed to the letter, but hey because they are so vague they are open to different forms of interpretation when it suits. In the main though they are totally irrational and as such I will always think personally those who fall for it belong in a time gone by and have no place trying to influence humanity in the 21st century.

A wise mind is an open one, I have never had an issue with those religious types who are unsure but choose to believe based on how they feel and are open to be proven wrong.

The trouble is most can't comprehend the concept their chosen belief may be wrong.

• Like 1

To be honest I think religion is too broad a term.

And there is a lot of good to be said for it.

Yes there's horrible stuff done in the name of it.

But there is in other walks of life, people just focus on the bad stuff, which is also narrow minded.

• Like 1

Let's not forget my past is littered with Catholicism :)

Thirty years ago I was Dave, in fact I was probably much deeper in to my old faith.

The mistake I made was educating myself to a point it all became so blindingly obvious man created it. At the time this revaluation really rocked me, however it was followed closely by that eureka feeling of freedom. The shackles that binded and controlled every aspect of my life were gone.

Yes I'm still tethered to other forms of social control just to survive in today's current system but at least the burden has lessened.

The tide is turning as reason wins but the last line of abrahemic belief Islam is gaining ground as Western culture becomes more secular.

Faiths last big battle is under way and us infidels need to me mindful of this. 

We've all seen the movie - highly respected doctor Prof. Sid Watkins, clearly a very intelligent man speaks about Senna spirit at the time of the crash. Now I won't pretend to know more than Watkins but he said what he thought.

Professional sports and athletes at the very highest level are said to have a gift. Nothing that can be manufactured taught, replicated, bought with money or wished for. Hitler tried his very hardest to manufacture track and field athletes for win gold at the Olympics and we all know what happen. 

These extraordinary men and women are blessed, born to be the very best at what they do. In the animal kingdom all tigers you'd maybe find to be generally the same, as you would expect monkeys and birds and dolphins compared to their peers. Bespoke humans as we are, are different and the way the best best footballers move on the field is a gift, it's not something that can be easily explained as to why Messi is different to Bob who plays Sunday league.

Point is for me if we were from evolution and no different from the animal, why is there a massive barometer between normal dudes and Tiger Woods? Unexplained by any measurable means......

Some horses run faster than others, same with dogs racing? Pro footballers need elite training over the young years of their life - some countries do it better than others (look at teenage brazilian, argentinian, german players vs young English players in terms of the last 30 years) - its clear youth development in the UK is not as good as elsewhere for reasons that are not divine, they are manufactured as horrible as it sounds. There are probably hundreds of people out there that could be as good as Messi if they had the opportunity, training and commitment but they chose to do something else - hell some of them may have never kicked a ball in their life. 

Its interesting though sport, Messi makes other players look normal, but you have to put it into a relative spectrum - margins in pro sport are tiny, and even a tiny advantage can turn you from a great player to the best player. Think about the 100m sprint, being 0.01 second faster than the man next to you separates you from being the best vs not being the best. And better training facilities and understanding of the body has enabled us to go faster, higher, further than ever (Russian doping aside!) - pretty much every athletic world record has been set in the last 5-10 years.