23rd September 2017

davey_83

The big difference I find is, if ALL texts in the world were destroyed, just one day they vanished and our memory of them disappeared too, what would return?

Science, being the replication of results under controlled circumstances would eventually come back to the same conclusions. It may take thousands of years, but the same experiments would still be possible and the same results would occur. If you stand in your average kitchen and let go of an apple a thousand times, it will hit the surface directly below it each time. If after those 1,000 drops you let go of the apple and it hits the ceiling, chances are some major variable has changed and not that a mystical being in the sky wanted an apple.

Religious texts could never appear in the same way as they are now, a guy called Jesus might turn water into lucozade, which is similar to what happened in the bible, but it's not the replication of exact same thing. Just as a bloke called Bill Shakespeare might write a book about two lovers with families at war with each other, but in this book it's Rachel and Julius.

Science is repeatable but still adapts to it's findings. Religion stands firm and says it's not changing.

• Like 1

Exactly, there are 'barriers' which we strive to break, but when you prove that simple things occur where there is no theoretical or assumed variable then that has to be the truth? We know how glass is made using super heated sand, because we make it, that's a scientific truth of how glass is made. You might in the future find another way of doing it but that does not change what came before it as a truth - so its not a lack of progression, its an acceptance that its truth that's how glass is made and an open mind that there may be in future another way of doing it.

Finding truth in something man made is a sure given and not something people dispute. Its finding truth in things not man made which is the kicker? Wouldn't it be nice know how the Egyptian pyramids were actually made?

CERN is a project a lot more scary than particle collision, another one of my pet concerns haha

Edited by davey_83

So when it rains, we have found out how that works. There are non man made things that we know truth of.

The Pyramids there are 3 or 4 solutions to how it could have been done, but the lack of evidence shows its not clear how it was done. What is clear is that its most likely that one of those solutions is more likely to be the solution than a divine being intervening. 

One thing that is interesting, is carbon dating - again proven to be highly accurate, and pretty much proves that nature, animals and people were around well before the claimed date of the arrival of the week a god made the world? How is that explained in religious terms? 

I don't think any of them explain science as an "organisation", I haven't seen a revised edition of any holy book either. Obviously some churches etc are more strict than others about certain things. There's a church near me who pride themselves in being accessible to the local gay community, despite their good book saying that it is a sin. I find that there is more weird things in the bible that have never been updated and/or addressed. Not my list, I did steal it, but I still found it interesting

Homosexuality is an abomination Leviticus 18:22

You should burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice to the Lord as it creates a pleasing odour for him Leviticus 1:9

You can sell your daughter into slavery Exodus 21:7

You are allowed no contact with a woman whilst she is menstruating Leviticus 15:19- 24.

You may have slaves, both male and female, provided that they are purchased from neighbouring nations Leviticus 25:44

If you work on the Sabbath, you should be put to death Exodus 35:2 

Eating shellfish is an abomination Leviticus 11:10

You may not approach the altar of God if you have a defect in your sight Leviticus 21:20

You can't trim the hair around your temples Leviticus 19:27

Touching the skin of a dead pig makes you unclean Leviticus 11:6-8

You can't plant two different crops in the same field Leviticus 19:19

If you use the name of "The Lord" in vein, the whole town should gather and stone them? Leviticus 24:10-16.

If you sleep with your in-laws, you should be burned to death Leviticus 20:14

1 minute ago, Jay84 said:

Some of that makes a bit of sense, my in laws are a pain to deal with, and I'm all for no work on Sunday. Don't quite fancy marching over the boarder for a Scottish slave though. 

Good use for the French though right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coldel said:

So when it rains, we have found out how that works. There are non man made things that we know truth of.

The Pyramids there are 3 or 4 solutions to how it could have been done, but the lack of evidence shows its not clear how it was done. What is clear is that its most likely that one of those solutions is more likely to be the solution than a divine being intervening. 

One thing that is interesting, is carbon dating - again proven to be highly accurate, and pretty much proves that nature, animals and people were around well before the claimed date of the arrival of the week a god made the world? How is that explained in religious terms? 

God's scale of time is very different to ours, put it this way we're still in the seventh day.

It's said there was never a rainbow in the sky before the great flood in Noah's day? Very interesting to know why, or rather ideas about this. 

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Finding truth in something man made is a sure given and not something people dispute. Its finding truth in things not man made which is the kicker? Wouldn't it be nice know how the Egyptian pyramids were actually made?

CERN is a project a lot more scary than particle collision, another one of my pet concerns haha

People built the piramids with blocks

and a

spaceship :p

5 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

It's said there was never a rainbow in the sky before the great flood in Noah's day? Very interesting to know why, or rather ideas about this. 

I find this one harder to digest if I'm honest. I found the science and the concept interesting on the OP with the astronomy and all. We know that light is split when passed through angled transparent object due to it being slowed slightly

The whole topic I find intriguing.

It's said the earth was made at zero degrees axis with no seasons, clouds would foam much like today and cool on the late evening allowing for rain at night fall. Ta damn, rain with no sun light means no rainbow. Seems far out to me and not what some Christians believe. 

See I just assumed seasons were caused the same way a badly balanced wheel on your car spins wonky that's what the earth did. All the slightly heavier Americans at Disney Land has offset our balance...or you know the shifting of continents away from Pangea.

I wonder if the other planets have irregular rotation like ours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

God's scale of time is very different to ours, put it this way we're still in the seventh day.

I could be wrong but converting that scale puts the earth at 6000 years old.