New member - Looking for advice!

Hi all - Just signed up in anticipation of buying a 350z over the next month or 2..

I've been keeping an eye on the market for a while and from what I've learned, there have been 3 engine changes since the 350's release.. DE, 2006 RevUp then the HR.

I've been told that the HR is the way to go but can eat through oil and if there are any clutch issues then it can be an expensive fix, the RevUp (2006's) can be more reliable?

My question is; what is the best engine to go for? I don't want one with over 75k on it and I've found plenty of examples with RevUp & HR but not sure which to go for!

I'm in no rush to buy and want to make sure I get the right car for me, I've got a 2015 Focus ST2 TDCi . It's booked in for some paint repairs and I'll just use my motorbike until it's ready to sell/px.. But I get excited and have a habbit of buying new toys with out thinking it through so I'm determined not to do that with a 350!

Any advice is massively appreciate!

Cheers!

Edited by Foo56

Edit: Welcome to the Forum :lol:

I wouldn't be too hung up on mileage, they're getting on a bit and a well looked after higher mileage will be better than a low mileage abused example. In regards to which engine to go for, we all extol the virtue of the one we own. The DE's are good for mods but star with a little less power, the Revups can have a habit of using oil, but have the newer front end and interior. The HRs have a bulging bonnet (very nice) can have issues with oil gallery gaskets, and as you say an internal slave on the clutch that can be pricey. Not all Revups consume oil, mine is a peach .

In truth they are all great cars that will make you smile. There are a load of links of what to watch out for when buying one.

Personally I'd check underneath for corrosion, the cooling fans engage, and good service history.

Edited by Jay84

as said above, all 3 variants are good cars.

Original DE is bulletproof, as are the other models. Plus cheaper tax.

The revup's can be known to burn oil but not all of them, lots of other cars are known to use a little oil. You just check and top up if necessary every once in a while. They have a few more bhp, but it's been said that they trade torque for bhp so the gains are not massive.

The HR is the fastest and newest. They have a few different interior and changes like the bulging bonnet which is nice, and 313bhp and a higher redline. But they'll run you 500quid a year to tax (as will any model registered after March 06).

Why not have a look on the zeds for sale section, there's a lovely red import with stupidly low miles. Mines on there too..

Either way good luck!

Newest, lowest mileage (as the UK is such a fickle place when it comes to sale time) and best condition you can get within budget - regardless of common problems etc do have some money back in case of problems, you don't want to buy a car that then sits outside for a month whilst you wait for pay day to fix something.

Thanks for all the advice! I was leaning towards HR but think that's settled it for me...

I went to look at: http://www.autovillage.co.uk/used-car/nissan/350z/mtz_14837_44897436 (can't link for some reason?).

Seems over priced compared to all the others I've seen, the paint work was ok (not great) and the interior door handles etc where scratched up. Did like the cream leather though :O. Was going to bid him at 9k with a max of 9.5k and he can take it or leave it (if it's still there in few weeks).

Thanks for all the advice! I was leaning towards HR but think that's settled it for me...

I went to look at: http://www.autovilla..._14837_44897436 (can't link for some reason?).

Seems over priced compared to all the others I've seen, the paint work was ok (not great) and the interior door handles etc where scratched up. Did like the cream leather though :O. Was going to bid him at 9k with a max of 9.5k and he can take it or leave it (if it's still there in few weeks).

Just make sure that it is an HR: ;)

I've been looking and I'm tempted by this one (as it seems very cheap!?): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-350Z-GT-2007-includes-Nissans-2007-upgrade-Engine-Air-Intake-/292157407280?hash=item4405f04030:g:a70AAOSwfpVZGKas

Concerns are that it could well have been ragged and the mileage is higher than I was looking for (though still not too high!). Too good to be true perhaps??

Mileage isn't too bad, and little under average for age. It has some history too, but I don't know enough to know if its full. Not sure I'd trust a KF service, not because I work for halfords, as I wouldn't trust them either lol. There are some desirable features, the seats split opinion. Its low now but he wants closer to 10k for it. I prefer to buy standard cars as it assumes it hasn't been thrashed. Best thing would be to go and have a look and see if a local member would mind going with you.

Oh its a Revup that one not a HR

He says it's 56 plate with the new engine (HR).

The KwikFit services did worry me tbh, also not had one in a while!

Will see if it's still on there in few weeks and may have a look.. Not a fan of the foot well lights (or the orange seats) tbh!

Happy to help mate. Its unlikely to be, but I wont slate the guy as they could be a member on here. When I first got mine I didn't know these things but the forum is great and everyone is really helpful.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Had my HR nearly 4 yrs now and am very happy with it. Try to exercise a bit of patience if poss and take your time with your search. The right one will show up. Took me about 4 months. Best of luck....you'll love it!

So after loads of searching, I found one I wanted that ticks all my boxes!

FSH, 42k miles, 313 GT with all the options.. Picking it up in a few weeks.. can't wait! :yahoo:

Only negative point I could find are some scuffs on the interior door handle, but I've seen this on pretty much all of the 350z's I've looked at. I'm sure I'll be able to respray it easy enough?!

PS - Selling 2015 Focus ST TDCi, deep impact blue 30k miles!

nissan-350z-S2982031-8.thumb.jpg.4248bad7a31f01d149bba8724aeea455.jpgnissan-350z-S2982031-1.thumb.jpg.c84de7eefd0d9eaa3d7b0d8fcf893208.jpg nissan-350z-S2982031-4.thumb.jpg.2c1a7f7468daa88086312f7e0129bacc.jpg

Edited by Foo56
  • Like 1