Tyre Guru's, Assemble

awlp

Hiya

It's new tyre time for the 370, and I'm wondering what way to go. Now, the front two have plenty of life left, the rears have about 1-2k, but I want them replacing as they're to low for my liking. I'm currently on Bridgestone Potenza RE050a's all round.

I've always stuck to the same tyre all the way round, so am I better off with Potenzas again, instead of putting the new Michelin MPS4 (that's probably wrong, but you know what I mean...) on the back? I think I know the answer, but I need someone who knows more to tell me!

If it helps, I do about 5k a year, mainly dry weather driving as I don't commute.

I'd do all four, but I've got new discs and pads, insurance, tax and MOT in the next month :scare:

Cheers!

Edited by awlp

If budget is tight and you are not someone who likes to explore the grip levels to the limit then another pair of the Potenzas with a view to changing next time around when wear/grip limits start being an issue for you 4 to (say) MPS4S. (Note the extra S so you don't end up with the MPS4 that are not recommended, particularly for the ulimate grip.)

That is what I would do rather than having differing makes/compounds/tyre construction albeit a pair on the same axle, but others will argue you would be fine - but not me though.

• Like 1

It's not ideal running mixed rubber, but you won't crash and die, despite what some people will tell you. I've been running mpss on the rear and vreds on the front for a while now as my fronts were new and didn't want to buy 4 new tyres (Vreds were discontinued or I would have stuck with them). I've driven in the snow and a very wet track day at Bedford and had no issues whatsoever.

Not ideal, but if you want to change brand, it is a cheaper way of doing it rather than all at once. Or you could just stivk with the Bridgestones as they are a decent tyre?