Do Big Silly Wings Work?

WillisRR

A friend and I have started our own channel (nothing new or different i know as every wanabe car journo/driver has one now) that aims to shed light on real world applications, builds and progress along with advice to get into track days, basics, driving etc.

One of the first videos in the series is this real world back to back test we did at Cadwell Park on his MX2000 with and without Voltex rear wing. The footage/results as you can see really speak for itself...

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

BGWs definately work. I had one on an old skyline. I took it off and the car was a lot more tail happy. And that was just on the roads with 400bhp so on a track with more power I think the advantages would be more evident

Big Wings definitely work. Anyone who's paid attention to Japanese motorsports will remember this video from years ago.

Car is massively unstable without a big gay wing, it's not just for show haha.

• Like 1

Hehe yeah the mx2000 is a right rocket! S2000 motor we are now fitting a HKS Supercharger too! Thing is going to be ballistic. Was crazy enough NA!

The basics of the video show a massive improvement in rear end stability. Crazy effective! We were genuinely shocked on the day.

Then looking back at datalogging we couldn't believe terminal speeds due to drag hadn't really been effected either!

Few vids in the series but would love suggestions or ideas on stuff you would like covered? I know this forum is full of reall knowledgable guys and the information is far below what you guys would want. It's more aimed at people just getting into this hobby/curse :).

Edited by WillisRR

We were unable to get a completley clear lap with the wing on. With just a rear wing it wasn't much faster in all honesty, but it's clear from the video how much easier the car was to drive at the same speed when directly compared. Slightly higher corner entry speeds and the rear wing made it faster on corner exits, especially the bumpier corner exits. It isn't until you add front aero that you see your efforts properly pay off.

Regardless of this, the more rear end grip/stability means a faster lap time can now undoubtedly be achieved, the direct comparison undeniably confirms this. Also means you can add more front end grip without ruining the cars balance/ making it harder to pedal... Which is exactly what was done next with a large front splitter and canards.

32759313254_c3ecd7e4a1.jpg

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

It's tricky because i am not after 'the ultimate' out of the 350z. I love it loads but trying to find more and more pace is just going to cripple me haha. I went too far on previous builds when really i should of realised I had hit the 'ceiling' of that certain build and enjoyed as is until i wanted more. It wasn't my intention to even go as far as I have with the 350z but the base was that good I thought it deserved properly perusing to make my humble, affordable version of a 350z 911 GT3/CAMYMAN R/Z4M etc (I know people may scoff at that but i really believe it is the best budget alternative and 350z prices will rise in the next few years, i am sure of it). All the mods I have done have been to make it track worthy enough and more engaging/rewarding to drive over all out pace.

Between building an Aero package for the MK ready for May, Currently developing a Supercharger kit for the MX5 (Avacado), affording all the track days and Nur trips I cant go as mental as I would like on the 350 right away. It looks respectable at the moment too and as said in the vid, these 'time attack' mods can suddenly make a very sleek and sexeh car look completely 'barry boys' worthy. Next up for the 350 has to be the final drive and mech diff build but this is a big investment for an already dwindling bank balance haha! Money I am trying to hold back incase anything pops up too. If the CBR motor failed, Clutch or bottom end shat itself on the 350 i would be pretty KOd right now haha!

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

Yep it totally makes sense, although it's bloody hard not to do 'just one more thing'.

I have a set list of things I want to do, and it hasn't massively grown over the last year, I guess technically it's shrinking as I'm chipping away at it over a long time :blush:

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the next additions :)