What's going on with my fuel consumption?

Danny350z

So since I bought my Zed in Dec 2006 my fuel economy has always been an average of 19.8mpg, even after having the Nismo fitted, etc.

Then, over the last few weeks I've watched as it's slowly started to drop, despite no change in style of driving, still driving the same routes, etc. At the start of this week it dropped to 17mpg, todays it's at 16.9mpg.

My DTE came up as 20 miles to empty the other day so I stuck £20 in, reset the odometer and now, 30miles later the light is back on and it's showing 20-30miles DTE.

Should I be a little concerned?

on avg...from what I have seen so far...the Z gives about 4miles/litre...this is in london driving style!!!

at £20 (about 18litres) you should get around 65 miles unless you push your right foot through the floor and touch the road.

the glitch here is that you are depending on the DTE reading for your info...DTE readings are directly linked to fuel gauge and MPG calcs of the ECU. I personally dont trust the DTE reading...As that is calculated with a buffer of about 10litres in the tank at least. (you can drive another 40-75 miles atleast when the reading is -----)

but in your case I dont think there is anything wrong... 30miles DTE + 65miles fuel - 30 miles = approx DTE of 20-30 miles.

So nothing to worry about...IMO. Hope it works out the same way in your calculations.

Bobby

Danny, are there puddles of petrol on your driveway?

16mpg sounds very low to me. I do a fair mix of urban and motorway driving and my average reading is 25.6mpg (last reset on 16th October and 6,500 miles ago).

I'd get it checked out if I were you.

+1, that sounds like al lot of consumption for the miles :blush:

No puddles I can see. I'll see if it drops from 16.9mpg to 16mpg and then get it checked. It was always a fairly consistent 19.8mpg for town driving being reasonably sensible. Since fuel prices have gone up I've been more sensible than usual so I'm surprised it's suddenly started to drop so much.

No puddles I can see. I'll see if it drops from 16.9mpg to 16mpg and then get it checked. It was always a fairly consistent 19.8mpg for town driving being reasonably sensible. Since fuel prices have gone up I've been more sensible than usual so I'm surprised it's suddenly started to drop so much.

Do you use 3rd gear and above? :headhurt:

Do you use 3rd gear and above? :headhurt:

Wait... what??!?! This stick thing goes above 1?

at £20 (about 18litres) you should get around 65 miles

Shine a light - just did some quick maths !! :wacko:

For me thats 65 each way = 130 miles = £40 per day x 5 = £200 per week!!

Current cost per week in Diesel about £81

I think I defo need to get my VW van also and use that a few times a week!! :surrender:

Does sound like its running on the heavy side, zorst should have nothing to do with it. Faulty fuel pump / fuel rail perhaps?

Also what petrol you putting in? Do you use the same filling station? Tried running to empty and then running other brand? I seem to get more out of Tesco and shell optimax than I do out of BP...

You had an oil change recently?

at £20 (about 18litres) you should get around 65 miles

Shine a light - just did some quick maths !! :wacko:

For me thats 65 each way = 130 miles = £40 per day x 5 = £200 per week!!

Current cost per week in Diesel about £81

I think I defo need to get my VW van also and use that a few times a week!! :surrender:

It doesn't work out quite like that. I used to do 500 miles a week in mine which would be a tank and a half, which was just less than £100 per week at the time. £200 is way off :thumbs:

£200 is way off

Thanks goodness for that - thanks :thumbs:

That would have been a major show stopper for me - other than insurance being stupid - must be my postcode I think - anyway found the car I want just need to get a few things in place first - where's the nearest bank to rob! :wacko: