Dash Cam Installation

Colin747

Stuck on the windscreen near the rear view mirror using the suction cup*. You can just tuck the cable behind the headliner and other trim and route it to a 12V socket.

*Mine refuses to stick to the black dotted area, so it's slightly to the side, but you can 3M tape a Pringles lid to it (or anywhere else) and then mount the suction cup on that.

Used to have it mounted on the rear window facing forwards between the headrests to give a view of the dash etc, but the image quality of the road was crap.

Edited by Strudul

Depends which one you get. I've a Blackvue, stuck behind the rear view mirror and then I just run the cable in the headlining and down the a pillar trim, then under the dash and plugged into a 12v socket. That's how most people do it I think, you get a shed load of spare cable.

Depends which one you get. I've a Blackvue, stuck behind the rear view mirror and then I just run the cable in the headlining and down the a pillar trim, then under the dash and plugged into a 12v socket. That's how most people do it I think, you get a shed load of spare cable.

What model of Blackvue do you have and what's your opinion of it? The form factor of the Blackvue cameras seem really nice.

Routing is excellent on the 350, just tuck it into the headlining around to behind the drivers seat and plug it into the rear 12V.

I can't seem to get mine to still well to the screen, though. I have a phone mount thats been there about 6 months and hasn't moved an inch, but this POS falls off all the time :rant:

Routing is excellent on the 350, just tuck it into the headlining around to behind the drivers seat and plug it into the rear 12V.

Same route for mine to the rear 12v supply via the b post and loose behind the passenger seat, front 12v i use for sat nav when needed or phone charger.

Much as everyone else has said behind the mirror and run the cable down round the headlining and to the socket, personally I had a second socket wired in so I could still use the front one, gets used to charge the phone etc at times so didn't want to lose it

Ed

I wouldn't bother with a suction cup, unless you plan to regularly attach/detach, go adhesive for less bulk and better contact, get it tight up behind the mirror and if you want to go full stealth, it's dead easy to pick up a piggyback fuse and 12v to 5v converter to pick up an ACC fuse in the drivers footwell.

I managed it, without breakage, it must be easy :)

This was useful http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/112255-hardwiring-the-dash-cam/

Um, oops, sorry, can't do the quote thingie.

SS - re the above, if you tuck it behind the rear view mirror will it work with the black dot matrix in the way.

I'm thinking of buying the mobius, as it's small, screen not reqd. Main reason being I want the parking mode function.

My concern is will it have to be hung well away from the mirror & therefore in sight, will this encourage a break in?

Similarly in the rear it will need to be hung very low due to the black strip & rake of the rear screen.

The stealing fear is causing me to hesitate at the minute.

This might sound stupid but how are you guys fixing the cable to the headliner/pillar etc? Or are you removing it and fitting the cable underneath?

Literally just push it under it, there's enough slack that the lining will pop away enough to accept the cable then pop back in position holding it.

I agree with Stu, I don't like suction cup either. The Blackvue also cannot be readily seen from the outside unless you're really looking, due to shape and where it sits.

Um, oops, sorry, can't do the quote thingie.

SS - re the above, if you tuck it behind the rear view mirror will it work with the black dot matrix in the way.

I'm thinking of buying the mobius, as it's small, screen not reqd. Main reason being I want the parking mode function.

My concern is will it have to be hung well away from the mirror & therefore in sight, will this encourage a break in?

Similarly in the rear it will need to be hung very low due to the black strip & rake of the rear screen.

The stealing fear is causing me to hesitate at the minute.

I literally just ordered a möbius for my new whip about 30 minutes ago from here: http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-action-camera-dash-cam-version.html You can add the hardwire kit or memory cards (looked a bit overpriced to me) to your purchase and they also preconfigured the firmware for dashcam mode, not essential but a small job saved.

As per above you can tuck it by hand, though a trim pry tool kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/131794350416?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=40208335658&rlsatarget=pla-277438331693&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006532&device=t&campaignid=738217568&crdt=0&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F710-134428-41853-0%252F2%253Fmtid%253D1673%2526kwid%253D1%2526crlp%253D172723032140_563391%2526itemid%253D131794350416%2526targetid%253D277438331693%2526device%253Dt%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253a%25252f%25252fwww.ebay.co.uk%25252fitm%25252flike%25252f131794350416%25253flpid%25253d122%252526chn%25253Dps%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D1006532%2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D738217568%2526adgroupid%253D40208335658%2526rlsatarget%253Dpla-277438331693%2526gclid%253DCLPo6saw2NICFQuNGwodc1cIhQ%2526srcrot%253D710-134428-41853-0%2526rvr_id%253D1183270243039 is always handy for tucking things away and a trim tool kit is just a super useful thing to have in your locker, and great value, beats the rag and screwdriver approach every time. What can you even buy for £1.89 these days!

Mine in the Zed is adhered to the black/metalled area but points just below it, so it's very hard to see from outside especially in low light, I don't worry it makes the car a theft target. From there it still gets an unobstructed image, some minor adjust is probably required after you check you first test footage but it's easy enough to line up by eye due to the wide viewing angles.

As per above you can tuck it by hand, though a trim pry tool kit http://www.ebay.co.u...3D1183270243039 is always handy for tucking things away and a trim tool kit is just a super useful thing to have in your locker, and great value, beats the rag and screwdriver approach every time. What can you even buy for £1.89 these days!

I think for £1.89 that's worth a go haha I assume it's the same deal with the pillar as well - just jam it in?

it's dead easy to pick up a piggyback fuse and 12v to 5v converter to pick up an ACC fuse in the drivers footwell.

This is what I have done on my past 2 cars, its easier to run the wires to a fusebox and hook up to a 12v supply when the ignition is on i.e. wipers etc. Then it comes on when you turn the car on and goes off when you turn it off ðŸ˜

SS - Thanks for the reply, guess I've gotta go for it but living inner city still nervous re theft when the suns shining on it, we''ll see.

SS - Thanks for the reply, guess I've gotta go for it but living inner city still nervous re theft when the suns shining on it, we''ll see.

You can't live in fear mate.

If where you are in Leeds is more deprived than where I am in Blackpool, then save the dash cam money for a move somewhere else :lol:

• Like 1