2007 Madza RX8 buy

davey_83

Last night the brother in-law message me saying he's just bought a 57 plate Madza RX8, the one in the link below.

Anyone on here have one or previously owned, as the internet has scared me $hitless about ownership however from what I gather in the day they were/are a rival to the Z33.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703103144550?price-from=500&make=MAZDA&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=b330xj&model=RX-8&page=5

IMG_20170312_152307_zpslqzvowlc.jpg

The 231hp ones arent more of a rival , the economy on these can be a little scary , a friend of mine averaged about 20mpg out of his , there are horror stories and the engines do wear but buying from a trader should alleviate most of those fears , fantastic handling cars though and the engines are a peach when running well

• Like 1

I owned one before my 350Z, I had the 230 one and I loved driving it and just being inside it, but not as quick as I thought it would be, so anyways the rotor tips ended up going on mine after 2-3 months of ownership, which requires an engine re build! Got quoted £3000+ for one....but didnt end up doing it and sold it. I guess if its well looked after in its previous history than they would last longer, im pretty sure the newer models dont have this problem E.G. R3. Handled great and sounded nice B)

MPG was worse than my 350Z, quite noticeably as well, theyre great cars its a shame about the running costs and lack of performance.

Tell him to get over to RX8 owners club forum, lots of great info on there!

Edited by Holfy92
  • Like 1

People get terrified about oil usage and engine rebuilds, but they don't realise that rotary engines are specifically designed to use oil injected from the sump as well as wear the tips of the rotors, so although they seem to be terribly fragile that's just how they are!

Assuming he had a compression test done (if not do so asap), install a Sohn adaptor and feed the engine two-stroke instead. Easiest thing in the world to do, much easier to keep the engine in good nick then.

• Like 1

Only saving grace is they cost PEANUTS to buy. None runners needing a rebuild are sub-1k. DIY engine rebuild for surprising little money,or pay a few grand to somebody, and you're laughing.

Never owner one but had loan of one a few times, lack of torque takes some getting used to (as does the rev limit buzzer, which you will hear frequently if you're driving it properly), but once you adapt your style it's fine for what it is ðŸ‘

• Like 1

P.s for the op, a compression test is not the same as a std piston checker, you need a proper mazda rotary compression checker which measure each part of the triangular rotor, so you end up with 3 readings per rotor. Mazdarotaryclub is another good forum with some great info and guidance.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

I put a lot of research into buying one of these because they are sooooo cheap, but changed my mind and got a famous s2000 instead.

In my hours of research, I read people saying it'll go through somthing like 1 litre of oil every full tank of fuel, obviously if you tootle everywhere it will be less.

Also the many many many people were getting blown engines before 50 k, hence why there so cheap and that's what put me off getting one, you'd have to make sure you always had 2k spare for a engine replacement.

On the other hand everyone said how well they handled and looked which i must agree with, I really do like to look of them and the sneaky rear doors lol, I'd just be too scared to give it a thrashing for fear of blowing the engine.

Should have got a 231 bhp one though, the price whould have only been a tiny bit more, like an extra £500 at most.

But I'm sure heel love the car and if he gets it compression checked etc so he knows just what kind of condition the engine is In and go from there.

• Like 1

Thats the irony, rotaries like being thrashed, keeps the build up carbon down on the tips. The general problem is as Ekona alludes to, when released people treated them like modern low maintenance piston engines, didnt check oil levels and or used the wrong oil, I.e not mineral and did short journeys, rotaries also dont like start stop short trips.

• Like 2

They're ace on track, very light and that engine revs to high heaven. Cheap to run as well, which is good.

Pretty much my thinking...... dont need silly speed, just RWD and fun! Worst case, the engines are not expensive to just drop another one in, sadly, if an engine lasts 3 track days, its cheaper to run than the GTR - not sure why I am laughing about that, but is funny for me :wacko:

• Like 1

Just reading the name gives me cold sweats. They say 1 in 3 die. well I had one, my mate did & so did his older bro .... they all died an 03 an 06 & an 07 all under 60k.

I'll never forget being the petrol station and praying for it to start after trying to turn it over twice already and some guy giggling then saying "I don't miss that" little did I know these prayers would become a ritual whenever I got into my car. Always had 2x5litres of oil in the boot. The first time I took it in I had a mate that worked at Mazda and he laughed "it's just gonna cost you more and more everytime you come back" which it did until I had to just admit defeat and sell it when it died instead of pay the 6k rebuild quote (car had already cost me 5k at this point) i genuinely think that car spent 4/5months of the year I had it in the shop. still sold for 3k though.. got myself an R33 GTST with the money, that's when the good times started 😂

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Apex Rotary will do you a warrantied rebuild for £2200, which includes porting and the standard 500mile oil change afterwards. Pick a non-runner up for a grand, do the rebuild and then you're good for another 40k miles at least. Sohn adaptor only another £200 too.

They're an absolute bargain of a car. Makes me want one now!

• Like 2

2017 Ekona track slag?

So i go round the other night to check out the kids new whip. Turns out he didn't take it for a test drive, didn't go out as a passenger either, didn't check cost of insurance nor arrange for a compression test or confirm what the warranty covers.

***Shakes head

IMG_20170312_172944529_zpsde2n9cv7.jpg

IMG_20170312_171640852_zps3rnf2awi.jpg

IMG_20170312_171648458_zpsd2tfdcl3.jpg

Goes it starts and sound good and had low mileage with few owners so did the deal, *shakes head again.

Edited by davey_83

Check that it starts when already warm. That's an early indication of failing apex seals.

An 07 will already have had the oil pipe and suspension corrosion issues sorted.

They are epic cars to blat around in. So well balanced. Made even better with a properly set up set of coilovers and some good rubber.

• Like 1

Check that it starts when already warm. That's an early indication of failing apex seals.

An 07 will already have had the oil pipe and suspension corrosion issues sorted.

They are epic cars to blat around in. So well balanced. Made even better with a properly set up set of coilovers and some good rubber.

They're stunning on R888s :wub:

Sounding better and better :D My first track day is at Thruxton on 31 March, will be out in the GTR, but will also be talking to a friend about storing a track car for me........

Brother in-law pop'd round last night to let us have a drive of the Rex. Drove really nice, feels low slung (not Caterham low but) and you can tell it'll hug the road at speed. Great steering feel and weight, light clutch with gear changes similar to an S2000.

Very strange having to wait till at least 5,000 rpm before you get going., but once up there, the free revving nature is pretty amazing - not to mention 9k shifting!!

Looking forward to some b road plays come the Summer against the Zed.

IMG_20170319_150810_zpsxookrbrv.jpg

IMG_20170319_150613_zps63r9glwg.jpg

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1