Zoom Q2n camera and a live video of my band.....

nowhereboy

Well for those following my other thread I think it's time to lighten the mood a little.

Recently acquired a Zoom Q2n camera and what a great little bit of kit for fellow musicians on here. The fully HD camera is built into a x/y mic and can cope with very loud live recordings, miles apart from the likes of a go pro or standard HD camera.

The following video is my first attempt at using it, I went as far as drinking a few beers and placing the camera on the top of my bass cab and pressing record, no messing around with amp placement or audio controls on the camera etc. The room we were practising in is also very small, not great for sound and it was very loud in their.

I'm really impressed with the results, I'm sure I will get much better results in a bigger room with some time spent arranging amp/PA placement too. Going to use a separate mic for vocal recordings next week as the vocals are quite muddy but overall I think this is a great tool for musicians who want to record gigs etc on the cheap. Obviously it's not suitable for EP recording's etc but it's good for what it is.

If you have a spare 5 minutes give it a listen, preferably with headphones or a decent speaker set up.

Side note - first practice in months so we are a little rusty. Any feedback on the music, song etc also welcome, I appreciate it won't be to everyone's taste :teeth:

• Like 2

Could do with finding a space lower down near the base drum, as it gets lost in the mix and the cymbols sound a bit tinny because of it. Also, was it a tad cold in there perchance?! :lol:

There's a great connection there between all of you, you feed off each other nicely. Much preferred it when the tempo increased, personally I'd consider holding that a little longer and shortening the slower parts to make it more dynamic. Loved the bass fills though dude, worked perfectly B)

In terms of recording quality, then yes, that's exceptionally good quality! I know how much of a pain it is trying to get good recording quality when in a room that small without the sound clipping. More of this please fella :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yes it was freezing!

No luxuries such as heat in Newcastle based practice rooms :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, this song is the only one like it out of our set list to be honest, obviously very dark and moody as Jay described.

We have quite a diverse set list, some really soft tunes with a strong groove and then some more modern sounding almost biffy clyro style stuff, right up to punk (ish) songs.

I'll mess around with the camera this Thursday at practice and post some other stuff on here. We have arranged to play in a much bigger studio this week so I'm hoping for better results.

Might try sticking a separate mic next to the PA to pic up the vocals better so I can adjust the tracks separately. We really need to get a new EP done with our current line up, I know the main promoter for the O2 academy in Newcastle and we are looking to get gig's supporting some big name bands on the main stage this year with a bit of luck.

• Like 1

Nice! Good moody sound - you should get writing and channel some of that angst of recent times? Heal thyself..

I bought a Zoom H5 over Christmas (as well as a Wildtronics amplified parabolic dish from eBay - for an utterly different outdoor application).

Zoom is good gear :thumbs:

• Like 1

I have no knowledge of music whatsoever I never know what category it goes in I probably don’t know the band/artist that performed it, even if I know all the words, it was said of me that the only musical instrument I will ever play is a cassette recorder :lol:

So I simply base it on if I like it or not and I actually thought that was alright :thumbs: defo post some more up for us to listen to and I will happily offer my expert opinion on them ;)

• Like 2