Buying a home - Overpriced

TomBorehamUK

• 2 weeks later...

Got through the contracts now, however there is an error on it with mine and my partners name.

Originally my name wasn't even on it! Solicitor amended this in red ink, now where it says the buyer, there's my name written above my partners in typeface.

Now we spotted her middle name is spelt wrong :rolleyes:

Phone to ask her to change it all in type. Again, solicitor said just to amend it in ink and it'll be fine....just to me it doesn't seem too "Professional" for such an important document!

Anyone had similar experience, am I wrong to insist the contract is redone?

Edited by TomBorehamUK

Amending in ink is fine. How do you think people used to do it before typewriters, or why they still make you sign it with an actual pen? ;)

Whats a "typewriter" Dan ???? :wheelchair:

Congrats!

Thanks Adrian, any update on yours?

Slow progress, but the good news is that sellers found houses (2 families living in the house hence the the 2 kitchens problem). One found a house with no chain, also good. The other says he's willing to move out sooner if his sale is not completed in time.

Another difficulty we had with finding lenders, not many considered us because the house was extended more than 40%, including Halifax. The house was doubled in size in 1992, just a bit over 50%. So many stupid rules...

Got through the contracts now, however there is an error on it with mine and my partners name.

Originally my name wasn't even on it! Solicitor amended this in red ink, now where it says the buyer, there's my name written above my partners in typeface.

Now we spotted her middle name is spelt wrong :rolleyes:

Phone to ask her to change it all in type. Again, solicitor said just to amend it in ink and it'll be fine....just to me it doesn't seem too "Professional" for such an important document!

Anyone had similar experience, am I wrong to insist the contract is redone?

My better half's house sale had this issue. The dotty old buyer decided late in the day that she wanted her middle name included in the contract. It was amended properly though, not in pen. Didn't take long. I'd get it done properly if I were you.

Edited by sipar69

• 3 weeks later...

I'd drive down there anyway, wherever they are. I once had to drive from Braintree to Hastings (where my solicitor was based) just to give them a kick up the arse. It worked!

That was the day I swore I'd only ever use a local solicitor for house stuff, regardless of it costing me a couple of hundred quid more. Worth every penny.

I'd drive down there anyway, wherever they are. I once had to drive from Braintree to Hastings (where my solicitor was based) just to give them a kick up the arse. It worked!

That was the day I swore I'd only ever use a local solicitor for house stuff, regardless of it costing me a couple of hundred quid more. Worth every penny.

I'd love to have the time for a 4-5 hour drive to Manchester :surrender:

Definitely agree on sticking with a local solicitor, will 100% be doing that next time around!

I can't understand why anyone would use a solicitor hundreds of miles away? You may save a few quid buts its nothing but agro. Appoint someone 5 minutes away and pay them a visit when they need a kick up the backside (which will be roughly 3 times a day)

We completed on our new gaff three weeks ago :)

used a local solicitor, came reasonably well recommended, and their office is a whopping 10 minutes from my office, so easy to pop in at lunch. Though actually only needed to go in twice, which is almost a pity as my solicitor was very cute :blush:

anyways, we went from offer acceptance to completion in just under 7 weeks, which aint bad at all. though there was no chain and the sellers were very keen to get the house shifted.

Just sorting out a remortgage on my flat which should be going through today as well - then we have about another month of decorating before we move into house, then get tenants in to rent the flat.

Our solicitor is pretty good but the seller's is utter pants. Our's emailed them a list of queries two weeks ago. Yesterday they claimed never to have received them (and were duly presented with both the original email and their own ackbowledement of it). :(

I just don't understand how solicitors are so sh*t. If they were bakers for 7 hours of the day and only did legal stuff for an hour a day, I could understand it, but this is their profession and what they do day after day.

• Like 5

I really have no Trust of Solicitors, either for a house conveyance or much else really.

Give me a Motor mechanic plumber, builder to deal with any day above a solicitor.

Andrew - who did you use, as I will need one shortly (I hope) I am guessing one in Banbury ?