Engine oil concern / type of oil

xxx180

Hi

My 2004 DE oil level was low when purchased. Had to put 2litres in to get to just below max on dipstick.

Was advised to use Granville Hypalube C3 fully synthetic 5w/30 to top up. 1500 miles later I'm off the dipstick low level again?

Car has no smoke at all from exhaust and runs very well. Just on 80k miles full service history etc.

Concerned with oil consumption and grade of oil used to top up. Any advise please welcome.

Thanks Colin

Assuming you don't have an oil leak (check for puddles under the car), that's gotta be an incorrect reading...?

Not to be patronising, but you are checking the oil on a flat surface after letting it cool down (overnight preferably), right?

Even the Rev-up DE, which is known for being rather thirsty with oil, shouldn't be that bad.

That oil should be fine. Any synthetic 5w/30 is okay, some are better than others, but not that significantly.

Edited by Strudul

Hi

Yes checked when cold. Found out how hopeless the dipstick was when warm to get a good reading😬 No leaks at all under car.

Will check again this weekend before I use car again. Thinking about dropping the lot to see what quantity in there ? Is it worth changing to different oil grade on an 80k DE do you think or stick to fully synthetic 5w/30?

Thanks for reply ðŸ‘

Just dipped again and on low level mark. When topped up I was approx 3/4 to full mark.

Guessing that's about 1 litre gone in 1800 miles?

Still seems high to me. This weekend think I'll drop oil to see how much and fill up with new.

Cheers guys

low to high on the dipstick is 1.5 litres on a DE so it looks like you're using 1 litre per 1000 miles ... mine started using oil in a similar fashion at about 70,000 miles ... I was a bit worried and started to monitor more often ... it got worse so I traded it at 77,000 miles

as yours, no leaks visible, no smoke etc. but the oil pressure was lower than it had been and that worried me even more so I got the gauge checked and it was correct ... as I say I traded it for a VW for the wife because I didn't want to sell to a forum member and I'd do exactly the same again

the bright side of my story is that my next car was a DB9 so I did OK on the deal :)

Usage I'm less concerned about, 2L and not even to the max mark on the dipstick shows the engine has been run far too low on oil. Now you're showing high oil usage, so I'd certainly be looking at getting a leakdown test done.

Please tell me you told the dealer the oil was too low as soon as you discovered it after picking it up?

• Like 2

Compression tests very good across all cylinders.

No leak test done yet however Looks like last service used a cheap grade mineral oil. Just ordered millers fully synthetic 5/30 from Opie Oils and new filter.

Should see a reduction in consumption hopefully.

Cheers

• Like 1